World Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

As a Canadian Ukrainian Mennonite I stand with the people of Ukraine.  I hope that although I understand why Canada can't get involved formally that we can at least supply their people with technology to battle the Russian scum invaders.  As someone who was told from day one how bad the Russians are (why my ancestors fled Russian communists 100 years ago) I am cheering on the Ukrainians and hope that they can hold back the evil Russian hordes.  Otherwise this is going to get really ugly. 

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

Outstanding article.

I have read two novels by Vladimir Sorokin..... Brilliant author.  Read them start to finish without stopping.

Day of the Oprichnik: 

"Day of the Oprichnik, translated into English by Jamey Gambrell, is no earnest retread of Solzhenitsyn’s One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, even though Sorokin, a talented mimic of his fellow Russian authors, clearly intends the ironic echo. On the contrary, this short and savage offering puts the “dys” in dystopian in a way few novels bearing that label can claim. It’s an outrageous, salacious, over-the-top tragicomic depiction of an utterly depraved social order whose absolute monarch (referred to only as “His Majesty”) is a blatant conflation of the country’s current president with its ferocious 16th-century absolute monarch known as Ivan Grozny."

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/his-majesty-on-vladimir-sorokins-day-of-the-oprichnik/

Edited by Mark F

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-kyiv-business-europe-moscow-2e4e1cf784f22b6afbe5a2f936725550

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — In a dramatic escalation of East-West tensions over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian nuclear forces put on high alert Sunday in response to what he called “aggressive statements” by leading NATO powers.

The directive to put Russia’s nuclear weapons in an increased state of readiness for launch raised fears that the crisis could boil over into nuclear warfare, whether by design or mistake.

Putin’s step is “potentially putting in play forces that, if there’s a miscalculation, could make things much, much more dangerous,” said a senior U.S. defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Amid the mounting tensions, Ukraine announced that a delegation would meet with Russian officials for talks. But the Kremlin’s ultimate aims in Ukraine — and what steps might be enough to satisfy Moscow — remained unclear.

He's lost his ******* mind.

Slava Ukraini!