Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?

Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Streveler Going To Be A Successful Walters Home Grown QB?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Agreed...its Nichols team this yr...I would say/hope open competition next yr if Strev keeps it going and gets better.. Could have issues with salary but we'd be payin the same for the 2 regardless where they slot and I'd be okay with Nichols as a pricey backup

I know it's Nichols team this year as well........but being out however many games he will be out won't help....especially if Streveler keeps producing and improving,  when Matty comes back he has to match or beat whatever Streveler accomplished by then.....

37 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I know it's Nichols team this year as well........but being out however many games he will be out won't help....especially if Streveler keeps producing and improving,  when Matty comes back he has to match or beat whatever Streveler accomplished by then.....

Nichols is the guy.....period. 

Just now, Rod Black said:

I understand he is "the guy",  that stabilized this team and has helped tremendously getting the team to where they are......but foot ball is a vicious sport and most careers are extremely short....... these next games with Streveler are going to be very interesting. 

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

I thought Nichols should’ve been the MOP last year before he got hurt. 

But, if Streveler keeps playing the way he is, I’m not sure you can take this guy off the field. 

No awards for anyone until they have helped to win play off games. Jmo

Here's my big concern ... guys like Muamba. QBs are a hunted species in the CFL and Bomber QBs especially. Should be interesting to see if the league punishes Muamba sufficiently for head-hunting. 

13 hours ago, J5V said:

Here's my big concern ... guys like Muamba. QBs are a hunted species in the CFL and Bomber QBs especially. Should be interesting to see if the league punishes Muamba sufficiently for head-hunting. 

cfl complaints

Edited by blitzmore
should have been the new cfl complaints site

4 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

I thought Nichols should’ve been the MOP last year before he got hurt. 

But, if Streveler keeps playing the way he is, I’m not sure you can take this guy off the field. 

Why can’t we use both?  Streveler is the perfect change of pace guy.  Could easily install a few packages for him every week once Nichols is back.

5 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I understand he is "the guy",  that stabilized this team and has helped tremendously getting the team to where they are......but foot ball is a vicious sport and most careers are extremely short....... these next games with Streveler are going to be very interesting. 

Your managerial acumen is exemplary. Awestruck! 

You do realize what the Bombers have is a solid number 1 qb that is returning soon. A second guy that has stepped up and perhaps solidified the number 2 job. A third guy that could chase the number 2 guy at Qb. This is how management assembles a contending team. You are witnessing the desired result. 

Most teams would kill to achieve this degree of depth. 

Edited by Rod Black

13 hours ago, J5V said:

Well, I'd be a bit concerned about taking that too far.  Should our guys be punished because Willy was getting hammered this last game or be told to stop once they reach him?  Should the Calgary defenders be punished for hitting Ricky Ray even if they had no intention of making that outcome happen?

I have no place for any dirty/cheap hits on a QB and always hated Craig Butler when he was on that field for that.  But I'm starting to get upset with this so called high hit rule.  DL are trained to sack QBs, and I believe any move to eliminate sacks from the game is stupid.

17 hours ago, Rod Black said:

For this year most definitely yes, and probably next year too.

It could be interesting though when Streveler's initial contract is up.  At that point, would we consider him to have a higher ceiling than Nichols and potentially be the next Calvillo in the league that he should become our starter?  Or would Nichols still be too deeply solidified as our franchise face that we'd have him be our permanent starter till he retires?  I can't answer those questions right now.  But it'd be pretty tough to let the guy we've homegrown go.

11 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Agreed.

Not a snow-ball's chance in Hell that Mike O'Shea will leave Nichols on the sidelines once he is healthy. 

Very true, but I would seriously make sure Nichols uses the full period to recover because not only has Streveler played well enough to warrant it, but we can insure he's at 100℅ and has little chance of reaggravating the knee.

7 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

It could be interesting though when Streveler's initial contract is up.  At that point, would we consider him to have a higher ceiling than Nichols and potentially be the next Calvillo in the league that he should become our starter?  Or would Nichols still be too deeply solidified as our franchise face that we'd have him be our permanent starter till he retires?  I can't answer those questions right now.  But it'd be pretty tough to let the guy we've homegrown go.

I think it’ll be very much like a Burris/Harris situation next year and the following year. If Nichols is lighting it up, he keeps playing, but if he starts to struggle, we shake things up with Streveler, with the eventual intent to be for Strev to be the long term starter. 

45 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think the real comparable situation is Edmonton when they had Jason Maas and a hot shot rookie Ricky Ray. 

Jennings - Lulay in BC is fairl;y comparable also...

I think the best thing about Streveler's play isn't if he is going to steal the starter's job... it's that we don't need to rush Matt back due to desperation... if Matt isn't ready week 7 or 8 and Streveler is still playing great, then you keep rolling wit him... when Matt comes back, he's 100%

1 hour ago, O2L said:

I think it’ll be very much like a Burris/Harris situation next year and the following year. If Nichols is lighting it up, he keeps playing, but if he starts to struggle, we shake things up with Streveler, with the eventual intent to be for Strev to be the long term starter. 

That's basically what the Esks. did with him and in the end they gave away Nichols, lost Franklin and are one injury removed from starting Glenn.

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Barring further injuries, yada,...we have an arguably elite #1 qb for two more years. We have what appears to be a #2 guy, as would be what was worked towards by management. #3 is chasing #2, in my view, and that is a more realistic competition. I’d guess MOS is happy with the situation, can spend his time working on his priorities, and is a long ways off from dealing with a good problem, which they planned. It’s great when a plan comes together. 

I recall Clements, #1, Hufnagel #2 combo was well understood and less controversial than today. It was the depth at qb in 84 that was one of the components to a most successful year. 

Edited by Rod Black

Still to small of a sample size to say Streveler is a for sure thing.    If he continues to play well then ultimately the long term decision will be going with the younger guy without a history of injuries and the Blue may try to work out a deal with Nichols to stay around at a reduced salary.  

36 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Jennings - Lulay in BC is fairl;y comparable also...

I think the best thing about Streveler's play isn't if he is going to steal the starter's job... it's that we don't need to rush Matt back due to desperation... if Matt isn't ready week 7 or 8 and Streveler is still playing great, then you keep rolling wit him... when Matt comes back, he's 100%

To me the best part is that if Nichols gets dinged up later in the season we don't need to put him out there to have a chance. Can let the guy be healthy for the late season/playoffs. 

Bottom line there is nothing wrong with having 2 qbs on the roster that you can win with. 

Agree with most comments.

This year and next we have a steady #1 in Nichols and possibly a decent threat at #2 in Shreveler in case of injury to Nichols.

O'Shea can also throw Shreveler in as a change of pace guy if Nichols is in tough. (see 1984 Grey Cup with Hufnagel).

We also have a great short yardage guy (Shreveler) who could then run more plays in a hurry-up offense. 

Luxuries we haven't seen for a while in these parts.