Blue Bombers and 680 CJOB Announce Partnership Extension

TrueBlue

WINNIPEG, MB., November 9, 2017 –  Building on their long-term relationship, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Corus Entertainment are pleased to announce a new partnership which will see 680 CJOB broadcast games through to 2024. As well, Global Winnipeg will once again be the official community television partner of the Winnipeg Football Club.

“For years, the voice of Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Irving and 680 CJOB have been synonymous with Blue Bomber football,” said Blue Bombers President & CEO, Wade Miller. “We’re thrilled that our fans will be able to continue listening to their most trusted source for Blue Bomber coverage, and we look forward to continue working with the talented Corus team.”

Along with game coverage, 680 CJOB is the only place to get in-depth, original Blue Bombers programming including exclusive access and special features on the team, community initiatives and events all year long. Listeners can hear the exclusive play-by-play of every game led by Canadian Football Hall of Fame broadcaster, Bob Irving, and colour commentator Doug Brown, a former Blue Bomber defensive tackle and member of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

"The Winnipeg Football Club has been in existence for nearly 90 years and I’m excited to be a part of something that means so much to our citizens,” said Bob Irving, voice of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. “680 CJOB will continue to be the Winnipeg Blue Bombers radio home through 2024 and we are thrilled be their voice for many years to come.”

Today’s extension is a continuation of the well-established partnership between 680 CJOB and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. To celebrate the renewed partnership, the Winnipeg Football Club and Corus have teamed up to further support the Winnipeg Boys & Girls Club by continuing to send children to every home game.

“680 CJOB and Global Winnipeg are thrilled to expand our long standing partnership with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers,” said Kenton Boston, Vice-President of Global News & Corus Radio, Western Canada. “We are so proud of the football club and our relationship with the Bomber organization, and are excited to bring Winnipeggers the most comprehensive CFL coverage on the field and in the community. We are just getting started.”

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Seriously can't even explain how excited I am about this. I sincerely thought Irving was going to use this opportunity to ride off into the sunset. This must chap TSN's ass something fierce. Being the league's TV partner, I can only imagine how desperately they wanted this regional right, too...for synergy, if nothing else. Awesome for Corus, awesome for the Bombers, and most importantly, this is awesome for Bombers fans...

Edited by Noeller

CJOB does an amazing job of covering the team....and this is really all they've got. I guarantee they pulled out all the $stops$ to make this happen. It's their cash cow. Irving still sounds as good today as he ever did, so let him keep on rolling. There's nobody in the independent media (Ed's gonna hate that I typed this...) that I trust more than Bob when it comes to Bombers news. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

CJOB does an amazing job of covering the team....and this is really all they've got. I guarantee they pulled out all the $stops$ to make this happen. It's their cash cow. Irving still sounds as good today as he ever did, so let him keep on rolling. There's nobody in the independent media (Ed's gonna hate that I typed this...) that I trust more than Bob when it comes to Bombers news. 

I've already stopped listening to CJOB pre and post game.   1290 does a much better job.

The only good thing CJOB has pre and post game is the coach's interview, which is pretty much written into their contract.  And yes, a further reaching signal.

Just now, Rich said:

I've already stopped listening to CJOB pre and post game.   1290 does a much better job.

The only good thing CJOB has pre and post game is the coach's interview, which is pretty much written into their contract.

You, sir, are INSANE........the CJOB pre-game is so far ahead of TSN, it's almost unbelievable. There is nothing I enjoy more than Tait, Doug Brown and Knuckles bullshitting during the pre-game show. The post game is solid until they get to the callers, then I'm out. But that pre-game? Oh man, it's not even close....Irving is such a pro. Bauming is awesome, and really cares, but as a broadcaster....he's a great writer.

Just now, Noeller said:

Don't quote me, but I believe CJOB is a much higher wattage...signal carries a lot farther. 

Fair point. I mean TSN could improve it if it is that big of an issue. Besides you can stream the radio over the web, I do that on my phone alot already. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Really? I mean to each their own, but Bob is great at calling games but he's the last person I would rely on for news. I always see other guys break news on twitter during the day and Bob usually has a tweet about it later that night, sometimes with conflicting info. I love listening to him call games, but for news, dont think thats his specialty. Bauming is the best reporter covering the Bombers by far in my opinion. Just would like to see TSN take over some day.

