Around the League - Training Camp Discussion

9 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Bridge played well considering, but our D wasn't exactly our starters.. No Westerman, Leggett, Loffler, Wild, Thomas, Randle and a whole lot of rotating going on. 

It's kind of why I'm not really worried about Nichols performance. If we didn't play the riders so soon again when it counts, I doubt he even sees the field tonight. But not having Adams, Dressler and Harris in his offense certainly has a big impact on his play too

Thats true. The way he beat them is the way you beat our starters though. 

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm not known for my blue colored glasses, but it certainly looks like the Riders were within 5 yards meaning no fumble and Bomber ball 15 yards up the field.

is that challengeable?

review on turnover cannot correct error?

4 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

is that challengeable?

review on turnover cannot correct error?

We challenged it and lost the challenge and a timeout. My guess is that there wasn't any more than the one angle so they went with the call on the field.

I thought the whole "eye in the sky" thing was to be used to remedy close or iffy calls/non-calls but it's been much of the same old, same old. It looked like a flag should've been thrown on that play.

Then again, it is pre-season.

Edited by blue_gold_84

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

HOW did you guys lose out on Maher?

19 minutes ago, Floyd said:

HOW did you guys lose out on Maher?

He wanted a signig bonus for what amounted mediocre kicking overall and often brutal punting. Austin probably thinks he can get that for less from someone else. I think he,s right

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's good Lankford redeemed himself later in the game, though. It's just too bad the nice TD return he had was negated on an offside penalty.

He looked very "McDuffiesque" on that return, I don't know if Lankford is the best new receiver option because of his size but I'd like to see them keep him around for awhile to find out.

2 hours ago, Zontar said:

He wanted a signig bonus for what amounted mediocre kicking overall and often brutal punting. Austin probably thinks he can get that for less from someone else. I think he,s right

Is sergio castillo a FA still? He looked bloody good for us last preseason / camp. 

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

He looked very "McDuffiesque" on that return, I don't know if Lankford is the best new receiver option because of his size but I'd like to see them keep him around for awhile to find out.

Yeah he did. Liggins catch looked pretty dang good on the replay. Washington iirc had a couple called back and has looked good in camp. The tier of WRs on the bubble all have some pretty interesting skill/size/athleticism. They are gonna have some tough choices on that last wr spot. Being able to return and a legit threat to score is really gonna help lankford. 

43 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Is sergio castillo a FA still? He looked bloody good for us last preseason / camp. 

Yeah he did. Liggins catch looked pretty dang good on the replay. Washington iirc had a couple called back and has looked good in camp. The tier of WRs on the bubble all have some pretty interesting skill/size/athleticism. They are gonna have some tough choices on that last wr spot. Being able to return and a legit threat to score is really gonna help lankford. 

he's in Ottawa, watched him miss a convert in the televised Ott/Ham game the other night

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The wild card is Daniel Williams, he arrived in camp late so they will have to take a bit more time to have a better look at him.  He's the rookie receiver that carries the most hype imo.  I expect he will be on the PR or IR when the season begins but if he pans out another receiver may have to be cut to accommodate him.

So they have Dressler, Adams, Denmark and JFG or another Canuck locked in positions.  That leaves all of the following competing for one starting import receiver job plus a couple of backups or development guys.

Davis, Lankford, Liggins, Lowder, Peterson, Raper, Sheppard, Stafford, Thorpe, Washington, Williams.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne