Pregame talk: Patriots North come to town

White Out

9 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Patriots north .?....lol....

I believe he's alluding to the fact that of late the Stampeders organization just seems to keep on winning in spite of adversity and critics... just like the New England Patriots in the NFL have been doing for years under Bellicheck and Tom Brady.

Fun fact: Calgary was originally founded as the "Calgary Grid Co-op", later changing their name to the Calgary Stampeders during their inaugural 1945 season. They were also graced with a perfect season (12-0) in 1948 accompanied by a Grey Cup win. The 1948 perfect season was the only one of the 12-game or 14-game eras. Under the 16-game schedule and current 18-game schedule, no team has ever gone undefeated in either format, the closest being the '81 Eskimos (14-1-1) and the '89 Eskimos (16-2-0).

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

With Dane Evans, how can Hamilton be a Tier 1 team?

In a word, coaching. Steinhauer stole O'Shea's lunch money as did Chamblin. I have more confidence in Hamilton finding a way to get it done than I do Winnipeg. I also feel that way about Calgary,  Sask, Montreal, Edmonton, and as we just saw, Toronto. I'm on the fence with Ottawa. They may get it together yet too. The only team I see with worse coaches than us is B.C.  I'll gladly change my mind if I see our coaches smarten up but as it stands, my confidence is shaken. Losing to an 0-5 team will do that to you.

19 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

You guys are way too pessimistic

1. We're currently still undefeated at home.

2. CAL comes to town off a short week.

3. Every game starts 0-0, despite what others posters here might be led to believe.

Here is how I see it - Calgary has a short week. They also have some injuries (as we do). We are at home. But and this is the difference to me. Calgary has a far better coaching and management team. They always seem to fill the holes when they lose folks and have injuries. Bombers not at that level. Calgary wins in a close game. We have the chance to pull out the win but MN yet again fails to take the team to a victory. Calgary 28 Bombers 27.

48 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Play a crappy game. Flush it and move on. Play 2 crappy games in a row it's time to look at why and how to fix it.

Step #1, stop killing your own momentum by getting ultra conservative with a lead. Momentum in sport matters, but our coordinators love to give the other teams momentum. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Step #1, stop killing your own momentum by getting ultra conservative with a lead. Momentum in sport matters, but our coordinators love to give the other teams momentum. 

Step #1 is to replace Nichols when he isn't producing. That gives Streveler much needed experience and a chance to win the game.

Step #2 is to be more aggressive when leading. Stop worrying so much about the picks. 

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Step #1 is to replace Nichols when he isn't producing. That gives Streveler much needed experience and a chance to win the game.

Step #2 is to be more aggressive when leading. Stop worrying so much about the picks. 

Step #1 is to install a game plan with a set of plays for Streveler and give him reps in practice so this is possible.  Lapo will not do this, and if Streveler gets into the game he's running that jumbo package or the plays installed for Nichols, straight drop backs that most QB's in this era really struggle with.

1 hour ago, BBRT said:

Here is how I see it - Calgary has a short week. They also have some injuries (as we do). We are at home. But and this is the difference to me. Calgary has a far better coaching and management team. They always seem to fill the holes when they lose folks and have injuries. Bombers not at that level. Calgary wins in a close game. We have the chance to pull out the win but MN yet again fails to take the team to a victory. Calgary 28 Bombers 27.

Until the past two games, I would have said that the Bomber on-field talent was as good as or better than anyone else in the league. The biggest issue the team has, IMO, is behind center. There is no way to tell if this is the fault of the coaching or Nichols but there is evidence that it is both. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Every team is going to have a stinker. Or 2 in an 18 game schedule. We'll see what happens Thursday.

Do you honestly see Calgary losing to the Argos, or just about anyone else losing to them except maybe B.C. 

35 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

A key to this weeks game is going to be the crowd..... they will either pump Matty up with lots of loud support which he will then feed off of and have a monster game..... or they will boo him and it will be all over at that point.

I understand everyone purchasing a ticket is entitled to boo/cheer etc. but personally I always hate when a home crowd boos their own team. If they're playing like trash, they already know it, they don't need their own fans rubbing salt in the wound to boot.

The one exception is if it is 'Riders fans booing their own team - that on the other hand is poetic justice.

30 minutes ago, J5V said:

Do you honestly see Calgary losing to the Argos, or just about anyone else losing to them except maybe B.C. 

It happens all the time. Teams go in overconfident & get their asses handed to them.  In every sport. Nothing is guaranteed. That's why the game is played. No teams wins a championship "on paper". It's won on the field, the ice or the pitch.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Until the past two games, I would have said that the Bomber on-field talent was as good as or better than anyone else in the league. The biggest issue the team has, IMO, is behind center. There is no way to tell if this is the fault of the coaching or Nichols but there is evidence that it is both. 

This is going to hurt, but try to imagine BLM or Mike Reilly lining up behind centre for the Blue and Gold. Now tell me, do we lose either game to Hamilton or Toronto?

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

BLM lost to Ottawa at home, even though Ottawa turned the ball over like 5 times. 

He didn't have our weapons. 

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

This is going to hurt, but try to imagine BLM or Mike Reilly lining up behind centre for the Blue and Gold. Now tell me, do we lose either game to Hamilton or Toronto?

You can't have your cake and eat it too, either one of those guys would be a massive cap hit, and the team would suffer in other positions.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Calgary has no shortage of weapons.  Each game they've dressed 2 RB's who are excellent.  They have a bunch of receivers, probably the best overall slot in the league in Eric Rogers.

I must say I like Harris, Adams, Demski, Woli, Matthew's, Whitehead, Petermann, et al. Arguably the best lineup in the league. Given a guy that can pull the trigger we should be going off bigtime every game. 

5 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

You can't have your cake and eat it too, either one of those guys would be a massive cap hit, and the team would suffer in other positions.

How do you explain Calgary rolling out great lineups year after year?