Canadian Politics

On 2023-05-24 at 10:45 AM, GCn20 said:

Don't like Trudeau you are a bigot or insane or any other gamut of ridiculousness you want to drag up. It's garbage.

Who says this?

No one on these boards.

No one i know says this.

Just you and a smattering of Milhouse supporters i reckon.

On 2023-05-24 at 10:45 AM, GCn20 said:

In order for an inquiry to have any value it only needs to be transparent and independant. It could be done behind closed doors for the sensitive parts of the inquiry. It's fiction that an inquiry can't be held and it is NOT just PP asking for one, it is ALL other parties in the House of Commons that represent and overwhelming majority of the voting public,. 

The inquiry is going to be redacted to hell - everyone knows this... its the nature of the subject of the investigation.

And Milhouse is going to yell an scream to whip up a frenzy for his followers about how the deepstate, anyifa soros... blah blah blah **** Trudeau!

And those dumb clucks are going lap that **** up.

On 2023-05-24 at 1:45 PM, GCn20 said:

I doubt Poilievre balances the budget either, but I am quite sure he will reduce deficit spending dramatically and will not artificially prop up our economy by borrowing money at a rate that is unprecedented in our country's history.

Tax cuts are essentially  directly contribute to deficit spending in a big way.

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy
corrected for accuracy so that someone can stop having a **** fit about it.

Do all parties want an inquiry for legit reason or do they think it's a chance to score points against a vulnerable liberal government? 

This is why I really don't like minority governments in Canada. No one works together to govern, they just all snipe at each other posturing for the inevitable election 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Balanced budgets are difficult but not impossible. Budgeting for them and not making them by a small amount was the norm right up to 2015. Certainly there are planned deficits...but nothing even remotely compares to what we are seeing right now.

Well, that's just patently false.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blogs/federal-deficits-in-canada-another-view

093015%20fig1rev.jpg

093015%20fig2rev.jpg

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Do all parties want an inquiry for legit reason or do they think it's a chance to score points against a vulnerable liberal government? 

This is why I really don't like minority governments in Canada. No one works together to govern, they just all snipe at each other posturing for the inevitable election 

Polls say a majority of Canadians want an inquiry. Not to score political points but to find out just how deep Chinese influence has gone into the federal government. Canadians value their democracy. Trudeau by putting up roadblocks to stop this inquiry will hurt his popularity even more. As I said, this isn't going away. We'll see if the NDP's Jagmeet Singh has the cajones to stop propping up the Liberals as he called for an inquiry as well. Somehow, I doubt that he will. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You mean like Johnston did for the Trudeau Foundation & Chinese interference? No federal inquiry, he says. Looks like the "jig" is up... The independent rapporteur said so. Joke's on you, Canada. 

God forbid that politicians have lives apart from their offices. Johnston said categorically that there had been no breaches of security, only poor communication through the levels of oversight. Steven Harper was so vindictive and paranoid about destroying any and all individuals who might be sympathetic to the Liberals that if he had even a whiff that Johnston might be biased, he would have never appointed him. Trudeau's judgement may be vulnerable to criticism, but when you weigh his record against Harper's there is no comparison at all. When you compare Trudeau to Poilievre, the differences are even more stark. 

42 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Who says this?

No one on these boards.

No one i know says this.

The inquiry is going to be redacted to hell - everyone knows this... its the nature of the subject of the investigation.

And Milhouse is going to yell an scream to whip up a frenzy for his followers about how the deepstate, anyifa soros... blah blah blah **** Trudeau!

Tax cuts are essentially deficit spending.

Counter:

As a centrist just take what I say with a grain of salt, I’m just trying to keep you Trudeau supporting libtards honest and out of your echo chambers. If it wasn’t for me you all would be clucking around like lost little morons hurling out your garbage narratives unable hear other viewpoints.

Or something predictably similar to this. Instead of showing true colors, use appropriate label (s) as cover when called out. Hey I’m sure I’ve been guilty of doing this but I hope it’s the exception to how I present myself and not the norm.

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We'll see if the NDP's Jagmeet Singh has the cajones to stop propping up the Liberals as he called for an inquiry as well. Somehow, I doubt that he will. 

Exactly. Singh could basically get anything he wants because the liberals need him. So why doesn't he? Because he isn't polling well enough to call an election so he has to try and score some more points first.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

God forbid that politicians have lives apart from their offices. Johnston said categorically that there had been no breaches of security, only poor communication through the levels of oversight. Steven Harper was so vindictive and paranoid about destroying any and all individuals who might be sympathetic to the Liberals that if he had even a whiff that Johnston might be biased, he would have never appointed him. Trudeau's judgement may be vulnerable to criticism, but when you weigh his record against Harper's there is no comparison at all. When you compare Trudeau to Poilievre, the differences are even more stark. 

Here is the section of Johnston's report that delineates his attempts to communicate with Poilievre, even Erin O'Toole participated in the discussion.  Poilievre deserves the level of respect of a squawking chicken.

