In Case You Missed It -

Mr Dee

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

We just might be. I have a facebook friend who is an ardent Rider fan. He said DD has an online business in Regina that brings him in an extra $30,000 a year in income & even though he could work the business from elsewhere it's tied to Riders merchandising so he thinks DD will re-sign with the Riders. If he goes elsewhere there goes the business.

Or he can get an extra 30 grand signing bonus and then retire with a career advertising booster juice for the club :P

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I wouldn't mind keeping him over dressler to be honest. Just due to dresslers age. But yeah I don't think both of them will be on the team next year.

I'd mind based on production. If the Bombers were to let their top receiver go to keep a guy who gets hurt as much as Smith does, I wouldn't be happy. 

16 minutes ago, Atomic said:

2 weeks ago you were telling everyone he gets open whenever he wants... now he's on the way out?

It might have more to do with having so much money tied up in our WR's and an improving secondary with some expiring contracts (next year) and some guys may be looking for raises and extensions.

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

It might have more to do with having so much money tied up in our WR's and an improving secondary with some expiring contracts (next year) and some guys may be looking for raises and extensions.

Who in our secondary has an expiring contract and would be seeking a raise?  Randle is already paid handsomely.  B. Johnson just extended through 2018 last year.  Frederick, Roberts, Fogg, and Heath are all on the first year of their contracts and none of them are likely one-year deals.  Loffler is in year one, as well.

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Who in our secondary has an expiring contract and would be seeking a raise?  Randle is already paid handsomely.  B. Johnson just extended through 2018 last year.  Frederick, Roberts, Fogg, and Heath are all on the first year of their contracts and none of them are likely one-year deals.  Loffler is in year one, as well.

If Frederick, Roberts, Fogg, and Heath are on 2 year deals then next year you need to look at freeing up money to extend them. They won't come cheap either if they continue on their current trajectory.

I'm not campaigning to get Smith out of here and I won't speak for Mike and his rationale for his comment but my guess would be that a decision on Smith (or Dressler) would be based on how much money they want to allocate to their WR's.

Edited by Nash00

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I wouldn't mind keeping him over dressler to be honest. Just due to dresslers age. But yeah I don't think both of them will be on the team next year.

Dressler is twice the receiver Smith is regardless of age.

I don't have a crystal ball but I see Dressler playing another three to four years controlling for injury and/or will.

There's no way I give this guy up. Extend him for another two years.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Dressler is twice the receiver Smith is regardless of age.

I don't have a crystal ball but I see Dressler playing another three to four years controlling for injury and/or will.

There's no way I give this guy up. Extend him for another two years.

But, but, Jones got rid of him and well, y'know, Jones is a genius and couldn't possibly have made a mistake getting rid of Dressler when he did. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Mike said:

To be fair, I think the Ryan Smith experiment is over after this year.

Smith is a talented receiver but I really believe our receivers have to get bigger & more physical even though the rules on PI & incidental contact have largely taken away the physicality of the defensive backs that cover them. I'll take a 6'3 receiver over a 5'10 one in a heartbeat if they have great hands just because the size & weight differential can be a real advantage when the ball is on a high trajectory. The receiver can just go up & get it. Wall out the DB covering him. You just have to look at the Stampeders & their passing attack to see what I mean.

2 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Smith is a talented receiver but I really believe our receivers have to get bigger & more physical even though the rules on PI & incidental contact have largely taken away the physicality of the defensive backs that cover them. I'll take a 6'3 receiver over a 5'10 one in a heartbeat if they have great hands just because the size & weight differential can be a real advantage when the ball is on a high trajectory. The receiver can just go up & get it. Wall out the DB covering him. You just have to look at the Stampeders & their passing attack to see what I mean.

Size isnt nearly the same as durability. Look at blink. Look at darvin adams, nic moore, addison richards, keeping, neufeld, etc etc etc. 

Both willy and nichols in this system have tended to throw passes that put WRs in a dangerous position, one that means they dive to make catches or stretch out and cant protect them self while making a catch. 

By that standard we wouldnt have had milt, albert johnson 3, arland bruce, geroy simon, terrence edwards.

Of the top 10 wrs in the cfl right now this is how it breaks down;

6'3 or over.  under.  6' or less.

3                    7          3

Duron carter, and adarius bowman the bigest head case at wr, and the worst hands of any consistant cfl starter are 2 of the 3 6'3 or taller. Greg ellingson is the 3rd.  So as many short wrs as tall in the top 10. In fact the three short guys are 5'9-5'11. But height, includes forehead. If Smith had a mega forehead adding 4 inches to his height, that would make you happy? Wing span is far more important then height, and size as i showed in the start of the post doesnt mean some one is durable. 

The top 10 wrs in the cfl average 6'0 and 197 pounds. 

You know how many 6'3+ imp wrs who produce stick in the cfl? ask chris mathews. 

Edited by wbbfan

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Both willy and nichols in this system have tended to throw passes that put WRs in a dangerous position, one that means they dive to make catches or stretch out and cant protect them self while making a catch. 

That is BS...you make it sound like that happens virtually every play....you obviously don't know as much as you try to make us think you do...when did you say Lapo is getting fired and replaced by Buck?

13 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I bet both Dressler and Smith wish they were 5'10...  ;)

10 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I don't recall a lot of throws where our qbs have left our receivers in vulnerable positions. I just said I prefer bigger targets at slot & wideout.

when you have to stretch out to make a catch, or dive to make an attempt your vulnerable. our wrs have seen a whole lot of that this year. 

I prefer good players to size. 

Why Ryan Smith?

Because at this point, I'm keeping Darvin Adams (who is a FA) over Smith and it's pretty obvious by our scouting and targeting in trades recently (Quinshad Davis, MeKale McKay) that they still want to add some size to the group we have.

Plus we have a second year out of Thomas Mayo.

My group of receivers, if I had my way next year, would be Adams-Dressler-Mayo/Denmark-recruit-Canadian

There just isn't room for Smith, to be honest. Even though I think he's great when he's healthy.

21 minutes ago, Mike said:

Why Ryan Smith?

Because at this point, I'm keeping Darvin Adams (who is a FA) over Smith and it's pretty obvious by our scouting and targeting in trades recently (Quinshad Davis, MeKale McKay) that they still want to add some size to the group we have.

Plus we have a second year out of Thomas Mayo.

My group of receivers, if I had my way next year, would be Adams-Dressler-Mayo/Denmark-recruit-Canadian

There just isn't room for Smith, to be honest. Even though I think he's great when he's healthy.

Sincere question: Denny over Smith because of $$ or ability?