Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

4 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

In fairness to Walters, he seems he delivered this time on his end of the bargain...

(1) He vastly improved our Canadian content and depth 

(2) He has CFL rookie international players who shows they can play in this league

(3) He brought a capable backup QB - who seems to be the starter going forward 

4) Oline has progressed and is showing signs of improvement

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

4) Oline has progressed and is showing signs of improvement

That's not on Walters though.. that's for the coaches. Hes contribution on that part is what I said in point in 1 (Goossen, Chungh & Couture) and 2 (Bond & Hardrick - although he's not a CFL rookie) 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

9 hours ago, bb1 said:

Yea you wouldn't want a GM that has actually won some Grey cups?

Yeah the only player that won those Grey cups ?

OK...AC retired and many of the rest of the were the same.  How did that work out?      

AC was the straw that stirred that drink.  Sure he had good pieces on the team but AC made them all better  Without him they couldn't produce the same success.     

10 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

OK...AC retired and many of the rest of the were the same.  How did that work out?      

AC was the straw that stirred that drink.  Sure he had good pieces on the team but AC made them all better  Without him they couldn't produce the same success.     

yes, Popp has had a successful career in MTL, but during times of struggle he has not really shown he can right the ship. So if he leaves to go to another franchise that needs to be straightened out, I'm not sure how anyone at this point can say he would be the man for the job. Considering both the on field product and constant reports of poor SMS management.

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Considering they lost yeah. And there isnt really a precedent for a punishment on this. If some one won a very close game  I think it should be much harsher. 

If they had won, they should've had to have forfeited the game. Dead serious.

11 hours ago, bb1 said:

If Popp was ever cut lose in by the Als I would take him here in a second ,albeit as GM only cause as a coach he sucks.?

I agree with the others.  NO THANKS!  That guy fires coaches before they even get started.  And that one coach he hired before Higgins from the US, that was a disaster.  Popp seems too unstable when things aren't going right for him.  The guy then assigns himself as HC, and look how well he's doing.  I don't want Popp coming here and then ending up with him as HC because he doesn't have patience.  He would have fired Dave Ritchie after his first season here.

46152401.jpg

Edited by Logan007

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think I'd have to agree with you on that... that would be a harsh punishment... but the ratio is so vital to the game it's hard to give them a pass...

When people complain about our Cdn depth think about the home game against Calgary... after injuries we had Couture, Chungh, Goossen, and Thomas (a d-lineman) playing OL, Harris at RB, Kohlert at WR, Cummings and Westerman on DL and Jones, Morgan and Loffler in the secondary... and we didn't look out of place.... not saying I want to start 11 Nationals.... but we showed we can play that many in a pinch... 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I don't understand how it could happen in the first place. The refs should have thrown a flag on the first play when the ratio wasn't right and continued to throw one every time they did it. The refs just need to do their jobs.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Popp is an idiot who has hidden his ineptitude behind the legacy of Anthony Calvillo.

People seem to hang on to the memory of what Popp did a decade ago and not pay attention to what he's done in the last five years.  When it comes to head-scratching decisions, Montreal leads the league by a mile.

Can you imagine the outcry here if we had traded a first round pick for Vernon Adams?

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't understand how it could happen in the first place. The refs should have thrown a flag on the first play when the ratio wasn't right and continued to throw one every time they did it. The refs just need to do their jobs.

I can entirely understand how it can happen. DI goes in when he's not supposed to, doesn't check in with the substitution judge, goes unnoticed and it continues to happen.

Apparently Chris Jones did this a lot in Edmonton too and just never got busted for it.

Just now, Mike said:

I can entirely understand how it can happen. DI goes in when he's not supposed to, doesn't check in with the substitution judge, goes unnoticed and it continues to happen.

Apparently Chris Jones did this a lot in Edmonton too and just never got busted for it.

What a horrible system. It puts the onus entirely on the teams to regulate themselves.

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

My understanding is that is monitored by a sideline official from the CFL, not the actual refs.  They have enough trouble figuring out what pass interference is.

We'd have to put red maple leafs on the jerseys for them to have a shot at keeping track.  And then Canadinns gets all that promotion that they didn't pay for, so Winnipeg Moving gets upset...

2 minutes ago, mbrg said:

My understanding is that is monitored by a sideline official from the CFL, not the actual refs.  They have enough trouble figuring out what pass interference is.

We'd have to put red maple leafs on the jerseys for them to have a shot at keeping track.  And then Canadinns gets all that promotion that they didn't pay for, so Winnipeg Moving gets upset...

I've heard this idea a couple times and it's not a bad one at all.

1 minute ago, mbrg said:

They could just throw in a "Winnipeg Moving the chains"  (type jingle) after every first down... Everyone's happy and there's a few more dollars in the pot.

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

What a horrible system. It puts the onus entirely on the teams to regulate themselves.

Is there really a better system? I mean really, it's kind of a difficult task. I'm all over the refs as much as anyone, but it can't be easy to monitor that.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Bottom line, it's outright cheating a basic league rule.  $15,000 isn't enough.  Money isn't enough unless it's absurd like $1 million.  Punish them with roster spots.  Knock them down 2 DI's and make them play with extra Canadians.

Colour me shocked that Chris Jones would attempt to circumvent a rule.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

There is no excuse to not have the correct amount of Canadian's playing. I think the fine is hefty enough if it was a few plays. If it was more than a few plays and the team won the game, I agree they should forfeit the win. Rules are rules. I agree with you but then again I'd like to know more about the storey. I am not making excuses for Jones, he is not a rookie and is being paid more than enough money to f'n know the rules 

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

There is no excuse to not have the correct amount of Canadian's playing. I think the fine is hefty enough if it was a few plays. If it was more than a few plays and the team won the game, I agree they should forfeit the win. Rules are rules. I agree with you but then again I'd like to know more about the storey. I am not making excuses for Jones, he is not a rookie and is being paid more than enough money to f'n know the rules 

It's also a bad look on the Riders in general. For a team that brands itself as "Canada's team"* it doesn't reflect well on them to not employ the correct number of Canadians.

*Maybe it's just Rod Pedersen, but he's an employee so that counts.

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I get it but he has been doings this even in his Eskimos days. He gets caught and plays innocent I bet he knew what he was doing all along. 

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

It's also a bad look on the Riders in general. For a team that brands itself as "Canada's team"* it doesn't reflect well on them to not employ the correct number of Canadians.

*Maybe it's just Rod Pedersen, but he's an employee so that counts.

It looks bad on any team, the Canada's team thing is a media hype thing. I think lots of people don't like Jones so this is just another thing to jump on him about. I've also never heard of a team getting a fine this large. I wish the commissioner had some balls when it came to qb's getting hurt with illegal hits. I would like to know more about this, when?, how many plays?

3 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I get it but he has been doings this even in his Eskimos days. He gets caught and plays innocent I bet he knew what he was doing all along. 

If what you are saying is true then I agree with the fine. I've heard rumors about it but nothing concrete