Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

Without guaranteed contracts, it would be foolish for the Bombers to not try for the two best FA QBs possibly in league history. It’s not how O’Shea operates and it may even be a long shot but how do you justify not taking that chance? Reilly or BLM make this team easily the best in the league and if they sign, you cut Nichols immediately, if they don’t, keep things status quo. I just hate the idea that the regime is saying “we’re set at QB”. Opportunities like this don’t come along that often, especially when the team is probably just an elite QB away from being a top cup contender for the next few years. 

Pretty sure Nichols bonus is due in January... so you'd have to cut him before FA and hope you sign one of Reilly or BLM...  sounds like a bad plan.

We're like a season away from actually developing our own in-house QB - I wouldn't throw that away for a 3 year albatross contract with any of the big guys right now.

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

Without guaranteed contracts, it would be foolish for the Bombers to not try for the two best FA QBs possibly in league history. It’s not how O’Shea operates and it may even be a long shot but how do you justify not taking that chance? Reilly or BLM make this team easily the best in the league and if they sign, you cut Nichols immediately, if they don’t, keep things status quo. I just hate the idea that the regime is saying “we’re set at QB”. Opportunities like this don’t come along that often, especially when the team is probably just an elite QB away from being a top cup contender for the next few years. 

If we can't afford Sukh Chung then how can we afford BLM? I assume Reilly is on his way to BC officially on Tuesday which is why I never included him. How can we not afford Chung? Like what is going on?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If we can't afford Sukh Chung then how can we afford BLM? I assume Reilly is on his way to BC officially on Tuesday which is why I never included him. How can we not afford Chung? Like what is going on?

I'm sure we still have $250k in our budget. The issue seems to be that we don't want to pay that much for a rg. That seems reasonable to me. 

Is there another olineman in the league making anything close to that?

Edit: will be very interested to see what his offers are if he goes to fa.

Edited by sweep the leg

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Wouldn't that cause a huge rift in the locker room between BLM/MR and all the other guys that have grown with Nichols? Also, good luck convincing Nichols to be a backup to one of his two biggest playoff rivals over the past few years...

Good point.

But if took on BLM or MR we have to move on from Nichols. 

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I still wonder if they're considering a switch back to 3 import OL...

Two NI REC, RB, 2 OL, DT, S...?

Walters probably expecting a first round DT to rotate with Thomas - maybe Nate Anderson - and then an OL - Fontana?  These guys will be $100k signings each, thats prob the trade off 

25 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Good point.

But if took on BLM or MR we have to move on from Nichols. 

Absolutely I agree having BLM or MR and Matt Nichols on payroll just wouldn't fiscally make sense... I think at the same time though, just kicking Nichols to the curb after what he's put into the organization kind of sends the wrong message to other players. I know football is a business, but that seems pretty harsh, you do stuff like that too much and players start to notice and won't want to come here.

I think the point is moot anyways - I'd be very surprised if we make a push for either player, Bomber brass seems pretty content with Nichols as 1A and Streveler as 1B. All that said though - I agree it'd be great to see either of them come here, but I just don't see it happening. Especially considering there are other teams willing to throw way more cash their way, and in all likelihood, BLM makes an NFL PR.

32 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Jan 15th was the day we paid Nichols half of this years salary in the form of a bonus. It was also the day that it became fiscally impossible to replace Nichols either by bringing in another starting QB or trading him.

Only if the Bombers went against the league directive on off-season bonuses before the CBA is settled.

55 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Absolutely I agree having BLM or MR and Matt Nichols on payroll just wouldn't fiscally make sense... I think at the same time though, just kicking Nichols to the curb after what he's put into the organization kind of sends the wrong message to other players. I know football is a business, but that seems pretty harsh, you do stuff like that too much and players start to notice and won't want to come here.

I think the point is moot anyways - I'd be very surprised if we make a push for either player, Bomber brass seems pretty content with Nichols as 1A and Streveler as 1B. All that said though - I agree it'd be great to see either of them come here, but I just don't see it happening. Especially considering there are other teams willing to throw way more cash their way, and in all likelihood, BLM makes an NFL PR.

I think the Bombers have done more than enough already to show they are a player-friendly organization and guys like Randle seemed to understand even after he was rather unceremoniously cut. I get the argument that you want to keep your locker room happy but Nichols gets far more rope than he deserves.

28 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I think the Bombers have done more than enough already to show they are a player-friendly organization and guys like Randle seemed to understand even after he was rather unceremoniously cut. I get the argument that you want to keep your locker room happy but Nichols gets far more rope than he deserves.

Yeah I'll concede Nichols gets a longer leash than warranted for sure... still stands though I can't see our head office chasing after either of BLM or MR. That's not to say they shouldn't, just that I don't think they will...

3 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

With the way Harris was looking at Nichols by the end of their last game together,  I don't think players would be opposed to playing with a more consistent QB. 

51 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Lol at people every year thinking we have only spare change left in our budget yet a team like BC signing Reilly and Burnham easily has enough room for a guy like Chungh

I think it’s all part of negotiations...

Gray’s signing bonus I don’t think is against this year’s cap - medlock and Fenner with lower deals 

no dressler, lafrance or Demski to pay...

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Lol at people every year thinking we have only spare change left in our budget yet a team like BC signing Reilly and Burnham easily has enough room for a guy like Chungh

Everyone has a lot of money to spend.  Most teams are going into free agency with about half of a roster.  Ottawa and Winnipeg have far few roster spots open with far more starters returning.  BC is on the extreme opposite end.

It also isn't a hard cap so everyone has almost endless opportunity to maneuver . 

18 hours ago, Floyd said:

I still wonder if they're considering a switch back to 3 import OL...

Two NI REC, RB, 2 OL, DT, S...?

Walters probably expecting a first round DT to rotate with Thomas - maybe Nate Anderson - and then an OL - Fontana?  These guys will be $100k signings each, thats prob the trade off 

If Chungh leaves, that might be our best bandaid solution for this year. At least to start as we begin to work Gray into the fold.

I very much get the impression that we are going to pick up a DL with our top pick. And we'll keep a DL spot Canadian. Walters mentioned this was a strong DL and Reveiver draft.