Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

21 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'd imagine Hutch wants a legit chance to be an NHL back up (at least) and probably isnt in love with the Jets anyway.  He wont ever start ahead of Helle & Mason.  The only  change to that being if the Jets traded Mason and re-signed Hutch but I dont think they will do that.  Its interesting because with Helle needing a new contract and likely getting a big raise, they will have a lot of money dedicated to goalies.  I wonder if they are content to keep Mason next season or trade him to save from money.  They'd need a new back up then.  Either way, they'll have to replace Hutch on the Moose, probably with a veteran back up.

I'd think they'd hope Comrie can be #2 after next season but then who plays for the Moose?  Berdin is 20 so might he join the Moose next season or too soon?  They can always sign a cheap veteran back up if need be, if they decide to trade Mason.

There's heat between Hutch and the organization. He's not re-signing here.

I think Philips is ready to move up. You need to make room in Jacksonville anyhow for some others to come through.

52 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't think they will want to trade him. He's a veteran back-up that will continue to push Helle.

I don't give Mason as much credit as everyone else for Helle's emergence - Mason hasn't exactly lit the world on fire

I'd dump that contract in a heartbeat if it meant re-signing Statsny...

Laine named second star: http://illegalcurve.com/2018/03/05/winnipeg-jets-patrik-laine-named-nhls-second-star-of-the-week/

The Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club, in conjunction with the National Hockey League, today announced that forward Patrik Laine has been named the NHL’s Second Star of the Week for the week ending Mar. 4/18.

Laine, 19, led the Jets to a pair of wins last week. He recorded two assists in Winnipeg’s 6-5 loss to Nashville on Tuesday. The Tampere, Finland native had a pair of goals, including the winner, in a 4-3 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Friday before notching another two goals and adding an assist on Paul Stastny’s game winner in the Jets 3-2 victory over the Hurricanes on Sunday. In total, Laine had seven points (4G, 3A) and a plus-five rating in the three games and is currently riding an eight-game point streak (10G, 6A). Laine is just the third player since 1993-94 to record multiple points at least seven times in a span of eight team games.

On the season, Laine has 58 points (35G, 23A) in 65 games played. He leads the NHL in power play goals with 17 and is tied for third in the league in goals with 35. Laine, who celebrates his 20th birthday on April 19, has scored 71 career goals and only five players in NHL history have scored more goals as a teenager.

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Who's your back-up next year?

Kind of a moot point because I don't see how Chevy can get rid of the Mason contract...  just grab a UFA journeyman - there's always an Al Montoya floating around

Mason is one concussion away from retirement...  that's a risky plan to have

34 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Kind of a moot point because I don't see how Chevy can get rid of the Mason contract...  just grab a UFA journeyman - there's always an Al Montoya floating around

Mason is one concussion away from retirement...  that's a risky plan to have

So, no plan.

I think I would just stick with the plan that was made last summer that seems to be working out. 

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

So, no plan.

I think I would just stick with the plan that was made last summer that seems to be working out. 

I think signing a journeyman is a pretty standard 'plan'... or did Chevy have no plan all these years...?

Anyway, arguing over nothing - Mason's not going anywhere...  maybe Statsny signs here for $4.5 million and everything works out just dandy

Good god... 1 ) Outdoor games have LONG since worn out their welcome.  Scrap 'em all together for 5 years.   2 ) Having an NHL outdoor game in Regina is the stupidest thing since the NHL-to-Saskatoon talk.  Never. Should. Happen.  Neither of them. No reason to other than further glorify a fanbase that gets far too much love as it is. 

3 ) Since MBB is accrediting a member for CFL Week ;), can I call dibs on our Jets Finnish correspondent?  Would looooove to go to Helsinki.  I promise not to be annoying as gbill.