Nicholls's Potential Bonus

rebusrankin

22 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I'm saying original OL was not an advantage for Drew Willy. 

Such is the life of a pro football qb. Maybe it's not fair but he has to still play no matter who is or isn't blocking for him.  Nicholls won 2 games playing behind that same line last year & looked much better in his decision making even then than Willy did before he was injured. He gets rid of the ball faster & makes better decisions. As far as the shell shock defense fans here are using for Willy to explain his poor play as a qb, if anyone should be shell shocked it's Nicholls with the gruesome leg injuries he's suffered.  Nicholls has been able to come back & get over that "fear of further injury" hump better than Willy. He was able to do it immediately. Willy couldn't seem to do the same.

Edited by iso_55

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

Such is the life of a pro football qb. Maybe it's not fair but he has to still play.  Nicholls won 2 games playing behind that same line last year & looked much better in his decision making even then than Willy did before he was injured. He gets rid of the ball faster & makes better decisions. As far as the shell shock defense fans here are using for Willy to explain his poor play as a qb, if anyone should be shell shocked it's Nicholls with the gruesome leg injuries he's suffered.  Nicholls has been able to come back & get over that "fear of further injury" hump better than Willy. He was able to do it immediately. Willy couldn't seem to do the same.

Willy had to relearn how to walk from the injury he suffered last year in Hamilton.  Nichols injury was years ago.

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Willy had to relearn how to walk from the injury he suffered last year in Hamilton.  Nichols injury was years ago.

I guess you don't remember Nicholls gruesome broken leg in Montreal in the semi finals a few years ago. His foot was pointing in the wrong direction & I bet he too had to re-learn to walk as well. Then the esks first exhibition game the next season he tore his ACL & was gone the entire season. You're actually trying to debate as a non medical professional which injuries were worse, Nicholls or Willy? Both guys suffered devastating injuries. Both had to overcome & both came back but Nicholls seems to have been able to handle all the fears of getting injured again better than Willy.

Edited by iso_55

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

I guess you don't remember Nicholls gruesome broken leg in Montreal in the semi finals a few years ago. His foot was pointing in the wrong direction & I bet he too had to re-learn to walk as well. Then the esks first exhibition game the next season he tore his ACL & was gone the entire season. You're actually trying to debate as a non medical professional which injuries were worse, Nicholls or Willy? Both guys suffered devastating injuries. Both had to overcome & both came back but Nicholls seems to have been able to handle all the fears of getting injured again better than Willy.

I'm not debating anything.  You attacked Willy ridiculously and minimized his injury.

31 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

they happened to win the job out of training camp so are you saying the coaches just picked names out of a hat err...?

The difference between the protection has been night and day since the extra import slot has been used on the o-line.

Nichols has earned the starting job and nice long leash to go with it, but anyone who doesn't realize Willy was in a brutal situation with immediate pressure on him every play is out to lunch.

6 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I believe the bolded is the part you are not keeping in mind here. Nichols was certainly not the same guy the year after he came back from that injury

Attacked Willy? No, you're being ridiculous. And you seem to be minimizing Nicholls injuries. The injuries weren't that long ago but Nicholls still had to get on the field as soon as he could & perform or he wouldn't be playing pro football anymore. The guy is still standing & has indeed overcome his injuries & fears. He's helped turned this team's fortunes around so you can think what you like.

41 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

they happened to win the job out of training camp so are you saying the coaches just picked names out of a hat err...?

"won the jobs" more like Neufeld was handed a job he didn't deserve because of the ratio. If they were really trying to put the best OL on the field from day 1 they would have made 3 americans the starters there from day 1. It's night and day the difference it's made to the run game which helps the quarterback and the entire offense. Willy had the duck and cover routine down pat cause he never trusted anyone to block for him, Nichols has a lot less to worry about behind centre than Willy ever did. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I believe the bolded is the part you are not keeping in mind here. Nichols was certainly not the same guy the year after he came back from that injury

Well, like I said in the response to jbr, he was able to overcome his fears. It's not like he waited 2 years to get back on the field. He played the next season about 7 months after he broke his leg in Edmonton's first game the next season & got seriously hurt again. Now perhaps what happens to Willy will be the same as happened to Nicholls. His career was virtually over in Edmonton buried on the qb depth chart & had to come here to revive it. Maybe that's what has to happen to Willy. Go elsewhere to revive his career.

