3 stars plus HH Sacre bleu

wbbfan

49 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I saw that too...  his whole approach changed after that one interception

Meanwhile, VAJ throws one pick and goes right on playing duck and chuck into double and triple coverage.

I'm sure KJ knew the risks, but he also knew what it would take to possibly win. 

33 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Meanwhile, VAJ throws one pick and goes right on playing duck and chuck into double and triple coverage.

I'm sure KJ knew the risks, but he also knew what it would take to possibly win. 

khari plays to win, did it as a qb too, Lapo on the other hand always prefers to try and let the other team lose. It is the reason why we fired him as a head coach. Too many one score losses. 

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

This is so insane of a statement I can't even understand what you're a talking about. Not only is he BY FAR the best in the league right now, he is the best there has ever been.... Period. He is the very definition of the word "legend"... He's the most respected CFL media guy among his peers in the league. 

As both a fan, and someone who dissects radio broadcasts for a living, I can tell you better than most that Bob Irving is OUTSTANDING. 

GeeBrr says Bob Irving isn't very good?  Yep, just a well balanced comment while stumbling around in the wilderness.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Lapo has the ability to come out with a great offensive strategy and solid plays after a week of study and prep. When the execution is there, they often get an early lead. However, it's his in-game adjustments and play calls, mainly in the second half, where he falters. He just doesn't seem to be able to counter to what the opposing defence is doing as the game progresses.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Essentially, to help broadcasters get better, I listen to their work with them and point out things they did well, and things they can improve upon. It's called airchecking... Just one small part of my job. 

Impressive. I couldn't get my announcers to implement critiques when it was free let alone be paid for it. Well done. Are you a program director somewhere?

Btw...could someone tell me what "HH" stands for?

Edited by Deiter Fan

6 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

Impressive. I couldn't get my announcers to implement critiques when it was free let alone be paid for it. Well done. Are you a program director somewhere?

Btw...could someone tell me what "HH" stands for?

I'll let Noeller answer your broadcast question. As far as HH goes, it stands for Happy Honker. Back in the 70's & 80's on CJOB, Jack Wells would have an unsung hero award. Not for the guy who was the best Bomber on the field or for someone who scored the winning touchdown for the Bombers. It was for a player who worked hard all game long or did something special as a ST player. Someone on the team who normally isn't recognized but stood out in Wells' mind. He called it the Happy Honker Award & he asked fans coming home from the games at Canad Inns Stadium to honk their horns if they agreed with him. They always did.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'll let Noeller answer your broadcast question. As far as HH goes, it stands for Happy Honker. Back in the 70's & 80's on CJOB, Jack Wells would have an unsung hero award. Not for the guy who was the best Bomber on the field or for someone who scored the winning touchdown for the Bombers. It was for a player who worked hard all game long or did something special as a ST player. Someone on the team who normally isn't recognized but stood out in Wells' mind. He called it the Happy Honker Award & he asked fans coming home from the games at Canad Inns Stadium to honk their horns if they agreed with him. They always did.

Glad I asked. I never would have sorted that one out on my own.

Thanks.

Edited by Deiter Fan

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, jack has been dead for 20 years now so it's not like a lot of fans would know.

I well remember Jack but was clueless on the reference. Never really listened to games on the radio. Reception wasn't always guaranteed where I was so I listened to Whitman call the games on the tube. We used to rag on him as kids for his play calling but I'd trade a bus full of Rod Blacks for him now. He was exceptionally insufferable yesterday.

31 minutes ago, Starman115 said:

Lapo has the ability to come out with a great offensive strategy and solid plays after a week of study and prep. When the execution is there, they often get an early lead. However, it's his in-game adjustments and play calls, mainly in the second half, where he falters. He just doesn't seem to be able to counter to what the opposing defence is doing as the game progresses.

I don't even think it's that. I really do believe that Lapo anticipates what he thinks the defense will adjust to and tries to counter it regardless of what the opposing defense actually does. He stops himself before the other teams stop him.

18 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

I well remember Jack but was clueless on the reference. Never really listened to games on the radio. Reception wasn't always guaranteed where I was so I listened to Whitman call the games on the tube. We used to rag on him as kids for his play calling but I'd trade a bus full of Rod Blacks for him now. He was exceptionally insufferable yesterday.

Where did you grow up & where do you live now?

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't even think it's that. I really do believe that Lapo anticipates what he thinks the defense will adjust to and tries to counter it regardless of what the opposing defense actually does. He stops himself before the other teams stop him.

100% - he overthinks himself out of wins...  great OC until any adversity (even if its in his head)

3 hours ago, do or die said:

Lapo's playbook (which has looked great early, in a lot of games).....tends to completely shrink, as we try to "protect a lead" later in games......

O'Shea admits to instructing LaPo to run the ball to run the clock out on the last drive so it's not all on LaPo.

1:12 of yesterday's interview.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/09/21/coach-oshea-post-game-51/

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

O'Shea admits to instructing LaPo to run the ball to run the clock out on the last drive so it's not all on LaPo.

No, just 25 out of 30 min of the offensive play calling in the 2nd half...unless O'Shea had more involvement than that.

Admittedly I don't pay attention to other coaches post game interviews but O'Shea rarely tells us anything we couldn't have determined for ourselves by watching the game.

"Another drive, a few more points in the 2nd half and a stop..." 

"Pretty good command of the game early but we didn't play the 2nd half like that" 

"We didn't execute well enough to stop them"

"There were some execution issues in that last minute"

Duhhh.

The only hint of assigning blame or taking responsibility may have been when he said, "As coaches we have to look at what we called and what positions we put guys in...be hard with the grading and make sure we're getting better."

Surely this has been done numerous times over the course of the last few years yet doesn't seem to be having the desired effect.

As a fan I want to know just how much influence he's having on play calling. If LaPo and Hall are just following a cautious style being determined by him then maybe it's him that needs to get his s*it together...or go. If it's all being determined by the co-ordinators then they need to get it together...or go.

The fans that have been supporting this championship-less team for 3 decades have a right to know at whom to direct their ire. We surely deserve more then empty platitudes and cliches about needing to "learn from this and improve".

Seeing something like this from Hecht doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence

“I wish I knew why. This is the fourth time now we’ve been in a similar situation and three of them we ended up on the wrong side of it and on one we managed to hold on. I don’t know what’s going on and if I did , if anybody did, I guess we would have fixed it before the Labour Day game.

“Whether it’s self-scouting or guys self-assessing their own will power or maybe coaches assessing schematics or us as players having a higher sense of awareness for situational football… if you’ve got an idea I’d love to hear it, because four in a row is an ugly habit now so we’ve got to figure out what the hell is going on.”

Edited by Deiter Fan

I dunno, Hecht holding out his hands and shrugging could actually be a very diplomatic way of pointing fingers at no one in particular, and everyone at the same time.  Even a shoot-from-the-hip guy like Hecht isn’t going to stick his chin out and go, “you know the f$cken stupid blitzes coach Hall calls just hang us out to dry over and over”.

In some ways Deiter Fan, I agree that yes the progress isn’t as good as we fans would like it to be.  The shortcomings of the coordinators’ philosophies are still there, while Kyle Walters has built a roster that went from just being happy to be there, to the kind team that makes us argue about why they aren’t 11-2 or 12-1.

I also have to add that when O’Shea wants the O to run the ball, he probably envisioned the run plays that gashed Montreal in the 1st half, and Lapo just went full-Lapo...