what matt nichols needs to win

wbbfan

The starting job / the game will be up for grabs tnite. If we manage to win it probably wont be a 1 dimensional win but this is what matt nichols needs to get and to do in order to win imop.

Needs to do:

-Get rid of the ball quickly. When hes playing well his mechanics are consistant and easy. When hes forcing you see him short arm balls, drop his hand to his belt and throw from with a wind mill wind up, and he doesnt follow through with his motion. 

-Make good decisions. Hes prone to the gun slinging mentality. Its a double edged sword, he's got to make the right reads go through his progression and protect the ball. 

-Convert. In the red zone, and on 2nd down. He doesnt have to light the world on fire but he's gotta keep the D off the field and medlock too.

What he needs:

-Some of the good strategy and tactics we saw from plop in hammer. Rolls, shovel passes, slide protection, moving the pocket, runs off tackle and any thing but up the gut.

-A good game from the OL. We've given up the most sacks in the league so far this year, but edmonton has the fewest sacks on D. A good game up front to buy nichols some time, and let us pound the ball with harris would be huge. Itd allow us to set up play action, and keep pressure off him better.

-The D to make plays. Our D has given up yards like crazy this year, and we've given up a lot of points. But we lead the league in forced fumbles, picks, and are mid way up on pass deflections. The eskes dont run the ball too well. If they beat us again itll be with the big passing plays. Our secondary is banged up, but we still have some play makers back there.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The starting job / the game will be up for grabs tnite. If we manage to win it probably wont be a 1 dimensional win but this is what matt nichols needs to get and to do in order to win imop.

Needs to do:

-Get rid of the ball quickly. When hes playing well his mechanics are consistant and easy. When hes forcing you see him short arm balls, drop his hand to his belt and throw from with a wind mill wind up, and he doesnt follow through with his motion. 

-Make good decisions. Hes prone to the gun slinging mentality. Its a double edged sword, he's got to make the right reads go through his progression and protect the ball. 

-Convert. In the red zone, and on 2nd down. He doesnt have to light the world on fire but he's gotta keep the D off the field and medlock too.

What he needs:

-Some of the good strategy and tactics we saw from plop in hammer. Rolls, shovel passes, slide protection, moving the pocket, runs off tackle and any thing but up the gut.

-A good game from the OL. We've given up the most sacks in the league so far this year, but edmonton has the fewest sacks on D. A good game up front to buy nichols some time, and let us pound the ball with harris would be huge. Itd allow us to set up play action, and keep pressure off him better.

-The D to make plays. Our D has given up yards like crazy this year, and we've given up a lot of points. But we lead the league in forced fumbles, picks, and are mid way up on pass deflections. The eskes dont run the ball too well. If they beat us again itll be with the big passing plays. Our secondary is banged up, but we still have some play makers back there.

With how Edm's game ended last week, we need to have a big 1st Quarter, keep that downward spiral of theirs going, this will NOT be a bounce back game for them, come at them hard quiet the crowd.  I'm going to the game give me something to cheer about. Hope is all I have. GO Blue! 

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

With how Edm's game ended last week, we need to have a big 1st Quarter, keep that downward spiral of theirs going, this will NOT be a bounce back game for them, come at them hard quiet the crowd.  I'm going to the game give me something to cheer about. Hope is all I have. GO Blue! 

That would be big too. For us and for them if we come out swinging early.

I have an odd feeling that we have a chance against the Esks. Their secondary must still be suffering PTSD after that shelling last game so if we can get off to a good start and hem Reilly in, we ought to be able to keep it close. If we get blown out, we're probably looking at a 4 and 14 season.

Edited by tracker

Mechanics will be key. His accuracy and completion percentage were at the bottom of the league last year. If his mechanics are off (or are rushed by our joke of an OLine) then there will be errant balls for sure.

Also when he does go deep, the ball can't hang up all day as his deep passes have a tendency to.

I'd highly recommend people watch Derek Taylor's piece he did last night on the change. It really puts things in perspective and shows how laughable some comments have been about Nichols when you consider his numbers.