Big meh from me... 

I'd way rather TSN have the coaches show since they don't appear to need to have commercials every 2 minutes.   I stopped listening to CJOB because the commercials were atrocious.   Also Doug Brown comes off as a smug prick know it all.   Westwood is way better then him and that's not saying much.   

Aside from Knuckles doing PBP CJOB is terrrrible...

Bombers are very much about the community and being proud to be Manitoban. The fact they have these FN youth initiatives where they fly in a bunch of FN youth to games says they are all about the community... Ive never been to a FN reserve but.. Id imagine 1290 dont work in those places... Its iffy at my lake 1 hour north of here if theres a north wind of any kind.. Id imagine its non existent 5 hours more north. 

1290 is painful to listen to. The reason they dont have as many commercials is because the only time TSN draws numbers here is when the Jets play... The rest of the time... They dont draw much at all. 

Can say what u want about CJOB and Global for that matter but their audience is much bigger than 1290s. 

1290 cant compete with CJOB... Regardless of commercials which in reality is how radio stations make money

If not for the Jets there would be no 1290... 

Edited by Goalie

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

You, sir, are INSANE........the CJOB pre-game is so far ahead of TSN, it's almost unbelievable. There is nothing I enjoy more than Tait, Doug Brown and Knuckles bullshitting during the pre-game show. The post game is solid until they get to the callers, then I'm out. But that pre-game? Oh man, it's not even close....Irving is such a pro. Bauming is awesome, and really cares, but as a broadcaster....he's a great writer.

I agree with all of this post.

I tried 1290, I also like Bauming, but I tune in to CJOB pregame, game,  and post game till listener calls.

Don't know about other people's experience, but I find 1290 signal relatively weak. CJOB signal is quite powerful.

Also, TSN has enough of the sports broadcasting business already in this country.

It would not surprise  me at all to see Doug Brown on the TSN panel at some point, he's certainly grown into an excellent broadcaster.

Edited by Mark F
sp/grammar/

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

CJOB just has too many commercials in and out of the broadcast for it to have any flow.  Not a huge Bauming fan either, but would rather listen to Westwood and Walby than Brown.  

CJOB doesn't have a whole lot to offer once Irving retires.

TSN has access to the whole TV coverage crew and related people.

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Big meh from me... 

I'd way rather TSN have the coaches show since they don't appear to need to have commercials every 2 minutes.   I stopped listening to CJOB because the commercials were atrocious.   Also Doug Brown comes off as a smug prick know it all.   Westwood is way better then him and that's not saying much.   

Aside from Knuckles doing PBP CJOB is terrrrible...

Does TSN radio have any audio vault though?

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Don't quote me, but I believe CJOB is a much higher wattage...signal carries a lot farther. 

Before satellite radio existed, we listened to LDC's on CJOB sitting by the car eating spitz.  And the car would be parked a lot closer to Minneapolis than Winnipeg.

Winnipeg Radio Station ratings (Fall of 2016) with % of listeners (2015 in parenthesis).

1. CBC Radio One — 12.3 (15.3)
  2. 680 CJOB — 10.8 (10.9)
  3. QX 104 — 9.1 (7.4)
  4. 103.1 Virgin Radio — 7.0 (9.0)
  5. 92.1 CITI — 6.5 (9.4)
  6. KiSS 102.3 — 6.0 (4.9)
  7. 99.9 BOB FM — 5.7 (6.0)
  8. 94.3 The Drive — 5.5 (3.9 as FAB 94.3)
  9. Energy 106 — 4.8 (4.5)
  10. CBC Radio 2 — 4.2 (4.0)
  11. TSN 1290 — 4.1 (3.5)
  12. Power 97 — 3.5 (3.1 as 97.5 BIG FM)
  13. Jewel 100.5 — 2.9 (2.2)
  14. 99.1 Fresh Radio — 1.6 (2.5)
  15. Radio-Canada — 0.5 (0.2)
  16. NOW Country 104.7 — 0.3 (0.7 as Rhythm 104.7)