Edited by iso_55

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Well, like I said in the response to jbr, he was able to overcome his fears. Now perhaps what happens to Willy is the same as happened to Nicholls. His career was virtually over in Edmonton & had to come here to revive it. Maybe that's what has to happen to Willy. Go elsewhere.

It doesn't even have to be go elsewhere, maybe he just needs some time on the bench to recover, because that's what Nichols got in Edmonton too, he did win 5 games with that team last year before we got him. 

But some people here, you included have decided that nope Willy is done, never going to be able to get his head right again, it's ludicrous. People said Glenn would never get his head right again after he was here too and look how that turned out. People are just entirely too quick to write people off. 

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It doesn't even have to be go elsewhere, maybe he just needs some time on the bench to recover, because that's what Nichols got in Edmonton too, he did win 5 games with that team last year before we got him. 

But some people here, you included have decided that nope Willy is done, never going to be able to get his head right again, it's ludicrous. People said Glenn would never get his head right again after he was here too and look how that turned out. People are just entirely too quick to write people off. 

People hate Glenn here. Nothing's changed. If he was signed or traded to Winnipeg there'd be a ton of unhappy fans. You know that. Yeah, I think Willy's time here is coming to an end. His contract is too big for what he's given us. It needs to be renegotiated in order for it to make financial sense to remain a Blue Bomber. We'll see what happens.

Edited by iso_55

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I wasn't implying a NI OL in that post.

neufeld is a ni and thats who you refereed to previously. Him and keeping kinda log jammed in by both not being able to stay healthy. 

Who else do you think is underachieving and well paid that can be replaced by younger guys on this team?

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Starting OL? That's a laugh and a half! 

10+ hits in the first game of the season, 0 in the last game. 

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

"won the jobs" more like Neufeld was handed a job he didn't deserve because of the ratio. If they were really trying to put the best OL on the field from day 1 they would have made 3 americans the starters there from day 1. It's night and day the difference it's made to the run game which helps the quarterback and the entire offense. Willy had the duck and cover routine down pat cause he never trusted anyone to block for him, Nichols has a lot less to worry about behind centre than Willy ever did. 

wasnt bond hurt at the end of the first pre season game? its tough to  keep straight with the way IR is used to save cap space now. we only learned that loffler was ready to start by him having to go into game action. other wise idk where we would have come up with the extra NI to sway the ratio and allow us to start the extra imp on the OL. start hurl and bench bass/wild?

Its unfortunate the way it went down for Willy this year. I was hoping he would have been pulled at least for a few series to settle down during some of the early games. The difference is that Nichols was able to execut Lapo's offence right away and Willy obviously struggled, perhaps partly due to new offence along with rehab rust etc. 

i suspect now that he's seen Nichols execute some of the play he struggled with, (while holding the clipboard) he may see things differently.  

If we could get 2014 Willy back, along with Nichols we would be pretty well set at QB. 2014 Willy is in there and we will see him again. Hopefully with this team.

Edited by SteMar_67
Typo

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Such is the life of a pro football qb. Maybe it's not fair but he has to still play no matter who is or isn't blocking for him.  Nicholls won 2 games playing behind that same line last year & looked much better in his decision making even then than Willy did before he was injured. He gets rid of the ball faster & makes better decisions. As far as the shell shock defense fans here are using for Willy to explain his poor play as a qb, if anyone should be shell shocked it's Nicholls with the gruesome leg injuries he's suffered.  Nicholls has been able to come back & get over that "fear of further injury" hump better than Willy. He was able to do it immediately. Willy couldn't seem to do the same.

Nicholls was expressing frustration about the lack protection last year.