Canadian Politics

David Johnson such a Trudeau lackey that Stephen Harper appointed him governor General.... given how much Harper despised everything Trudeau do you really think if the guy was a Trudeau stooge he would have even been in the conversation? 

And let's be real here, Canadian government has been cozying up to China for decades. The Chretien government loved Chinese money and the Harper government sold the country to them in a free trade deal. 

Foreign interference is happening from more than China sadly. We got extreme right wing Americans influencing politics up here, Russia does what Russia does with their bot farms. God knows who else. 

This is why it is damned important to be an informed voter.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah cause the inquiry would have definitely stopped it.

Remind me....who signed FIPA again?

It would have brought some trust back into the process. Johnston report didn't do that. It was obvious that this would be the outcome & now Johnston's reputation is shattered. He never should have taken the job. Who signed FIPA? Harper did. But this **** with China has been going on since the days of Jean Chretien back in the 90's. So, it's multiple PM's & govts. I think most Canadians are concerned for democracy in this country & want to know for sure what is going on. An enquiry would do that. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

David Johnson such a Trudeau lackey that Stephen Harper appointed him governor General.... given how much Harper despised everything Trudeau do you really think if the guy was a Trudeau stooge he would have even been in the conversation? 

And let's be real here, Canadian government has been cozying up to China for decades. The Chretien government loved Chinese money and the Harper government sold the country to them in a free trade deal. 

Foreign interference is happening from more than China sadly. We got extreme right wing Americans influencing politics up here, Russia does what Russia does with their bot farms. God knows who else. 

This is why it is damned important to be an informed voter.

Funny how we seem to be one of the last countries to take precautions to at least try to reduce political interference. Even freaking Australia has done more than us. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Would it though? Or would Milhouse just yell and scream if it didn't say what he wanted it to? 

This is all theatre plain and simple.

And who is a master of political theatre? Why the drama teacher PM. Having a problem at home? Simple, just jump on a plane & make an excuse to fly somewhere exotic for some useless meeting. Lecture another foreign leader about LGBTQ rights cuz it plays well with his base back home. Polievre is a rank amateur compared to Trudeau when it comes to political theatre.

Yikes. Trudeau is a spoiled rich kid who is woefully out of touch with the common person. For him it's not theatre so much as just not having a clue. Pollievre on the other hand is a career politician who hasn't had any sort of job outside of politics. He is grandstanding because everything to him is about trying to score political points.  That is far worse than Trudeau IMO.

13 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I dont disagree with you, but an inquiry does absolutely nothing. Cons in one breathe cry about spending....while in the next want what would certainly be an expensive inquiry to tell us all what we already know....there is outside influence and there's basically sweet **** all we can do about it.

Do I think the last election was impacted to the extent PP wants people to believe it was....no....not even remotely close. But hey, it's not expensive if the PCs want it.

Liberals were in a no win situation here. Don't call an inquiry....see response above.....call an inquiry, it's too much spending....it's not being done by the right people...if they find nothing...see above response....if they find something, liberals are at fault...PP talks about stolen elections etc etc. Blah blah blah blah, more taxes lost to some stupid political game. 

The Cons are not alone in asking for an inquiry. The NDP, BQ, and Greens also asked for one. I don't pretend to know whether an inquiry would be good or bad, nor should anyone else here. However, I do know that it was presented as a motion in the House of Commons and was passed by the majority. That's how democracies work, and not calling one despite the majority passing the motion is a gross abuse of power.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And his "ilk"??? No, more like "those people" who are thieves, thugs & crooks that call themselves Liberals in the H of C. The worst government in Canadian history full of scandal after scandal after scandal. Trudeau being investigated 5 times for ethics violations since he became PM. Trudeau made sure his buddy David Johnson buried a federal enquiry into Chinese interference in our government, threatening elected Canadian officials & their families & elections. Ilk??? Please. 

This ain't over. 

Exactly right. 

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Would it though? Or would Milhouse just yell and scream if it didn't say what he wanted it to? 

This is all theatre plain and simple.

It wouldn't matter if Poilievre screamed and yelled after because the results would be transparent. Something the current Liberals have a deep rooted problem with. You guys talk about Poilievre grandstanding and creating a circus, I am yet to see a Liberal answer one direct question asked of them. That is where the circus starts.

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yikes. Trudeau is a spoiled rich kid who is woefully out of touch with the common person. For him it's not theatre so much as just not having a clue. Pollievre on the other hand is a career politician who hasn't had any sort of job outside of politics. He is grandstanding because everything to him is about trying to score political points.  That is far worse than Trudeau IMO.

Trudeau has masterfully painted himself as the victim of the big old mean Cons, asking him questions and stuff. Anyone who listens to ANY exchange in the HoC can see that the Liberals NEVER answer a question posed to them and the opposition continually asking for the answer. That's not political grandstanding, that's their function in parliament. The Liberals are the ones abusing the HOC.

12 hours ago, Mark F said:

ucp supporter says he will  hunt NDP people.

https://twitter.com/LukaszukAB/status/1661001912811163653?s=20

"Signed, 

Alberta Land Owners"

What a deranged tweet. On par with some of the recent commentary in this thread - yet again.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Funny how we seem to be one of the last countries to take precautions to at least try to reduce political interference. Even freaking Australia has done more than us. 

