Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

21 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Bear Woods signs with the Argos, big surprise

Yeah, no surprise there. The fact it took so long was a bit of a surprise though.

I just assume that Woods wanted to avoid some of the grueling days of the TC. And, as a vet, who's in demand, why not!

28 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Bear Woods signs with the Argos, big surprise

It will be interesting to watch the Argos this year, Popp is in "shake and bake" mode and looks to be rebuilding the team with established CFL players.  Much wiser route to add a few rookies to the mix of established vets. rather than a complete tear-down and rebuild with new unknown players in new positions that Jones has attempted imo.  Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think the Argo's will surpise this year. They have some interesting pieces and you can't discount what Trestman brings to the mix either. 

Totally agree.  They've done a nice job building up the roster for a team that was basically rudderless during free agency.  I'm not sure about their plan on the OL though, last time I looked they were trying out Jamal Campbell (Canadian 2016 draft pick) at left tackle and that seems like wishful thinking.

I'd be concerned with their secondary and receiving corps as well but if Ricky Ray can stay healthy.... they have as a good a shot as any Eastern team.

And, you guys could be right, but check out what this dude has predicted...

According to this article

http://doorfliesopen.com/index.php/2017/06/08/cfl-beat-29/ 

2 of the team's in the East will have an 11-7 (Ottawa) and a 10-8 (Hamilton) record, followed by Montreal at 9-9 and Toronto at 4-14. 

?‍?With a very tough Western division, those numbers seem somewhat high...

FINALLY!

16kbeaa.png          AT    10sejw2.jpg      TONIGHT ON TSN

17 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

2 of the team's in the East will have an 11-7 (Ottawa) and a 10-8 (Hamilton) record, followed by Montreal at 9-9 and Toronto at 4-14. 

FINALLY!

Pretty sure Doorfliesopen is the ghost of KissingSuzyKolber, a dedicated NFL humour blog.  I don't recall any of those guys following the CFL ever.  Maybe this guy does, but I'd read it with multiple grains of salt.

36 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

FINALLY!

As far as random American CFL blogs go, that's actually not a bad read.  I don't agree with all the opinions but at least he seems to have the facts right.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Yeah the way he was being talked up, I figured he'd be generating a lot more interest.

Me too. I thought he would have drawn at least a third rounder from the Bombers with the departure of Waggoner. Ah well, if he becomes a good player with the Greenies, I will be urinated.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I think the Argo's will surpise this year. They have some interesting pieces and you can't discount what Trestman brings to the mix either. 

Really weird the Trestman/Popp love on here when their roster is as much or more of a mess than Chris Jones'...

Popp just doing the same thing he was in Montreal...  making his team older.  

12 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I would take Trestman any day of the week over Jones and twice on Sunday's!

Agreed. Popp has actually shown the ability to build and manage a roster and Trestman's pedigree as a coach in the CFL is pretty sound. Jones, OTOH, looks totally unqualified as a GM and his coaching ability has only suffered because of that. The rosters could be a wash but the latter is trying to do way too much by himself, which hinders the team as a result.

I think the Argos end up with more wins than the Riders this season.

Edited by blue_gold_84

The Argos are gonna have an easier schedule for sure...

Gonna be real interesting to see if Trestman can revitalize another QB's career. If his O can get the ball out of Ray's hands quickly and protect Ray as well as it used to protect Calvillo, the Boatmen could do some damage. 

Edited by johnzo

5 minutes ago, johnzo said:

The Argos are gonna have an easier schedule for sure...

Gonna be real interesting to see if Trestman can revitalize another QB's career. If his O can get the ball out of Ray's hands quickly and protect Ray as well as it used to protect Calvillo, they could do some damage.

I love Ricky Ray as much as the next guy, but if he keeps getting hit like he did last year, then it's definitely the next man up time. Each hit takes a little more steamboats out of him...

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It will be interesting to watch the Argos this year, Popp is in "shake and bake" mode and looks to be rebuilding the team with established CFL players.  Much wiser route to add a few rookies to the mix of established vets. rather than a complete tear-down and rebuild with new unknown players in new positions that Jones has attempted imo.  Time will tell.

But that is what Jones wanted. Build a team to his liking. Argos might be tight against the cap though. 

On 2017-06-08 at 7:22 PM, Arnold_Palmer said:

Ricky Ray looked done last season. Hopefully he's healthy enough to compete. Always respected and liked Ricky Ray. 

Lots of people said that about AC before Trestman arrived too. The o-line under Popp was horrible but they completely turned it around in Trestman's first year. I'm not going to write the Argos off until I see them play in the regular season.

Edited by Jacquie

17 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Lots of people said that about AC before Popp arrived too. The o-line under Popp was horrible but they completely turned it around in Trestman's first year. I'm not going to write the Argos off until I see them play in the regular season.

Yeah but Ricky Ray has played 12 games in the last two years and is 37 years old. Anthony Calvillo went from a  95.68 QB rating to a 107.2 obviously a difference but not as significant as most people think. I do think Trestman is a great coach and if there's any football left in Ricky Rays game Trestman is the one to get it out of him.

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'll wait to praise Trestman until I see what he can do without Anthony Calvillo and an all-star OL 

Neither Calvillo nor the OL were playing at an all star level the season before Trestman came to Montreal