US Politics

Rich

On 1/4/2017 at 5:27 PM, Jacquie said:

It's hard to imagine JFK and RFK had direct ties to the mob considering everything they did to try to destroy the mob.

You might have the wrong J.... Joe Kennedy was the man behind the Mob connections (If I'm to believe everything I've read and seen, and I have no reason not to...)

Do people need to know that fool to understand that he's an insecure bigot fool who does exactly what Meryl Streep said he does, the funny thing tho, she didn't exactly mention Trump by name, she didn't actually... I do think, actors should probably shut the hell up as they don't really understand the realities of the average american, how can they? they live in Hollywood in 300 million square foot palaces, But.. she didn't mention  Trump by name. 

Just to add, I don't watch these awards shows, because i just don't care, but if i did, i wouldn't want to hear everyone come up and talk politics, I mean, i don't watch TV shows or don't go to movies to hear about Politics and all this stuff, it actually sickens me that these actors think they truly know whats best for everyone, They have NO CLUE AT ALL themselves, but... if i was to watch one of these shows, if someone talks about Trump or Politics or whatever else, global warming, etc, I'll shut it off, I don't need to hear these peoples opinions on it, especially not watching an awards show, tv show or movie where i'm supposed to be trying to escape reality for a while. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Do people need to know that fool to understand that he's an insecure bigot fool who does exactly what Meryl Streep said he does, the funny thing tho, she didn't exactly mention Trump by name, she didn't actually... I do think, actors should probably shut the hell up as they don't really understand the realities of the average american, how can they? they live in Hollywood in 300 million square foot palaces, But.. she didn't mention  Trump by name. 

I generally agree about Hollywood actors.  Someone like Streep is very respected and the way she spoke, she basically called for empathy.  I dont have any issue with what she said.  It was a lifetime achievement award she accepted.  I think in that context she has the right to speak and she did so in a well-spoken way.

Trump is completely clueless about perception.  He thinks he can win every argument via tweet.  If he was half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be gracious about the criticism now that he actually won.  But he is what he is. 

His mouthpiece/fixer Kennyann Conway is a numbskull too.  To be fair, she has the hardest job in the world - trying to make sense of her boss but to attack Streep the way she did and essentially say that if she cared about the disabled, she'd talk about other disabled people being attacked, just an attempt to white-noise the issue. 

Trump is a liar.  Politicians lie.  But most of them know when its time to pony up.  He doesn't.  He mocked that reporter and it was despicable.  He's a liar.

I don't disagree with any of that either, I just think sometimes, these actors just need to shut up about everything, they live in a bubble, they don't have problems like the average person does, they don't get it, No issue with what Streep said, she's a legend, she can say what she wants, she also didn't mention trump by name, she was just talking in general... and she was very much right about what she said.

Trump and his team, man oh man, someone needs to take twitter away from him, for real, it's sad and scary that the next President of the Country directly below us, our neighbors really, it's scary to think that he's out there on twitter talking crap and just blatantly lying and basically being an absolute IDIOT. he's acting like a child, someone needs to take his twitter away. 

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I don't disagree with any of that either, I just think sometimes, these actors just need to shut up about everything, they live in a bubble, they don't have problems like the average person does, they don't get it, No issue with what Streep said, she's a legend, she can say what she wants, she also didn't mention trump by name, she was just talking in general... and she was very much right about what she said.

Trump and his team, man oh man, someone needs to take twitter away from him, for real, it's sad and scary that the next President of the Country directly below us, our neighbors really, it's scary to think that he's out there on twitter talking crap and just blatantly lying and basically being an absolute IDIOT. he's acting like a child, someone needs to take his twitter away. 

If he was smart, he would have used his winning as an opportunity to change his ways.  But I really think he'd see being President as not so much fun if he doesnt get to lie and insult everyone.  Such a jerk.  Full marks to Conway for being good at her job, but she comes across sleazy in having to defend such silliness.

58 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Just to add, I don't watch these awards shows, because i just don't care, but if i did, i wouldn't want to hear everyone come up and talk politics, I mean, i don't watch TV shows or don't go to movies to hear about Politics and all this stuff, it actually sickens me that these actors think they truly know whats best for everyone, They have NO CLUE AT ALL themselves, but... if i was to watch one of these shows, if someone talks about Trump or Politics or whatever else, global warming, etc, I'll shut it off, I don't need to hear these peoples opinions on it, especially not watching an awards show, tv show or movie where i'm supposed to be trying to escape reality for a while. 

Can't really argue with this.  And they seem to be in over-drive lately.  It's getting very over-the-top. Every day another "concerned celebrity" group shows up with a PSA.

50 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Agree 100%

Im generally annoyed by celebrities thinking their beliefs "trump" everyone else.  I do however understand the thought that someone with celebrity might embrace the idea that its their responsibility as someone so fortunate to have a large voice, to try to do good.  ideally, that means less lobbying celebrity causes and more of what Streep did - which was not so much an attack on Trump, but an appeal for dignity and empathy and respect.

