Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

but given that Simonise and Peterman were rookies, should we be shocked if they do progress? I mean they have the physical tools, the pedigree and they've had a year as backups.... This is how it generally works in sports. Young guys step up and replace older guys. 

I mean christ, that's how Santos-Knox wound up being a player for us. He was Ian Wilds backup at one point and Wild was a damned good player, but we didn't lose anything having his backup take over the spot. 

It's sports, guys get an opportunity and it is up to them to make the most of said opportunity. 

I get that, one at a time is manageable but flipping 5 Natls. all at once is not going to be pretty, the learning curve for 3 of them is going to be "yuge".

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I get that, one at a time is manageable but flipping 4 Natls. on O all at once is not going to be pretty, the learning curve for 3 of them is going to be "yuge".

not really. Couture knows the O, as does Peterman and Simonese. They aren't first year players. And all saw playing time. Peterman and Couture saw significant playing time. Gray spent time in the NFL and has been here since before the Grey Cup. I expect him to be ready for TC.

Edited by Bigblue204

The reality is that we do not have an unlimited budget (unlike the Lions and Argos, apparently)  and every team will have some losses. Either we trust Walters to manage the compromises to field a competitive team or we do not. We're gonna be OK, and the Riders, Eskies and Stamps will be hit a lot worse.

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

and let them go when they want to get paid.

Worked for Calgary for years. Need to know who to keep and who to let walk, believe in your ability to scout down south and draft smart. I see nothing wrong with the way Walters approached free agency. For someone who was so critical of the bombers all season suddenly these pending free agents deserve to get paid?what ever fits the narrative I guess.  

I think people are taking ratio replacement far too lightly, Chungh and Goosen have been working in the trenches together for 4 years, Loffler has been an all-star for 3, Demski just completed his 4th year in the CFL.  To think that they can all be easily replaced by the next Canuck standing in line pretty much ignores the 25 years of struggle and grief we witnessed when they couldn't find Natls. of equivalent value.  To think overhauling the Natl. depth is now "instant breakfast" is ******* ludicrous!

14 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think people are taking ratio replacement far too lightly, Chungh and Goosen have been working in the trenches together for 4 years, Loffler has been an all-star for 3, Demski just completed his 4th year in the CFL.  To think that they can all be easily replaced by the next Canuck standing in line pretty much ignores the 25 years of struggle and grief we witnessed when they couldn't find Natls. of equivalent value.  To think overhauling the Natl. depth is now "instant breakfast" is ******* ludicrous!

We have two first round picks and solid players like Gray, Couture, Jones, Peterman, and Simonsie ready to take over. A guy like Peterman could very easily outplay Demski.

Good teams can't afford to keep all of their players, you still have the mentality from when the Bombers were a bottom feeder. We're an elite team now that has to rely on drafting and recruiting to stay afloat. We're going to lose some players in free agency and that's okay.

Edited by Blueandgold

14 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Walters invested heavily in drafting OL, if he can't replace guys then why make the picks in the first place? It happens to every team, you lose guys and need to have people who can step in and replace them. Gray is a pretty high potential guy, no reason to think he can't do it and Couture has been groomed for a long time. Still got rock solid tackles, see if the depth is as good as we thought it was. 

The whole point of Walters strategy was to be prepared for moments like this...  there will be a few growing pains early in the season but this is not a 'sky is falling' moment like it would have been five years ago...  or like clinging to Brock Ralph as a starter

Woli will make us forget Demski, Gray will make us forger Chungh, Couture has been in the system for a while and Jones 'may' exceed expectations - Loffler was brutal the first half of 2018...

Plus like give the guy a chance to sign someone - Ackie and Adeleke still out there

We talked a lot about having the best OL in the league the last few years AND having depth on it. When you have the best group in the league everyone else will look to poach players when they can. We have depth, see if Walters is earning his pay by having good enough depth to replace the losses.