It's not just a question of using numbers as an accurate comparison. We know that Willy is the better QB when all is considered. We also know that, when all things are considered, "Willy ain't right". 

One of these guys will have to step up, grab that QB starting role, and run with it. Personally, I don't care who does it, as long as somebody does. 

If this is what it takes to get Willy going, do it yesterday.

Also, when you look at the QB performances of supposed back up QBs, in the last little while, maybe it will be our turn to benefit from a revitalization. 

Nichols to Adams - TD!  Now wouldn't that sound nice?

IMHO, the Bombers can win if we get a decent performance on offence, and a great performance on D.  We need a couple of sacks, and a few turnovers.  The Esk's are a bit nervous and their confidence has to be shaken.   It's up to our whole team, not just the QB, to perform better and take advantage of the opportunity.

The bombers need to stop wasting seasons on QBs that have proven they can't win...

TO let Harris go because he didn't look like a world beater at the end of the season... Bombers re-upped Nichols because he stepped in and went 2-7.

Why are we supposed to expect different results this year?  I mean Brohm was awful, so we re-upped and then he was awful the next season...

Develop a fkn QB already.

8 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The bombers need to stop wasting seasons on QBs that have proven they can't win...

TO let Harris go because he didn't look like a world beater at the end of the season... Bombers re-upped Nichols because he stepped in and went 2-7.

Why are we supposed to expect different results this year?  I mean Brohm was awful, so we re-upped and then he was awful the next season...

Develop a fkn QB already.

You can't develop qbs in an unstable environment. Let's look at the teams that have been developing qbs lately. #1 is Toronto. You got a well established starter in Ray and a good offensive coaching staff featuring a couple former qbs. Who else has developed qbs? Wally Buono who has been doing that for years.... Certainly not anyone else with any kind of consistency. I mean 5 of the 9 starting qbs were either from Toronto or Buono. 

Good observation. Additionally, I've been impressed of what Calgary has done at QB. They used Glenn as a stop gap, but they have seemed to do well with the qb's they have developed. BLM and Tate could probably play for any CFL team. We have Davis, from them. Re: Buono and T.O., 5 of 9 from a common denominator I'd say is significant. 

and it holds true whether you use Burris or Harris as the starter in Ottawa. 

Upon reflection however, I guess it's really not right to include Ricky Ray since he was developed by Edmonton. Still though, the bulk of qbs are coming from only a couple places. 

Edited by 17to85

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

You can't develop qbs in an unstable environment. Let's look at the teams that have been developing qbs lately. #1 is Toronto. You got a well established starter in Ray and a good offensive coaching staff featuring a couple former qbs. Who else has developed qbs? Wally Buono who has been doing that for years.... Certainly not anyone else with any kind of consistency. I mean 5 of the 9 starting qbs were either from Toronto or Buono. 

I agree to an extent...

But TO and BC are hardly stable in terms of personnel...  I would say they are stable in terms of scouting and head coach...

TO has completely changed their OL and their receiving core while still pumping out QBs...  BC is still kind of a mess with OL and REC 

The big question mark now is Montreal...  if Popp 'develops' a QB in one season, which looks to be his goal, then that makes the bombers organization look pretty bad

Just don't understand how Goveia ends up here and all we grab from TO is Portis and Adams...  how did he miss Gale?

Danny Mac recommends trading for Brohm?  Why not Masoli or Matthews?

Edited by Floyd

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I agree to an extent...

But TO and BC are hardly stable in terms of personnel...  I would say they are stable in terms of scouting and head coach...

TO has completely changed their OL and their receiving core while still pumping out QBs...  BC is still kind of a mess with OL and REC 

The big question mark now is Montreal...  if Popp 'develops' a QB in one season, which looks to be his goal, then that makes the bombers organization look pretty bad

Just don't understand how Goveia ends up here and all we grab from TO is Portis and Adams...  how did he miss Gale?

