Canadian Politics

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I lean more to the conservative side on economic issues, so I want the federal Conservative party to do well, but their ability to shoot themselves in the feet and then stick them in their mouths with racist stuff is both impressive and frustrating at the same time. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, it would be helpful if Andrew Scheer would show some balls & come out from hiding under the blankets. Where is this guy??? What a useless *** of a leader. It seems he just cowers in a corner saying & doing absolutely nothing. 

Maybe he holds the same views, but knows he can't get elected if he expresses them. Better to be thought a racist than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I thought Maxime was in a good position. Let Andy lose the next one and win in 23.

I don't think making a statement like this ends his career.  We are in the age of Trump even in Canada.

It is the end when you’re a Conservative in Canada. Let’s face it, it’s far easier for Liberals to get elected in this country. 

6 hours ago, nate007 said:

Maybe he holds the same views, but knows he can't get elected if he expresses them. Better to be thought a racist than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

The man is totally useless. I don't know if I expected much from this guy as he was never the frontrunner but I never expected he'd be this bad. No policy announcements to counteract Trudeau. Little or nothing on the NAFTA negotiations or tariffs. Just silence. No nothing. 

Andrew Scheer is the politician that everyone on here thinks Maxime Bernier should be.  Above all he seems to try not to give the left a reason to lose their mind and call him racist, sexist, etc.

Eventually he'll have to say something, and he'll find out that's impossible. Just look at Stephen Harper, Mitt Romney, etc.  The most polished and careful conservatives are all eventually called racists, sexists, evil etc.  That's the real reason Trump is president.  Believe it or not, half the USA are not actually racists(!!!). But, flawed as he may be and partly because of his flaws, they finally found a guy immune to insane character attacks of the left.

I'm all for taking down statues of Pierre Trudeau, but that's only because I don't believe he deserves a statue in the first place.  I'm not a big fan of pulling down statues, it's just too 1984 and Orwellian for me.  I don't mind some kind of plaque detailing the good and the bad, but like it or not, these are historical figures in our history that are responsible for the country we live in today, warts and all.

Nobody is taking down any statues or taking his name off building and PET was responsible for the 69 White Paper and said some racist things during that debate.

For the record, I don't like the idea of taking down statues. To me discuss the good and the bad and let people make their own decisions.

17 hours ago, max power said:

But, flawed as he may be and partly because of his flaws, they finally found a guy immune to insane character attacks of the left.

This sums it up.  That response Trump made to Megyn Kelly at the debates won him the election.  Finally someone stood up to the attacks, and beat them down.  I am no fan of Trump, but I have tried and tried to explain why he won to people still in disbelief, and they just refuse to understand.  Stop the constant attacks.  Not everyone is a "racist" or a "bigot" because they don't support every single PC dictate coming from on high.  Mark mentioned the statue of John A.  I have seen this discussed on other sites, and the conversation just goes like this:

Average joe: "I don't support statues of Canadian historical figures being pulled down".

SJW:  "You are a racist bigot who loves Trump".

Average Joe: "Sigh".  Inwardly thinking "I will do my speaking at the ballot box I guess".

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Nobody is taking down any statues or taking his name off building and PET was responsible for the 69 White Paper and said some racist things during that debate.

For the record, I don't like the idea of taking down statues. To me discuss the good and the bad and let people make their own decisions.

was the 1969 White Paper regarding getting rid of the "Indian Act"?  I have heard good and bad things about that initiative.

I am not in favour of taking down any statues at all.  Macdonald's treatment of First Nations is well documented and has been widely discussed.  I'm beyond annoyed when people still try to claim there are those who don't know, and removing the statue will be a small step towards education and reconciliation.

However, somehow, Wilfred Laurier is rarely if ever brought up.  Is it because he's Liberal?  I don't know.  But I do know that his immigration policies were very racist and discussed openly in parliament.  Also, he did nothing to change anything that JAM put into place.  Example: JAM legislated a $50 Chinese Head Tax; Laurier raised it to $100, then $500.  

Then there's Mackenzie King.  He banned Chinese immigration altogether, on July 1, 1923.  During the Dirty Thirties, he said he wouldn't give a red cent to anyone who didn't vote Liberal.  Then there is the treatment of Japanese Canadians during WWII.

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I am not in favour of taking down any statues at all.  Macdonald's treatment of First Nations is well documented and has been widely discussed.  I'm beyond annoyed when people still try to claim there are those who don't know, and removing the statue will be a small step towards education and reconciliation.

How about a compromise?  The statue is left in place, but there is a full and honest disclosure of the good and the bad (treatment of Indigenous).  I am just trying to be a pragmatist.  I don't like efforts being made to erase historical figures completely, as we can't change history, only learn from it.

However, somehow, Wilfred Laurier is rarely if ever brought up.  Is it because he's Liberal?  I don't know.  But I do know that his immigration policies were very racist and discussed openly in parliament.  Also, he did nothing to change anything that JAM put into place.  Example: JAM legislated a $50 Chinese Head Tax; Laurier raised it to $100, then $500.

Probably because Laurier was a Liberal.  I don't know much about Laurier's immigration policies.  We had to watch a movie the CBC made of him in history class, and I can honestly say that I slept through most of it.  

Then there's Mackenzie King.  He banned Chinese immigration altogether, on July 1, 1923.  During the Dirty Thirties, he said he wouldn't give a red cent to anyone who didn't vote Liberal.  Then there is the treatment of Japanese Canadians during WWII.

Mackenzie King was also a huge anti-Semite.  He could have saved thousands of lives of Jewish people but instead let them be led off to the gas chambers (not that he knew this was happening of course).  

Mackenzie King was mainly responsible for Canada’s anti-Semitic policies before the Second World War. He wrote in his diary in 1938, for instance that: "A very difficult question was risen when Roosevelt asked us to join the United States to admit refugees from Austria, to Germany, etc. This means, in short terms, accepting a certain number of Jews. My own feeling is that nothing will help solving an international problem by bringing it to other nations. We must be careful not to try to play the role of a dog in the manger in Canada’s case, with our wide open spaces and our small population". He was well aware of Quebec’s views on the subject and feared "(...) we would have riots if we agreed to a policy that admitted numbers of Jews". (Diary of WLM King, 29 March 1938 http://king.archives.ca)

Photo: Statue Of William Lyon Mackenzie King

Mackenzie King's statue in Ottawa, on Parliament Hill.  Should we prepare the bull-dozer?

51 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Mackenzie King was also a huge anti-Semite.  He could have saved thousands of lives of Jewish people but instead let them be led off to the gas chambers (not that he knew this was happening of course

It’s hard to believe that he and other world leaders didn’t have at least an inkling. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

It’s hard to believe that he and other world leaders didn’t have at least an inkling. 

that definitely is a debate all right.  On the surface of it, it would be hard to believe that it was going on, as the human mind probably can't even imagine such barbaric practice, by a supposed cultured and educated society. 

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Mackenzie King was also a huge anti-Semite.  He could have saved thousands of lives of Jewish people but instead let them be led off to the gas chambers (not that he knew this was happening of course). 

Not as bad as the USA waiting 2 years to join WW2 and 4 for WW1.