2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Isn't that the biggest issue with basically everything CFL though? The best talent will go where the money is.

It does. But he's heading there. Tells you about his potential.

Possibly the kind of guy who will still be drafted as a potential player to pay off down the road once his NFL opportunities are gone. 

So there is a guy like that who's heading to the NFL now.  But when you look at the France lineup you've got 3 guys who went to the NFL already and a now in a position to try the CFL.   I also keep hearing that the Mexican calibre of play is getting pretty good but I've yet to see an intriguing mexican prospect. Hopefully there are some gem's this year. 

Edited by Colin Unger

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Mulumba didn't participate in the combine, since he's going to the NFL (highlighting the biggest issue with this CFL 2.0 initiative) and the other Finland combine guy who played US college ball didn't make it due to travel issues.

I still have PTSD from drafting anyone with the name “Mulumba” or “Muamba” for that that matter. 

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Isn't that the biggest issue with basically everything CFL though? The best talent will go where the money is.

It does. But he's heading there. Tells you about his potential.

Right, but the NFL is doing a similar global initiative. That’s how this Mulumba guy is getting his shot. It just doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for it, but I’d be happy to see otherwise

21 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm no expert, but I doubt there is anything in Canadian Labour law that forces Canadian companies to hire X% of Canadian workers. The CFL has the ratio because of it's own rules and because they negotiated X number of Canadians with the union. Changing the number, which happens fairly regularly, requires the players signing off. 

There most certainly are laws that force companies to hire Canadians first before they can hire Americans. You kidding me?

23 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm no expert, but I doubt there is anything in Canadian Labour law that forces Canadian companies to hire X% of Canadian workers. The CFL has the ratio because of it's own rules and because they negotiated X number of Canadians with the union. Changing the number, which happens fairly regularly, requires the players signing off. 

100% the CFL has the ratio because the league implements it.   

Otherwise the Goldeyes would of been required to hire a certain amount of Canadian players......  and same with the Raptors.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

There most certainly are laws that force companies to hire Canadians first before they can hire Americans. You kidding me?

Like I said, I'm no expert. As you are, can you point me to where in Canadian Labour Law it says that companies must hire X% or X number of Canadian's. A quick google search turned up nothing.

Does the NHL require X number of Canadians per Canadian team or does each team choose the best players?

27 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Like I said, I'm no expert. As you are, can you point me to where in Canadian Labour Law it says that companies must hire X% or X number of Canadian's. A quick google search turned up nothing.

Does the NHL require X number of Canadians per Canadian team or does each team choose the best players?

I will search up the link. The NHL lobbied for an international league exemption from this statute and it was introduced into law in the early 80's. The NBA, MLS, and any other pro league that plays against US or international counterparts is also exempt. Because the CFL has no international franchises they are stuck adhering to the legislation.

Edited by GCn20

35 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't know if any rules exist now but a few decades ago the Fed. govt. bailed out the CFL with a cash injection so there may have been something behind it.   The bailout was denoted by Govt. of Canada stickers worn on helmets for a few years, I think it was around the time of Larry Smith

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

100% the CFL has the ratio because the league implements it.   

Otherwise the Goldeyes would of been required to hire a certain amount of Canadian players......  and same with the Raptors.

Goldeyes can only employ so many players at a certain level of experience and must roster 4 players classified as rookies.  In effect it functions the exact same as the CFL roster rules just that the restriction is on where the players are from and who is designated as a QB, not based on their years of experience.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Well first off anyone wanting to work in Canada who is not a Canadian requires a visa to do so, essentially approval from the Federal Government to work in Canada.  There are programs in certain industries that allow more foreign workers but in general it is pretty difficult to hire someone who isn't Canadian into the labour market unless it can be shown it is necessary.

Thus the question on every job application/in every interview...are you legally entitled to work in Canada?

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

21 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well first off anyone wanting to work in Canada who is not a Canadian requires a visa to do so, essentially approval from the Federal Government to work in Canada.  There are programs in certain industries that allow more foreign workers but in general it is pretty difficult to hire someone who isn't Canadian into the labour market unless it can be shown it is necessary.

Thus the question on every job application/in every interview...are you legally entitled to work in Canada?

Sure but that doesn't really apply to the CFL ratio. If you play sports or are an actor or several other industries, you can work in Canada pretty easily. Every US player is legally entitled to work in Canada and that includes the guys on the PR and the guys who don't even make the team.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't know if any rules exist now but a few decades ago the Fed. govt. bailed out the CFL with a cash injection so there may have been something behind it.   The bailout was denoted by Govt. of Canada stickers worn on helmets for a few years, I think it was around the time of Larry Smith

Yes, I remember that.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Goldeyes can only employ so many players at a certain level of experience and must roster 4 players classified as rookies.  In effect it functions the exact same as the CFL roster rules just that the restriction is on where the players are from and who is designated as a QB, not based on their years of experience.

Yes but that's to prevent a team like the Goldeyes from loading up on MLB cast offs.     

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Sure but that doesn't really apply to the CFL ratio. If you play sports or are an actor or several other industries, you can work in Canada pretty easily. Every US player is legally entitled to work in Canada and that includes the guys on the PR and the guys who don't even make the team.

Maybe Unknown Poster can shed some light since he I assume would pay for some American born wrestlers to come up to Winnipeg to wrestle?  

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Maybe Unknown Poster can shed some light since he I assume would pay for some American born wrestlers to come up to Winnipeg to wrestle?  

It doesn't really matter what the sport is. Wrestling, Soccer, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc. It's a bigger problem getting some players across the border than it is to get them a work permit once they get here.

23 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

They are entitled to work for the CFL under a work permit.  If they applied to work at McDonald's they wouldn't be able to.  Pro teams are exempt from having a labour market assessment.  In the real world outside of the TFW program that is what makes it basically impossible to hire someone who does not have resident status in Canada.   If import players are cut/retire they are simply treated as a visitor in Canada and cannot earn income unless they apply for residence. 

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They are entitled to work for the CFL under a work permit.  If they applied to work at McDonald's they wouldn't be able to.  Pro teams are exempt from having a labour market assessment.  In the real world outside of the TFW program that is what makes it basically impossible to hire someone who does not have resident status in Canada.   If import players are cut/retire they are simply treated as a visitor in Canada and cannot earn income unless they apply for residence.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with the CFL ratio.