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Here is the section of Johnston's report that delineates his attempts to communicate with Poilievre, even Erin O'Toole participated in the discussion.  Poilievre deserves the level of respect of a squawking chicken.

Stop that!! You will upset Speedflex who has a good hate-on going.

6 hours ago, Tracker said:

So, Stephen Harper appointed Johnston Gov General & that's okay. But for everything else Harper is a monster representing the right. You lefties make me laughas you pick & choose what you like & dislike. 

On 2023-05-23 at 9:58 PM, 17to85 said:

Yikes. Trudeau is a spoiled rich kid who is woefully out of touch with the common person. For him it's not theatre so much as just not having a clue. Pollievre on the other hand is a career politician who hasn't had any sort of job outside of politics. He is grandstanding because everything to him is about trying to score political points.  That is far worse than Trudeau IMO.

And Trudeau was a ski instructor & drama teacher who liked to dress up in black face. And he's always had his daddy's trust fund. 

33 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It's gotta be ******* exhausting to be that angry all the time... 

Like you? This thread has become like a private club. You don't belong  unless everyone thinks the same. All of you who mock & insult anyone that think differently that we are all entitled to our own opinions. We need to respect one another even if we disagree. Why is that so hard?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

22 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Tell that to the working poor who are visiting food banks at an unprecedented rate. They will tell you what they think of the economy. Or to the thirty somethings living in their parent's basement because rent and mortgages are a pipe dream for them right now. Tell it to the senior citizen who is stealing food from Safeway so they can eat. Tell that to the guys on my reserve who have watched countless friends commit suicide because despair is at an all time high on reserves. Don't give me this cock and bull that they have done some kind of amazing job with the economy. They have spent their way out at crippling cost to future generations. Printing money is not the same as managing an economy.

Ok, let's talk about the price of food:

Wheat is the back  bone of the world's food supply. The two largest wheat producers in the world are at war with each other.

There are climate issues: farmers in Kansas are abandoning their wheat crop, due to drought.

Saskatchewan and Alberta are currently crying for moisture.  Manitoba has had areas with drought in recent years.

Currently, meat prices have come down but grain prices haven't. Margins for meat producers are slim to non-existent to negative.

Drought and ground water depletion in California is impacting fruit and vegetable prices.

All of this plays into the things you mentioned - it's the backbone of the economy.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, Stephen Harper appointed Johnston Gov General & that's okay. But for everything else Harper is a monster representing the right. You lefties make me laughas you pick & choose what you like & dislike. 

And Trudeau was a ski instructor & drama teacher who liked to dress up in black face. And he's always had his daddy's trust fund. 

Like you? This thread has become like a private club. You don't belong  unless everyone thinks the same. All of you who mock & insult anyone that think differently that we are all entitled to our own opinions. We need to respect one another even if we disagree. Why is that so hard?

I am so tired and frustrated how some continually throw out the echo chamber you all think the same nonsense to support their ‘this is what see’ thoughts while hurling labels like lefties and libtards.

I’m not a lefty nor a libtard in how some here think it means. I consider myself and a lot others on this board decent critical thinkers that sometimes results in original thoughts being incorrect. 

57 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

am so tired and frustrated how some continually throw out the echo chamber you all think the same nonsense to support their ‘this is what see’ thoughts while hurling labels like lefties and libtards.

Hate this too. I am certainly no lefties, I've voted for right of centre options far more in my life than I ever have left of centre... but these current right wing parties are off the deep end so even someone like me who generally has a centre-right approach to things can't support them. That doesn't make me a leftie, at least not in my mind. In my mind it makes me someone who wants good government not culture wars and science denial.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I am so tired and frustrated how some continually throw out the echo chamber you all think the same nonsense to support their ‘this is what see’ thoughts while hurling labels like lefties and libtards.

I’m not a lefty nor a libtard in how some here think it means. I consider myself and a lot others on this board decent critical thinkers that sometimes results in original thoughts being incorrect. 

Honest question here, if you don't like labels being used like lefties and libtards, why is it you continuously use labels like "knuckle draggers"?

https://www.morningbigblue.com/community/search/?q=knuckle&quick=1

For the record, I hate the use of all of these labels because all it does is continue to polarize, dehumanize a subset of people.  I'm no fan of what a lot of the conservative parties are doing right now and who is running them, but I would not personally classify using derogatory labels to refer to anyone as critical thinking.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Honest question here, if you don't like labels being used like lefties and libtards, why is it you continuously use labels like "knuckle draggers"?

https://www.morningbigblue.com/community/search/?q=knuckle&quick=1

For the record, I hate the use of all of these labels because all it does is continue to polarize, dehumanize a subset of people.  I'm no fan of what a lot of the conservative parties are doing right now and who is running them, but I would not personally classify using derogatory labels to refer to anyone as critical thinking.

Thanks for link and the feedback. I'm not perfect Rich, I tend to label insanity as knuckle dragging. My bad. When I see absurdness that has serious implications and consequences on everyday people from all walks of life and sane ideologies I see where you go with it and I see where I go with it. Probably both has its merits and demerits. But please spare me with your 'I'm above the fray, stop dehumanizing people' lecture. We're not living in a normal world that you think we are where taking the path of least resistance is the way to go. 