[CITATIONS UNAVAIBLE]

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I definitely do not care for the daily circus in question period - it's pathetic.

It's embarrassing to watch.

36 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It wouldn't matter if Poilievre screamed and yelled after because the results would be transparent. Something the current Liberals have a deep rooted problem with. You guys talk about Poilievre grandstanding and creating a circus, I am yet to see a Liberal answer one direct question asked of them. That is where the circus starts.

That would be because 8 out of 10 questions are Captain Obvious talking points.

When will you cancel the carbon tax?

When will you get out of the way so Conservatives can take over?

Why don't you cancel the carbon tax?

Why is the Prime Minister hiding?

10 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That would be because 8 out of 10 questions are Captain Obvious talking points.

When will you cancel the carbon tax?

When will you get out of the way so Conservatives can take over?

Why don't you cancel the carbon tax?

Why is the Prime Minister hiding?

Baloney, I watched a 45 minute refusal this week to answer the question " how much per year is interest on our national debt". A fair and legitimate question by any standard. Met with an absolute non-sensical 45 minute dance around by the Liberals. The week before I watched Freeland refuse to answer what the average cost of housing is in the country right now. Yes there are questions such as the ones you've listed but the Liberals absolutely REFUSE to answer ANY questions even those that are legitimate and with merit. It's a farce, and they are making a mockery of parliament. I guess even they themselves know that they have made a mess of the economy.

Edited by GCn20

27 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

merit. It's a farce, and they are making a mockery of parliament. I guess even they themselves know that they have made a mess of the economy

Actually the Liberals have done incredibly well for the economy... it came roaring back hugely after the worst of the pandemic and still manages to keep growing after the bank of Canada's interest rate hikes which are designed to slow an economy... unless you mean something else when you say economy...

43 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What a deranged tweet.

echo of The Governor of South Carolina, several days ago. "he was just joking"

McMaster made the shocking remark Saturday during a convention in Lexington, South Carolina, for the state GOP. “I look forward to the day that Democrats are so rare, we have to hunt them with dogs,” he told a crowd of party members.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Actually the Liberals have done incredibly well for the economy... it came roaring back hugely after the worst of the pandemic and still manages to keep growing after the bank of Canada's interest rate hikes which are designed to slow an economy... unless you mean something else when you say economy...

Tell that to the working poor who are visiting food banks at an unprecedented rate. They will tell you what they think of the economy. Or to the thirty somethings living in their parent's basement because rent and mortgages are a pipe dream for them right now. Tell it to the senior citizen who is stealing food from Safeway so they can eat. Tell that to the guys on my reserve who have watched countless friends commit suicide because despair is at an all time high on reserves. Don't give me this cock and bull that they have done some kind of amazing job with the economy. They have spent their way out at crippling cost to future generations. Printing money is not the same as managing an economy.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Tell that to the working poor who are visiting food banks at an unprecedented rate. They will tell you what they think of the economy. Or to the thirty somethings living in their parent's basement because rent and mortgages are a pipe dream for them right now. Tell it to the senior citizen who is stealing food from Safeway so they can eat. Tell that to the guys on my reserve who have watched countless friends commit suicide because despair is at an all time high on reserves. Don't give me this cock and bull that they have done some kind of amazing job with the economy. They have spent their way out at crippling cost to future generations. Printing money is not the same as managing an economy.

While Conservative Provincial governments are hiding record transfers from the Feds in order to cut taxes for their wealthy donors instead of improving or implementing their own social safety nets to help those poor people you mention.

Conservatives have always been about punching down.  I don't know how you don't see it.

40 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Baloney, I watched a 45 minute refusal this week to answer the question " how much per year is interest on our national debt". A fair and legitimate question by any standard. Met with an absolute non-sensical 45 minute dance around by the Liberals. The week before I watched Freeland refuse to answer what the average cost of housing is in the country right now. Yes there are questions such as the ones you've listed but the Liberals absolutely REFUSE to answer ANY questions even those that are legitimate and with merit. It's a farce, and they are making a mockery of parliament. I guess even they themselves know that they have made a mess of the economy.

I remember when I first starting paying attention to politics. 

It absolutely blows my mind that fully grown adults think changing who is in charge will somehow make things different lol. It's like this weird amnesia comes over the country every ten years or so...."(Party that's currently in power) is making a joke out of our nation/parliament/democracy/economy/any dumb word that gets the people riled up......lets vote in that other party that will certainly make the changes this country needs and definitely won't end up in the exact same situation 10 years from now. The leader of the opposition just promised that HE knows how to make things better for MY life!! He also promised he isn't just talking out his ass to get power! Wow!! He's got my vote!"

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Those things aren't the economy. The economy cares not for individuals and their plight, only about the money the country is making. Doesn't matter if it's only a few making that money.

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

While Conservative Provincial governments are hiding record transfers from the Feds in order to cut taxes for their wealthy donors instead of improving or implementing their own social safety nets to help those poor people you mention.

Conservatives have always been about punching down.  I don't know how you don't see it.

Wilful ignorance is my best guess.

32 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yup, hiding behind labels then when called on it cries victim, mocks and hurls insults with ALL CAPS.