Injuries / ratio

Mark H.

If they spent all week saying Nichols was starting, and then start LeFevour, that is going to piss a lot of people off.  How many casuals wouldn't buy tickets if it was LeFevour at the helm?  Probably not a small number.  I understand it is gamesmanship, but this team is also battling to regain a lot of good will that has been lost due to Joe Mack, IGF problems, etc and struggling to maintain relevancy with the Jets being back.  You don't want to slap all your fans in the face now by lying to them.

27 minutes ago, Atomic said:

If they spent all week saying Nichols was starting, and then start LeFevour, that is going to piss a lot of people off.  How many casuals wouldn't buy tickets if it was LeFevour at the helm?  Probably not a small number.  I understand it is gamesmanship, but this team is also battling to regain a lot of good will that has been lost due to Joe Mack, IGF problems, etc and struggling to maintain relevancy with the Jets being back.  You don't want to slap all your fans in the face now by lying to them.

....Except they've never lied (...if that was to be the case...) They could still start Lefevour and say that, at the last minute, there was a setback with Nichols leg, so he can't go. I don't like this attitude of entitlement like the team owes something to people. All they are expected to do is win, at all costs. They can't be worried about "lying to the fans"....and they're not stupid....they know people aren't going to buy tix if they think Nichols is out, so of course they make it seem like he's playing all week. But if for some reason he doesn't? I'm not going to be all upset like they lied to me....get ******. The team is going to do whatever it has to, and I don't hold that against 'em one bit.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

It's not that black and white.  I'm sure Nichols is getting a ton of treatment and it's going to come down to how loose he is and how well he can move on Sunday.  They also haven't said Nichols is starting.

Plus there's never a guarantee.  Many things can happen any week that could cause any player to miss a game, playoffs or not.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's not that black and white.  I'm sure Nichols is getting a ton of treatment and it's going to come down to how loose he is and how well he can move on Sunday.  They also haven't said Nichols is starting.

Plus there's never a guarantee.  Many things can happen any week that could cause any player to miss a game, playoffs or not.

I could easily see a scenario where Lefevor starts and if he can't get any traction going, Nichols comes in slightly dinged up still. 

This non-contact injury to Nichols is downright bizarre. How the hell do you hurt yourself stepping into a throw, an act you've performed thousands of times without incident? The closest thing I can remember happening to a QB is when Darian Durant went down with his achilles. 

Edited by J5V

27 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Thinking more the opposite.  Standing on the sidelines is horrible for a soft tissue injury.

Oh I agree but I'd imagine that if he isn't mobile, they will want to make sure its absolutely neccessary before putting him into the game and risk losing him for any future playoff games..

Then again, its one and done so its also highly likely that they start with Nichol's and if he can't answer the bell, Lefevor is in.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

Oh I agree but I'd imagine that if he isn't mobile, they will want to make sure its absolutely neccessary before putting him into the game and risk losing him for any future playoff games..

Then again, its one and done so its also highly likely that they start with Nichol's and if he can't answer the bell, Lefevor is in.

If Nichols can head-butt the ball to a receiver he is going to want to be in there and O'Shea's MO has been to let the QB play no matter how banged up he is, especially in a playoff game. Nichols has earned that and until he is flat on his back unconscious O'Shea won't pull him. Contrary to what's been said it is not about winning at all costs with O'Shea, it's about character, loyalty, and the process. I think the only way we see Davis or the Fever is if this thing gets away from us early and Nichols is taking a pounding.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

If Nichols can head-butt the ball to a receiver he is going to want to be in there and O'Shea's MO has been to let the QB play no matter how banged up he is, especially in a playoff game. Nichols has earned that and until he is flat on his back unconscious O'Shea won't pull him. Contrary to what's been said it is not about winning at all costs with O'Shea, it's about character, loyalty, and the process. I think the only way we see Davis or the Fever is if this thing gets away from us early and Nichols is taking a pounding.

This mentality, combined with Davis' inability to step up is what cost him 2nd spot on the depth chart methinks.

5 hours ago, J5V said:

This non-contact injury to Nichols is downright bizarre. How the hell do you hurt yourself stepping into a throw, an act you've performed thousands of times without incident? The closest thing I can remember happening to a QB is when Darian Durant went down with his achilles. 

Well - it could have been something that he hurt previously