I think celebrities can lose touch in the sense they like to lobby ideas that might be detrimental or difficult for the average person.  Climate Change being one where yeah sure, we should all buy $80,000 enviro cars and outfit our homes with solar.  But to Celebrities, its a no-brainer.  To us, not so easy.

Anyway, just my two cents.  Left or right, I think the group of people that actually defend the conduct and behavior of Trump will grow smaller.  It gets to the point that the bigger the *******, the greater the stench of what comes out of it. And that gets hard to defend.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/09/5-reasons-meryl-streeps-golden-globes-speech-dud/

I agree with some of the points mentioned in this article.  As a Bomber fan, I was personally offended by Ms. Streep's drive-by smear of football fans.  What, we can't be football fans AND also appreciative of culture?  Not cool dude.

11 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/09/5-reasons-meryl-streeps-golden-globes-speech-dud/

I agree with some of the points mentioned in this article.  As a Bomber fan, I was personally offended by Ms. Streep's drive-by smear of football fans.  What, we can't be football fans AND also appreciative of culture?  Not cool dude.

She also said MMA wasnt art.  Come on...shes nuts.  lol

Edited by The Unknown Poster

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I'm not sure why she added that part about football and mma. It added nothing to her speech.

I get her point.  I imagine she's not a fan so to her, they represent examples of sort of low brow easy mindless entertainment.  You can replace Football & MMA with whatever examples would suit or or me personally.  I get her point.

Getting her point doesn't make it more valid though.  She's ignorant to the time/energy/skill it takes to be great at those sports... just like it takes work for someone to become a great actor.

In her speech, she said disrespect invites disrespect but then goes and throws shade at football & mma.  She should practice what she preaches.

10 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Getting her point doesn't make it more valid though.  She's ignorant to the time/energy/skill it takes to be great at those sports... just like it takes work for someone to become a great actor.

In her speech, she said disrespect invites disrespect but then goes and throws shade at football & mma.  She should practice what she preaches.

This was how I saw it. I understood what she was going for her, I just thought she shouldn't have said it. Gave off the "elitist" vibe she was trying to downplay when she was giving the background of some of the actors in the audience.

My $.02...eloquent speech with one unfortunate throwaway line.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I get her point.  I imagine she's not a fan so to her, they represent examples of sort of low brow easy mindless entertainment.  You can replace Football & MMA with whatever examples would suit or or me personally.  I get her point.

And yet I would rather watch the Riders play each other in an intra-mural training camp game then go to her latest movie, which just looked awful. :)

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Death becomes her was funny. She was in that; Meryl  was good in it.

The other day I heard John Mcain say that if Russia did some hacking in the US, it was an act of war.

There's a guy that needs to stop  the war mongering. He's despicable. Thank god he didn't become president. Much more frightening than trump.

pretty remarkable to see how the establishment politicians of both parties are uniting against trump. First time I've seen that happen.

Edited by Mark F
edited

I don't know why people think she was putting down football and MMA. I don't know about MMA but I think it's safe to say that in the US the percentage of non-Americans playing professional or college football is pretty small compared to other major sports. If "outsiders and foreigners" were kicked out there wouldn't be much of the entertainment industry or sports leagues left.

Edited by Jacquie

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

Another example:

And Arnold's much classier response:

I have to agree with Piers Morgan on this one:

My overriding disappointment though is that she missed a massive opportunity to do something really constructive.

How much more effective would it have been had the most powerful woman in Hollywood called for unity not division, demanded a stop to all the teeth-gnashing and wailing over the election result, and urged Donald Trump in his inauguration speech to preach tolerance, fairness and equality?

That would have been a truly courageous and admirable thing to do.

Instead, Meryl Streep poured another 100 gallons of oil onto an already inflamed toxic fire.

She will get exactly what she wanted: today, she’s the toast of Hollywood, the darling of social media and a heroine to every Millennial in the world.

I’ve seen people on my Twitter feed say they actually wept with joy at her words.

But the reality is that she’s also enraged tens of millions of Americans who voted for and like Donald Trump, not to mention those who love their football and MMA.

And she’s simply re-confirmed to them what Mark Wahlberg said a few weeks ago when he urged actors not to talk about politics:

‘A lot of Hollywood is living in a bubble. They’re pretty out of touch with the common person, with the everyday guy out there providing for their family.’

Quite.

Meryl, I still love you dearly, but you had a chance to bring your country together last night and you blew it. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4102026/PIERS-MORGAN-Sorry-Meryl-hypocritical-anti-Trump-rant-easily-worst-performance-career-apart-time-gave-child-rapist-standing-ovation.html#ixzz4VJPZB6RG

Edited by kelownabomberfan

I disagree. Trump's actions and words and attitudes are the negative issue.  Streep was under no obligation to use her voice to do Trump a favour.  Her words were suitably diplomatic in their call for empathy.  Unlike Trump, she didnt call for anyone to be assassinated.  She didnt mock his appearance. 

Streep didnt miss an opportunity at all.  And Morgan is just piggy backing on her for his own two cents in this way.  Okay Piers, we get it, you could be an even more effective voice than Streep.  Sure.