Canadian Politics

29 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I don't think we're going to see any pipeline built in Canada going forward. Heck, if things were the same in the 19th century and early 20th century as they are now, we would not be a country.

Might have to just push it down into Trump land. You know theres no environmental laws there now.

You know I really get angry at these whackos who don't understand how economies work. There isn't some money fairy that gives governments money to fund their little pet social projects, and opposing a pipeline isn't just about keeping the oil and gas sector in this country at a disadvantage it says to anyone looking to invest in Canada for anything to not bother cause the courts might just stop everything anyway. 

Time to stop acting like a bunch of petulant children and starting working together as a country for a change. 

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You know I really get angry at these whackos who don't understand how economies work. There isn't some money fairy that gives governments money to fund their little pet social projects, and opposing a pipeline isn't just about keeping the oil and gas sector in this country at a disadvantage it says to anyone looking to invest in Canada for anything to not bother cause the courts might just stop everything anyway. 

Time to stop acting like a bunch of petulant children and starting working together as a country for a change. 

I get the concern about the environment and environmental damage but pipelines are so much better than transporting oil by rail, on so many levels. (Or by ship - I'm looking you Quebec!!)

Do they think that stopping the pipeline will stop the movement of oil? Cause, it won't. 

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So let's form our own country ala Lucien Bouchard.

G'damn separatists!

We have a weak central government.  We have the judiciary changing laws & telling elected officials what they should be doing instead off the other way around. We have First Nations & special interest groups setting policy as well as affecting policy. We have BC challenging the rule of law in this country. Without a strong federal government this is what happens. I would say that under PET's Charter of Rights & Freedoms, a good chunk of federal power has either been taken away or neutered. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We have a weak central government.  We have the judiciary changing laws & telling elected officials what they should be doing instead off the other way around. We have First Nations & special interest groups setting policy as well as affecting policy. We have BC challenging the rule of law in this country. Without a strong federal government this is what happens. I would say that under PET's Charter of Rights & Freedoms, a good chunk of federal power has either been taken away or neutered. 

Oh...you mean Communism!

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Oh...you mean Communism!

No. Communism means strong central government. The Communist Party controls everything. Dissidence & questioning is not tolerated. There would be no pipeline protest in a communist country. Environmentalists, First Nations leaders, politicians & judges would be in jail or dead.

On 2018-08-13 at 9:19 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, it would be helpful if Andrew Scheer would show some balls & come out from hiding under the blankets. Where is this guy??? What a useless *** of a leader. It seems he just cowers in a corner saying & doing absolutely nothing. 

He's literally sitting right in front of me at LDC so I'll pass on your thoughts! 🤣

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Seems we have a new trade deal - with dairy concessions made - probably beginning of the end for supply management in Canada. 

That really pisses me off.

What happened to small hog farmers after they got rid of their supply management? All gone now. Rent their farms to big Ag.

Dairy farmers provide jobs, support local rural business, and work their asses off. 

Problem is, probably will not be able to buy Canadian milk in the future, cause American factory farm milk will be a few pennies cheaper.

I do not like this at all. 

American dairy farms are in a money crunch, cause they get squeezed from all sides. they are huge, monstrous operations. So, they'll dump their crud here. Do they still use growth hormones? illegal here. 

And to boot, they won't be allowed to label "made in Canada" I bet.

F off Trump.

Edited by Mark F

We are in the stupid position of having all of our eggs in one basket, cause it's easy.

Now we are f$$ked.

Trump will be back for more.

If I were in Canadian business, and Canadian government business affairs, I would quietly start looking for other markets. Now. 

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

What happened to small hog farmers after they got rid of their supply management? All gone now. Rent their farms to big Ag.

Dairy farmers provide jobs, support local rural business, and work their asses off. 

Problem is, probably will not be able to buy Canadian milk in the future, cause American factory farm milk will be a few pennies cheaper.

American dairy farms are in a money crunch, cause they get squeezed from all sides. they are huge, monstrous operations. So, they'll dump their crud here. Do they still use growth hormones? illegal here. 

F off Trump.

To be clear, they're getting access to 3.6% of the market, up from the 3.25% that was going to be a part of the TPP. 

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

F off Trump.

It was inevitable. Dairy and poultry farmers have quietly made a fortune over the years, hoping no one would notice. 

Cost to produce a dozen eggs: 0.65

Selling price for the farmer: 1.90 - 2.50

Hormones must be banned only for dairy, because beef feedlots sure use them. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

It was inevitable. Dairy and poultry farmers have quietly made a fortune over the years, hoping no one would notice. 

Cost to produce a dozen eggs: 0.65

Selling price for the farmer: 1.90 - 2.50

Hormones must be banned only for dairy, because beef feedlots sure use them. 

I imagine pigs and chickens are currently being supplemented with growth hormones in Canada as well?