My guess is you and I see the world differently in many aspects and act on things that need to be acted on in a much different way.

Fair enough.

7 facts about Pierre Poilievre that probably aren’t true but we refused to be briefed on the actual situation

1 HOUR AGO by LUKE GORDON FIELD ( @LUKEMAYBEFUNNY )

Even though Pierre Poilievre has been leader of the opposition for a while now there is still so much we don’t know about him. And we were outraged to discover these 7 almost certainly not true facts after we refused to be given the real information as it may prevent us from sensationalizing the situation with a bunch of false propaganda that plays to our base.

1. He invented the saying ‘Case Of The Mondays’.

2. If he wasn’t a politician his preferred career would be selling predatory reverse mortgage loans to confused elderly people.

3. He is also compromised by a foreign power. But because none of the “big guys” wanted him, he’s been selling our secrets to the Czech Republic.

4. He voted against gay marriage even though his father, a gay man, was about to get married to his partner. (Oh ****, this one’s real).

5. His favourite television series is Mindhunter but “only the BTK parts.”

6. His favourite donut at Tim Hortons is a Boston Cream with extra Cream.

7. He hates the CBC because it cancelled his favourite show Being Erica

Update: We deleted a part of Number 4 that said Poilievre’s father was in the House during the vote, because the source on that wasn’t definitive, and we take our job as fake news journalists more seriously than Poilievre takes his. 

https://thebeaverton.com/2023/05/7-facts-about-pierre-poilievre-that-probably-arent-true-but-we-refused-to-be-briefed-on-the-actual-situation/

The term knuckle-dragger isn't exclusive to those on the right side of the political spectrum.

On the other hand, and it's been demonstrated consistently in this thread, the terms lefty and libtard are being used, albeit erroneously, by at least two bad actors when their obviously biased commentary isn't endorsed by others. What's to be gained by derailing a thread and be unwilling to participate in informed, objective, rational, evidence-based discourse as it relates to the political climate in our country? 

There are those in this country currently holding political office who seem eager to emulate the same regressive, misinformed, sociopathic culture war nonsense that has deteriorated the political landscape of our southern neighbour - and the sad reality is there are Canadians who support and agree with those views.

It's the Paradox of Tolerance once again.

23 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I agree. Not all of it went to social programs. But that will be were PP gets his "savings". Book it.

I should clarify that I don't believe PP will stop the spending at all. It will likely even increase. But he will stop spending on social programs.

That would be concerning.

22 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Who says this?

No one on these boards.

No one i know says this.

Tax cuts are essentially deficit spending.

Tax cuts are deficit spending? WTF?

22 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

How very convenient you cut the chart off at 2014. I said governments would try for balance and not achieve it by small amounts except in times of recession. Not sure what is patently false about that. How about you throw up Trudeau's spending so we can compare. Might need a much bigger chart. Do that and quit playing silly bugger.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The term knuckle-dragger isn't exclusive to those on the right side of the political spectrum.

On the other hand, and it's been demonstrated consistently in this thread, the terms lefty and libtard are being used, albeit erroneously, by at least two bad actors when their obviously biased commentary isn't endorsed by others. What's to be gained by derailing a thread and be unwilling to participate in informed, objective, rational, evidence-based discourse as it relates to the political climate in our country? 

There are those in this country currently holding political office who seem eager to emulate the same regressive, misinformed, sociopathic culture war nonsense that has deteriorated the political landscape of our southern neighbour - and the sad reality is there are Canadians who support and agree with those views.

It's the Paradox of Tolerance once again.

Tell me why lefty is part of the problem when the term righty is not? Big double standard going with you.

21 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Polls say a majority of Canadians want an inquiry. Not to score political points but to find out just how deep Chinese influence has gone into the federal government. Canadians value their democracy. Trudeau by putting up roadblocks to stop this inquiry will hurt his popularity even more. As I said, this isn't going away. We'll see if the NDP's Jagmeet Singh has the cajones to stop propping up the Liberals as he called for an inquiry as well. Somehow, I doubt that he will. 

A lack of inquiry plays right into Poilievre's hands. 

19 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Why would Poilievre or any other opposition party member offer legitimacy to this sham of a procedure by taking part in it? This was completely staged, predetermined, and a sorry excuse of a response to a very serious issue by the Liberal party. Shameful really.

21 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Counter:

As a centrist just take what I say with a grain of salt, I’m just trying to keep you Trudeau supporting libtards honest and out of your echo chambers. If it wasn’t for me you all would be clucking around like lost little morons hurling out your garbage narratives unable hear other viewpoints.

Or something predictably similar to this. Instead of showing true colors, use appropriate label (s) as cover when called out. Hey I’m sure I’ve been guilty of doing this but I hope it’s the exception to how I present myself and not the norm.

Sure,...sounds good. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Agreed. The hypocrisy is so strong on your last point. I love to point it out. I get the exact reaction I want to illustrate this every time.