Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

17 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The wild card is Daniel Williams, he arrived in camp late so they will have to give him more time to take a better look at him.  He's the rookie receiver that carries the most hype imo.  I expect he will be on the PR or IR when the season begins but if he pans out another receiver may be cut to accommodate him.

So they have Dressler, Adams, Denmark and JFG or another Canuck locked in positions.  That leaves all of the following competing for one starting import receiver job plus a couple of backups or development guys.

Davis, Lankford, Liggins, Lowder, Peterson, Raper, Sheppard, Stafford, Thorpe, Washington, Williams.

Yeah, i imagine 1 guy Di 1 guy starts. Probably 1 on the pr. A lot of guys there goin to the waiver wire. * maybe some one like thorpe sticks on the IR and moves to the PR when healthy to get a good look at em. 

Edited by wbbfan

12 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Wrong team, he missed the convert on behalf of Hamilton.

My bad, I knew it was one of the 2 teams as it was the only televised one, and thought it was hamilton initially but a quick peek at cfl.ca listed him with ottawa in 2016 so i figured it might have carried over to this year too

Just now, Taynted_Fayth said:

My bad, I knew it was one of the 2 teams as it was the only televised one, and thought it was hamilton initially but a quick peek at cfl.ca listed him with ottawa in 2016 so i figured it might have carried over to this year too

The RB's, TiCats and Argos all use the same kicker pool, they're interchangeable.

4 hours ago, Zontar said:

He wanted a signig bonus for what amounted mediocre kicking overall and often brutal punting. Austin probably thinks he can get that for less from someone else. I think he,s right

2016 - 82% FGs and 45.9 yard punting average.  He can get another kicker for less money but I doubt he gets that performance.

20 minutes ago, Atomic said:

2016 - 82% FGs and 45.9 yard punting average.  He can get another kicker for less money but I doubt he gets that performance.

Faded down the stretch. Missed a killer fg in the semi. Lots of botched situational stuff. He,s decent but there,s lots out there at his level. He proved it himself

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Just turned on TSN.   Looks like they are going to play a round table discussion during half time of the Cgy / Edm game with Kyle Walters, Chris Jones, and Marcel Desjardins.

The Round Table is scheduled for 11pm EST for some reason. 

Excellent game between the Stamps and the Esks. plenty of good QB's and receivers on both sides of the ball and Franklin looked fabulous.  Anyone wanting to write off either team had better think twice, neither is going down without a fight.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The Round Table is scheduled for 11pm EST for some reason. 

Excellent game between the Stamps and the Esks. plenty of good QB's and receivers on both sides of the ball and Franklin looked fabulous.  Anyone wanting to write off either team had better think twice, neither is going down without a fight.

Both teams looked scary good on offence, even with their B teams. Walters and O'Shea have their work cut out.

13 minutes ago, tracker said:

Both teams looked scary good on offence, even with their B teams. Walters and O'Shea have their work cut out.

The bullets will be flying in the West this year, if Richie's Hall's pass D can't hold them back, he may be riding the bubble at seasons end.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If Richie's Hall's pass D can't hold them back, he may be riding the bubble at seasons end.

Should Richie Hall get the bullet, he will not be alone. There have been concerns about Hall both here and in the media for a couple of years now, and O'Shea has kept him on. There is no doubt about O'Shea's character or passion, but his judgement- not so much.

32 minutes ago, tracker said:

Should Richie Hall get the bullet, he will not be alone. There have been concerns about Hall both here and in the media for a couple of years now, and O'Shea has kept him on. There is no doubt about O'Shea's character or passion, but his judgement- not so much.

O'shea wont go anywhere as long as Miller and Walter are the CEO and the GM. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

4 hours ago, Zontar said:

Faded down the stretch. Missed a killer fg in the semi. Lots of botched situational stuff. He,s decent but there,s lots out there at his level. He proved it himself

Clutch kicks are important - but at the same time you can't nickel and dime yourself to death 

2 hours ago, tracker said:

Who's been a better available alternative to Hall since he was hired in 2015, though?

38 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Who's been a better available alternative to Hall since he was hired in 2015, though?

Devone Claybrooks but he was probably never 'really' available... but for sure its sparse pickins out there...

In terms of replacements...  you're probably going to have to look at some new blood - I think Jason Shivers, Greg Knox, Ike Charlton all probably have the right mindset/experience to step up and have experience in the right systems

On 6/10/2017 at 2:12 PM, tracker said:

Appreciate what you have before it turns into what you had.

Dammit Tracker, I'm not supposed to be tearing up while reading the around the league thread... seriously though, my condolences and it sounds like you made peace with your past which is great to hear... 

22 hours ago, Floyd said:

How did they not call no yards on that?  The Sask cover guy was literally in the air as Lankford was catching the ball...

It looked like about 3.5-4 yards when I paused the Russ Hobson video... but hey, it's pre-season for the refs too!

20 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Interesting to hear Walters perspective in this interview, apparently he and O'Shea butt heads a lot of the time, but it sounds like it is more from a salary perspective as Walters let's O'Shea make the personnel decisions.

I think some disagreement between the GM and HC is important... if they agreed on everything, all the time, I might question their mindset...

4 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

Looks like Vince Young has a torn hamstring. 34 years old, hasn't played in 6 years...........never saw that coming. 

What's the news from lions training camp?  Any standouts? You guys have a loaded receiving/linebacking core so i'm (and most others here probably) interested to hear if anyone is expected to surprise?

5 minutes ago, Judd said:

What's the news from lions training camp?  Any standouts? You guys have a loaded receiving/linebacking core so i'm (and most others here probably) interested to hear if anyone is expected to surprise?

We continue to tinker in the secondary. Trying Chandler Fenner at safety this week.  Our draft pick Luke is going to be a force on the Dline.  Vaillencourt can't crack the starting Oline. Nick Moore back in a starting role.  Receivers are loaded.  One spot open for now with Williams out to start the year.  Friday will be telling