Danny Mac recommends trading for Brohm?  Why not Masoli or Matthews?

but that's what I mean when I say stable. The CFL has a high player turnover rate, it just does, but it's the stability in the management and coaching staff that lets teams develop qbs. Toronto and BC have had that stability in the management and they are finding qbs as a result. Calgary has been stable in that aspect as well and lo and behold they have no trouble at the position either. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

but that's what I mean when I say stable. The CFL has a high player turnover rate, it just does, but it's the stability in the management and coaching staff that lets teams develop qbs. Toronto and BC have had that stability in the management and they are finding qbs as a result. Calgary has been stable in that aspect as well and lo and behold they have no trouble at the position either. 

soo true. If you look at the best teams over long periods of time the key to their success is that they can turn over players and maintain a high level of play. Montreal and those defenders and wrs, calgary and the wrs and rbs etc.

When you having a strong winning system its dramatically easier to take one player and get them to fit into a role and fill a hole.

I mean just look at what happened when Berry was fired and Kelly came in, he got rid of all the qbs and ran through a good half a dozen at least in that one year. Then Mack comes in and it's all new qbs, but when things went sideways and Lapo was fired we ran through more qbs based on what the new coach wanted. Then Walters comes in and it's all new qbs again. You can't develop anyone when you throw the whole thing out every couple years. 

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I mean just look at what happened when Berry was fired and Kelly came in, he got rid of all the qbs and ran through a good half a dozen at least in that one year. Then Mack comes in and it's all new qbs, but when things went sideways and Lapo was fired we ran through more qbs based on what the new coach wanted. Then Walters comes in and it's all new qbs again. You can't develop anyone when you throw the whole thing out every couple years. 

Either that or none of them were worth developing, which is likely the case considering Kevin Glenn was the only QB we let go who went on to any CFL success.

26 minutes ago, do or die said:

Not a question of how many QBs we have gone through......but one of simply finding some that can stick around and play...

We had two decent QBs in Marve and Elliott that needed a lot of help...  instead it feels like we took their run and gun style and tried to change it into pocket passing dink-n-dunkers.

Similar to what Montreal is doing to Cato and even Bridge right now...  At least, Wally recognizes Jennings for what he is.

I guess we can't really recognize Toronto for 'developing' Gale since they dumped him and went with McPherson...

Very simple equation in the end - Bomber's don't spend enough on scouting...  the end.

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

We had two decent QBs in Marve and Elliott that needed a lot of help...  instead it feels like we took their run and gun style and tried to change it into pocket passing dink-n-dunkers.

Similar to what Montreal is doing to Cato and even Bridge right now...  At least, Wally recognizes Jennings for what he is.

I guess we can't really recognize Toronto for 'developing' Gale since they dumped him and went with McPherson...

Very simple equation in the end - Bomber's don't spend enough on scouting...  the end.

No one ruined or changed marve. He had had 2-3 knee surgeries and then re injured it again. They didnt try and turn marve into a pocket passer at all. mos even talked about how he can make things happen with his legs before several games. He showed flashes in very limited action and then the more he played and as teams had an idea of his style they evaporated. 

Elliot wasnt this regime of scouts or gm pres etc. 

Often young mobile qbs breaking into the league resort to runs as its effective and the same as down south. They down have to adapt a lot to running, the bigger field and smaller defenders makes it easier. But as they get used to playing and are more comfortable they go back to passing more. You cant change a pro qb very much. When they get here they have had 3-4 years of starting and being the man in the ncaa at a high level. Plus 2-4 years of starting and being the man in HS which for many of them was huge in terms of pressure and development as well. You can almost never change a qb at the pro level. Their mechanics are what they are, and their mentality as well. Plus teams dont recruit running qbs who have far more raw passing skill and turn them into pocket passers. If you want a pocket passer, you recruit a pocket passer whose dramatically better at that skill set. On top of all that, no one really gives running qbs a big look up here currently. And no one brings up x/y/z pro set pure pocket passers either. Most all of the starters and back ups have a very similar skill set in the cfl. Mobile, able to roll evade some pressure and pick up some yards but passers.