Canadian Politics

10 hours ago, WildPath said:

I'm not pointing out that we didn't and don't have inflation, but pointing out that it was experienced elsewhere in places that spent less than we have. That should have been obvious based on the quote you were responding to. If it was due to Trudeau's spending as you say, then other places wouldn't have had inflation or inflation would be directly correlated to a country's spending which it is not.

I believe every G20 country did what we did & I agree the Trudeau Liberals had to do something after restrictions were put in place. So, they came up with CERB. The criticism is that the Liberals have never stopped spending since. 

17 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Then why is inflation happening around the globe? Ukraine supplies a lot of food to Europe and Russia a lot of energy. Those two fighting had impacted that which has a ripple effect across the rest of the world. You had a lot of the manufacturing shut down  during the pandemic and it was slow to ramp back up to meet demand as economies came back on line. These things push inflation more than government spending.

It's happening around the globe because every Western country did similar measures. They had no choice. You can't make people stay home & not help them financially. I can't speak for any other country other than Canada but the Libs have never stopped spending. That increases inflation. 

On CBC radio Saturday afternoon, they presented an in-depth report on how Take Back Alberta infiltrated, influenced and finally now dominates the Alberta Conservative party. It involved a form of gerrymandering delegate selections as well as opening polling places late and closing them early to ensure that the "right" delegates went to the conventions and promoted the desired policies. It was a chilling parallel to what the Qanon has done to the GOP in the US and doubtless there was tactical advise that flowed across the border. Somehow the leadership of the Alberta Cons have either been blissfully unconcerned or neutered while their party was suborned.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Somehow the leadership of the Alberta Cons have either been blissfully unconcerned or neutered while their party was suborned.

Well kenney said the crazies were taking over before they tossed him. And a lot of the former PCs have just left the party. Many are backing the NDP who have a very centre-right platform this election. 

The problem is a lot of voters in calgary see blue and vote for it without thought. 

On 2023-05-21 at 3:30 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I can't speak for any other country other than Canada but the Libs have never stopped spending. That increases inflation.

If you want to see if your position is valid, check our spending compared to other countries and check how we've done with inflation compared to those countries.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The point is that all G20 countries spent & it has contributed to inflation worldwide. 

There is a very arguable belief that the record profits that the big corporations have racked up by hiking their prices with COVID as an excuse was the main driver of the inflation of the past three years. 

19 hours ago, Tracker said:

On CBC radio Saturday afternoon, they presented an in-depth report on how Take Back Alberta infiltrated, influenced and finally now dominates the Alberta Conservative party. It involved a form of gerrymandering delegate selections as well as opening polling places late and closing them early to ensure that the "right" delegates went to the conventions and promoted the desired policies. It was a chilling parallel to what the Qanon has done to the GOP in the US and doubtless there was tactical advise that flowed across the border. Somehow the leadership of the Alberta Cons have either been blissfully unconcerned or neutered while their party was suborned.

I've read a few interviews with local delegates, they've said these normally friendly gatherings were conducted like hostile takeovers with a lot of animosity present in the room.  It's akin to professional footballers showing up to play in an amateur league game, it's becoming a blood sport.  God help keep American politicking out of Canada, it's time to take a top down view of our political system to help protect it and prevent it's erosion.  We are different and we want to remain different, thanks.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

There is a very arguable belief that the record profits that the big corporations have racked up by hiking their prices with COVID as an excuse was the main driver of the inflation of the past three years. 

https://www.epi.org/blog/corporate-profits-have-contributed-disproportionately-to-inflation-how-should-policymakers-respond/

248291-29919.png

https://centreforfuturework.ca/2023/01/20/profits-not-wages-have-driven-canadian-inflation/

The cause is obvious when you look at the data. It's corporate greed avarice ruining things, not gov't spending.

Edited by blue_gold_84
info added

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The point is that all G20 countries spent & it has contributed to inflation worldwide. 

It's a strawman argument to suggest that because all G20 countries have high inflation we should too. Canada is a resource based economy and are in the unique position of being able to battle inflation much easier than the rest of the G20. Yes, global effects are giving us inflation but it is being compounded by out of control spending by the federal government as well, and a refusal to open up our own resources to help drive down inflation. It's many factors but those throwing their hands up in the air saying the feds can't do more are giving the government a free pass.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/johnston-pubblic-inquiry-report-1.6851735

David Johnston has recommended against calling a public inquiry into foreign interference in Canadian politics.

His decision comes after all opposition parties have called for an inquiry and after the government itself said it would support one — if Johnston recommended it.

"When I began this process, I thought I would come to the same conclusion — that I would recommend a public inquiry," Johnston said in a news conference Tuesday.

"While it would have been an easy choice, it would not be the correct one."

