Pregame talk: Patriots North come to town

White Out

9 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

You can't have your cake and eat it too, either one of those guys would be a massive cap hit, and the team would suffer in other positions.

Sure.  We could have a QB making what BLM or Reilly do if we dropped say Neufeld and Matthews.  It would probably be worth it.  Problem is attracting those guys.  I don't believe either were truly testing the market.  Reilly wanted to go to BC, BLM was Calgary or NFL.

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

They build from the draft within, it seems every year there are new unproven guys on their squad that step in.... they certainly don't do it by signing players for $700,000 a year, Mitchell is the exception, not the rule.

It’s far less drafting than them having the best U.S. scouting and personnel department in the league by far. 

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sure... the point is, dollar for dollar, they get the most mileage out of their players without having to pay premiums to get big free agent signings.

You have to wonder if maybe we overpaid for Nichols also. I mean, are we getting our money's worth out of him?

6 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sure... the point is, dollar for dollar, they get the most mileage out of their players without having to pay premiums to get big free agent signings.

Other teams pay the premiums to get the players they let go because they have replacements just as good. 

1 minute ago, AKAChip said:

Other teams pay the premiums to get the players they let go because they have replacements just as good. 

Would Arbuckle excel behind centre on our team? I think he would. As would Harris and Fajardo, guys that can throw the ball accurately and with authority. 

Its not just the US scouting which is as others have said is the best in the CFL, its how they prepare their players. Flat out they just get them reps and opportunities that other teams don't. Marshall Ferguson was on 1290 earlier this year and discussed his team in Calgary's camp under the whole send a CIS QB to a CFL training camp program. He mentioned how he got reps in camp and was quizzed in meetings just like everybody else, experiences that he said other CIS QBs never get with this program. You think about that and then it makes sense that their QBs always look good, they've been able to start a number of backs the past few years that have had success and on and on down the line.

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Its not just the US scouting which is as others have said is the best in the CFL, its how they prepare their players. Flat out they just get them reps and opportunities that other teams don't. Marshall Ferguson was on 1290 earlier this year and discussed his team in Calgary's camp under the whole send a CIS QB to a CFL training camp program. He mentioned how he got reps in camp and was quizzed in meetings just like everybody else, experiences that he said other CIS QBs never get with this program. You think about that and then it makes sense that their QBs always look good, they've been able to start a number of backs the past few years that have had success and on and on down the line.

This kinda comes down to each generation of players training the following one. Locker room, social  and organizational culture are notoriously hard to change once established. 

Calgary has a tonne of injuries.  They are playing a backup quarterback.  They are on the road.  They will be coming off only 4 days rest.

Bombers have relatively few injuries.  They are playing their starting QB.  They are at home and have a full week of rest.

There are no excuses to expect anything other than a Bomber victory.

4 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

A key to this weeks game is going to be the crowd..... they will either pump Matty up with lots of loud support which he will then feed off of and have a monster game..... or they will boo him and it will be all over at that point.

This could be ugly if Nichols plays badly. I've seen this movie before and it usually ends with someones confidence crushed permanently irreparably.

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Lotta talk about the quality of our OL but I'm not convinced they've been very good during the last couple games. I think that interior and Hardrick playing injured has caused some issues for our offense... 

Anyone else here notice Harris has 4 fumbles in 7 games, I can't find a full listing of fumbles by other RBs in 2019 for comparison, but that seems like a lot to me.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

This is going to hurt, but try to imagine BLM or Mike Reilly lining up behind centre for the Blue and Gold. Now tell me, do we lose either game to Hamilton or Toronto?

But they play for other teams so why get all tied up in a knot over that? BLM lost 2 Grey Cups in a row he should have won. The GC loss to Hank was bad enough but to lose to a **** team like the Argos even with Ricky Ray was inexcusable. He has lost to Ottawa in Ottawa in the past in the season opener. Reilly's best days are behind him. He doesn't even look like a leader on the field anymore.  No use wishing for something we don't have & the price to pay to get one of those qbs is way too much.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Just so you know J5V, there are fans in Calgary that really don't like BLM. The feeling here is he's arrogant & self centred. He was under tremendous pressure to win last year based on the last 2 Grey Cups before it. I don't know what might have happened to that team had he lost a third. There are some that want Mitchell traded & to keep Arbuckle as the starter. Imagine what the Argos would give up to get him. So, every qb it seems has a segment of their fanbase that loves the backup better.

I will tell you this right now, it's not just Nichols with the offense. Yeah he wasn't great, hut other than  Harris who was va. Toronto? Nichols wasn't so bad you can say it was just him. I really truly believe it is the playcalling holding this team back. Just see it too often with Lapo back there regardless of who the qb is. Plays not to lose, which is a recipe for a loss.

Best thing that could happen to this team is someone to hire lapo as a head coach in the offseason. Now about someone else hiring Hall....

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I will tell you this right now, it's not just Nichols with the offense. Yeah he wasn't great, hut other than  Harris who was va. Toronto? Nichols wasn't so bad you can say it was just him. I really truly believe it is the playcalling holding this team back. Just see it too often with Lapo back there regardless of who the qb is. Plays not to lose, which is a recipe for a loss.

Best thing that could happen to this team is someone to hire lapo as a head coach in the offseason. Now about someone else hiring Hall....

I just can't buy the play calling excuse. 

Are you suggesting that LaPo is calling for 4 yard dump offs to Harris and having all of the receivers running routes as decoys?   I keep bringing it up but last year when Streveler was in ,  immediately guys like Wolly started getting targeted 10 - 15 yards down the field on plays that start out exactly like the ones that Nichols run.  

Also you can't fault LaPo when Nichols has time in the pocket and his receivers have to dive, jump,  fall back just to catch the ball.   

If I were to put a blame % between the two... it would be 80% Nichols and 20% LaPo. 

My only gripe with LaPo is that he doesn't use more sweeps and other plays (i.e. hand off to whitehead) when it's obvious late in the game that they will be running up the gut. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Lotta talk about the quality of our OL but I'm not convinced they've been very good during the last couple games. I think that interior and Hardrick playing injured has caused some issues for our offense... 

Nichols was almost completely clean in the pocket before Hardrick started having isses - you cannot expect that to be the case for an entire season. 

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Nichols was almost completely clean in the pocket before Hardrick started having isses - you cannot expect that to be the case for an entire season. 

Again, I think the new interior WAS good, but in the last two games they've had a lot of problems.