Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

14 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I get irritated when I'm watching all these interviews with different guests on TSN, and they keep breaking away to show snippets of a football game. What's up with that?

To make things worse, they always assign Rod Black to do games like the Ben Cahoon retirement because that's all he'll talk about. Like Friday night, Not only did we hear how great a player Cahoon was before his retirement ceremony but how great a player during & after. It never stopped. Cahoon was a great receiver but he's not a Deity or Superman. So, by the time the game was over, it was enough to make viewers puke.

These interviews and player homages are fine in context if they're done professionally and kept short. Unfortunately, on TSN, they are not. You can never rely on a good interview 'live', during a game. It just doesn't work. Therefore, you're actually doing a disservice to the player/honouree, and you're pissing off viewers. 

I want to watch the game. I don't mind the detours for sideline information, but as much as I enjoyed the players when they played, say hello and a short little pat on the back and move on. 

Maybe I'm wrong about this topic, but I just can't see the value of trying to mix the sport with those lame interviews...

TSN has a problem where they think the game on it's own isn't enough of a selling point so they have to add in all the extra crap. It's nonsense. let the game sell itself, a good example would be the Saturday night game between Calgary and BC, that game was exciting from the get go and the finish can not be beat. I am glad I was in the stadium for it rather than having to listen to TSN try and push a bunch of un-needed hype. 

Riders try to grab Stampeders’ OL off practice roster

As per Justin Dunk:

http://3downnation.com/2016/07/30/riders/

Posted on July 30, 2016 by Justin Dunk // 1 Comment

Saskatchewan tried to nab Canadian offensive lineman Roman Grozman from Calgary’s practice roster this past week, per CFL sources.

The Riders have had a spate of injuries occur among their offensive line group. Those setbacks have landed Chris Best, Brendon LaBatte, Dan Clark, Matt Vonk, Dillon Guy and Xavier Fulton on the six-game injured list. Five of those blockers carry a Canadian passport, which has made national offensive line depth very thin in Riderville.

That led to the Riders trying to take Grozman from the Stampeders, but the six-foot-four, 319-pounder declined.

“They could have drafted him. They’re trying to build a team by scooping up other teams’ developmental players,” a CFL source says.

There are two ways a team can protect a practice roster player. The first is activating him for at least two games. The second would be for the player to decline going to the team who tries to claim them, which is what Grozman did.

Back in June, the Riders added two Canadians who declined practice roster spots with the B.C. Lions.

And No. 1 overall pick, Josiah St. John went down in Saskatchewan’s 41-3 loss to Montreal on Friday.

Another player who doesn't want to play in Saskatchewan. Love it. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

5 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Als release QB Brandon Bridge

very interesting. Id bring him in for a look, if for no other reason then he's a high up side guy with a different tool set then we have. All our qbs are clones skill set wise. Same height weight range, above average athlete, accurate short to medium passer struggle with the deep ball, average ish arm strength etc.

2 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

As per Justin Dunk:

http://3downnation.com/2016/07/30/riders/

Posted on July 30, 2016 by Justin Dunk // 1 Comment

Saskatchewan tried to nab Canadian offensive lineman Roman Grozman from Calgary’s practice roster this past week, per CFL sources.

The Riders have had a spate of injuries occur among their offensive line group. Those setbacks have landed Chris Best, Brendon LaBatte, Dan Clark, Matt Vonk, Dillon Guy and Xavier Fulton on the six-game injured list. Five of those blockers carry a Canadian passport, which has made national offensive line depth very thin in Riderville.

That led to the Riders trying to take Grozman from the Stampeders, but the six-foot-four, 319-pounder declined.

“They could have drafted him. They’re trying to build a team by scooping up other teams’ developmental players,” a CFL source says.

There are two ways a team can protect a practice roster player. The first is activating him for at least two games. The second would be for the player to decline going to the team who tries to claim them, which is what Grozman did.

Back in June, the Riders added two Canadians who declined practice roster spots with the B.C. Lions.

And No. 1 overall pick, Josiah St. John went down in Saskatchewan’s 41-3 loss to Montreal on Friday.

Another player who doesn't want to play in Saskatchewan. Love it. 

Dang thats cold as ice. Idk poaching PR players has allways been taboo, but its also been some thing that happens every now and then. I remember dave ritche grabbing PR guys before big games to try n get insider info out of em.

Tbh id rather see PR players be protected but have the option to leave to another cfl team. When it happens it just tends to foster ill will in the small league. 

Personally id take the chance to start and play over riding the pine on the PR any day. 

35 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Popp shopping Vaugn Martin. Wow.

1st this week, it was QB Brandon Bridge...asked to take a salary cut, now the high priced? Vaughn Martin.

Popp started the year trying to fit his team's 500 hundred pound roster salary into a 400 pound SMS suit. But it wasn't the end for Popp. He wanted everybody he couldn't afford, and he's been literally paying for it ever since. 

Roster salary-related slashes and the asking of Wal-Mart type rollbacks of salaries alienated a lot of players, but he can't stop. Obviously, the Alouettes are still over the cap. 

I think he should have hired Jones as his HC/roster manager. ✂️

15 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

1st this week, it was QB Brandon Bridge...asked to take a salary cut, now the high priced? Vaughn Martin.

Popp started the year trying to fit his team's 500 hundred pound roster salary into a 400 pound SMS suit. But it wasn't the end for Popp. He wanted everybody he couldn't afford, and he's been literally paying for it ever since. 

Roster salary-related slashes and the asking of Wal-Mart type rollbacks of salaries alienated a lot of players, but he can't stop. Obviously, the Alouettes are still over the cap. 

I think he should have hired Jones as his HC/roster manager. ✂️

Hes just postponing the inevitable. I could see some serious slash and burn + air lifts once nfl cuts start.

9 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

These interviews and player homages are fine in context if they're done professionally and kept short. Unfortunately, on TSN, they are not. You can never rely on a good interview 'live', during a game. It just doesn't work. Therefore, you're actually doing a disservice to the player/honouree, and you're pissing off viewers. 

I want to watch the game. I don't mind the detours for sideline information, but as much as I enjoyed the players when they played, say hello and a short little pat on the back and move on. 

Maybe I'm wrong about this topic, but I just can't see the value of trying to mix the sport with those lame interviews...

Especially when the announcers just pour it on. Like Cahoon can walk on water.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

very interesting. Id bring him in for a look, if for no other reason then he's a high up side guy with a different tool set then we have. All our qbs are clones skill set wise. Same height weight range, above average athlete, accurate short to medium passer struggle with the deep ball, average ish arm strength etc.

Dang thats cold as ice. Idk poaching PR players has allways been taboo, but its also been some thing that happens every now and then. I remember dave ritche grabbing PR guys before big games to try n get insider info out of em.

Tbh id rather see PR players be protected but have the option to leave to another cfl team. When it happens it just tends to foster ill will in the small league. 

Personally id take the chance to start and play over riding the pine on the PR any day. 

This I would seriously wonder about any player that doesn't jump at playing.Unless Calgary promised him something? And the pay difference is huge doesn't make sense.Even if it is Saskabush?

16 minutes ago, bb1 said:

This I would seriously wonder about any player that doesn't jump at playing.Unless Calgary promised him something? And the pay difference is huge doesn't make sense.Even if it is Saskabush?

yeah scouts to coaches to fellow players the biggest attribute people look for in a pro athlete is desire. To play, and to win. You cant teach it, fix it, remove it or replace it. Its the big reason i was never really keen on jason maas.