Johnston, appointed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as a special rapporteur on foreign interference in March in response to the furor over Chinese government interference, has spent the last two months reviewing documents and interviewing policymakers.

Johnston also defended his impartiality in response to attacks from Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre citing Johnston's relationship with the Trudeau family and the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation.

While he isn't recommending a public inquiry, Johnston said in his report he did find "serious shortcomings in the way intelligence is communicated and processed from security agencies through to government."

Johnston said he'll continue his work as special rapporteur through to October by holding hearings to find ways to fix those shortcomings. He said he will produce a second report later this year. 

"The public process should focus on strengthening Canada's capacity to detect, deter and counter foreign interference in our elections and the threat such interference represents to our democracy," Johnston said in his report tabled Tuesday.

Johnston's five conclusions: 

• That foreign governments are attempting to influence political candidates and voters, and that more needs to be done combat these attempts
  • That much of the media reporting on foreign interference raised legitimate questions but did not have full context and as a result was misconstrued by journalists
  • That there are "serious" shortcomings in how security agencies relay information to the government and there's no evidence the prime minister or his minister knowingly failed to act on intelligence, advice and recommendations
  • That a process other than a public inquiry is required to examine foreign interference, including public hearings on the issues the report has identified
  • That the conclusions in his report should go to NSIRA and NSICOP for review, and that those bodies should report publicly if they reach different conclusions.

Johnston said that, while the threat of foreign interference is real and Ottawa should address it, he found much of the media reporting on the issue was "misconstrued" and devoid of context after he reviewed the relevant intelligence.

Johnston was particularly critical of the person or people behind the national security leaks.

"Any responsible intelligence professional knows how destructive and dangerous leaks can be," Johnston said. "It is a matter of urgency that all efforts be made to identify and hold the leaker(s) responsible. Malice cannot be ruled out."

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

It's a strawman argument to suggest that because all G20 countries have high inflation we should too. Canada is a resource based economy and are in the unique position of being able to battle inflation much easier than the rest of the G20. Yes, global effects are giving us inflation but it is being compounded by out of control spending by the federal government as well, and a refusal to open up our own resources to help drive down inflation. It's many factors but those throwing their hands up in the air saying the feds can't do more are giving the government a free pass.

I am by no means giving the government a free pass

But based on what I'm hearing from the leader of the opposition and his ilk on the floor of the commons - I see no reason to give them an opportunity

All they are essentially doing is baiting the Liberals and trying to guilt Trudeau into calling an election

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I think it's pretty obvious that this was a sham with a predetermined result, 

I dont disagree with you, but an inquiry does absolutely nothing. Cons in one breathe cry about spending....while in the next want what would certainly be an expensive inquiry to tell us all what we already know....there is outside influence and there's basically sweet **** all we can do about it.

Do I think the last election was impacted to the extent PP wants people to believe it was....no....not even remotely close. But hey, it's not expensive if the PCs want it.

Liberals were in a no win situation here. Don't call an inquiry....see response above.....call an inquiry, it's too much spending....it's not being done by the right people...if they find nothing...see above response....if they find something, liberals are at fault...PP talks about stolen elections etc etc. Blah blah blah blah, more taxes lost to some stupid political game. 

Edited by Bigblue204

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I dont disagree with you, but an inquiry does absolutely nothing. Cons in one breathe cry about spending....while in the next want what would certainly be an expensive inquiry to tell us all what we already know....there is outside influence and there's basically sweet **** all we can do about it.

Do I think the last election was impacted to the extent PP wants people to believe it was....no....not even remotely close. But hey, it's not expensive if the PCs want it.

Liberals were in a no win situation here. Don't call an inquiry....see response above.....call an inquiry, it's too much spending....it's not being done by the right people...if they find nothing...see above response....if they find something, liberals are at fault...PP talks about stolen elections etc etc. Blah blah blah blah, more taxes lost to some stupid political game. 

Trudeau invited both opposition leaders to be briefed as to the contents of the report under condition of confidentiality. Singh has accepted the invitation and Poilievre (of course) refused saying that he would not be a party to a coverup. Johnson stated that the information was highly confidential and should be shared with great caution.

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I am by no means giving the government a free pass

But based on what I'm hearing from the leader of the opposition and his ilk on the floor of the commons - I see no reason to give them an opportunity

All they are essentially doing is baiting the Liberals and trying to guilt Trudeau into calling an election

And his "ilk"??? No, more like "those people" who are thieves, thugs & crooks that call themselves Liberals in the H of C. The worst government in Canadian history full of scandal after scandal after scandal. Trudeau being investigated 5 times for ethics violations since he became PM. Trudeau made sure his buddy David Johnson buried a federal enquiry into Chinese interference in our government, threatening elected Canadian officials & their families & elections. Ilk??? Please. 

This ain't over.