Random News Items

Rich

17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

No. That's all I remember lol

i don't like "bailouts" but this is going to break the backs of Manitoban's. NDP took a lot of money out of Hydro. Someone hasn't to put it back in. Should be the government. 

Whether the money comes from the government or through rate increases it's coming out of our pockets one way or another.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I don't typically read the Sun and for good reason.

Yes, why investigate a problem before making a knee-jerk reaction?!

Yes, it was an election commitment to stop BPIII but so was responsible government. Gov'ts should be applauded when they don't make draconian, dogmatic changes before doing their own analysis. We deal with enough of that (and the fallout) each day.

Edited by JCon

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't typically read the Sun and for good reason.

Yes, why investigate a problem before making a knee-jerk reaction?!

Yes, it was an election commitment to stop BPIII but so was responsible government. Gov'ts should be applauded when they don't make draconian, dogmatic changes before doing they're own analysis. We deal with enough of that (and the fallout) each day.

That was a really weird editorial to run in the Sun.  Blaming Pallister for not bailing out Hydro.  Sure, thats a position to take.  But there is only one reason the Premier is in the position to bail them out in the first place.

39 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

"Two local men, aged 28 and 39, will face yet-to-be-determined charges.

McEachern said it is illegal to tow a couch through a drive-thru, but the two men were wearing helmets.

“So obviously safety was somewhat important,” noted McEachern."

LOL

unions are going to have to accept it's a different world now. PC government and cash strapped city. 

The police and firefighters have been receiving large increases year over year. It's ridiculous.  

On a side note, my union just agreed on a new contract with increases of 1.5, 2 & 2. These 3+ per year increases would be nice 

16 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

interesting case 

Very interesting. Very creepy and gross but technically it isn't real so not a crime (not yet anyways).  As the article states it could actually be a benefit for potential pedofiles.  Get the doll and stay away from the kids.  Assuming it doesn't feed the urges even more and leads to someone going out and finding the real thing.

You can buy those inflatable sheep as a joke but I'll wager they've been "used"  in more than a few instances and no one is claiming it's bestiality.  I know it's a silly example but kinda relevant, technically.  And also gross. :wacko:

Here's a good summation of the report into the police shooting on Kenaston awhile back

http://blackrod.blogspot.ca/

I initially sided with Police.  But its true, they didnt have to shoot the guy.  I've said this in other police shooting threads, there is too little "heroism" these days and by that I mean, police officers taking risks to end incidents rather then simply stand behind their cars and fire shotgun blasts at disturbed civilians. 

Remember that incident at Portage & Main a couple years ago?  There is video showing a WPS officer running 50 feet (or so, I dont recall) and tackling the suspect.  That's an heroic end to a standoff involving a disturbed person.

This idea that half the force needed to engage in this pursuit...it just seemed like mob mentality where all the cowboys want to be in on breaking the stallion.  Interesting that the on-site supervisor had to go around demanding officers be quiet because too many were yelling instructions.  Sirens were blaring.  When Im confused while driving, I need to turn the radio down to concentrate....this guy had an army of cops pointing weapons and screaming at him while sirens blared.

The police knew his weapon didnt have a magazine attached.  It turned out to not be gun at all.

I dont know what the answer is.  But anyone who has had any issues with police and dealt with PSU (Internal Affairs) and/or LERA know that the system is all designed to protect the police and the cops and lawyers are in on the fix.

3 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

Very interesting. Very creepy and gross but technically it isn't real so not a crime (not yet anyways).  As the article states it could actually be a benefit for potential pedofiles.  Get the doll and stay away from the kids.  Assuming it doesn't feed the urges even more and leads to someone going out and finding the real thing.

You can buy those inflatable sheep as a joke but I'll wager they've been "used"  in more than a few instances and no one is claiming it's bestiality.  I know it's a silly example but kinda relevant, technically.  And also gross. :wacko:

Yeah to me the obvious thing here is a complete waste of taxpayers money because someone got creeped out.  Sorry, no crime here.

And on the subject of Pedophiles, which most people incorrectly attribute to all adults who are attracted to those under 18, including a 17 year old who turns 18 the next day, I watched an interesting episode of Dr Phil about this.  in fact his guest was one of the guys mentioned in the above article.  The guest admitted to being attracted to girls under 10 (so a defined Pedo) but that he would never act on it (there was some accusations that he, in fact, DID act on it). 

His perspective was that people are born that way, just like you are born straight or born gay or born whatever and that they need treatment and counselling to help them control their urges, but that anyone who feels that way would hide it for reasons this story illustrates - an arrest of a guy who committed no crime other then being born with an affliction that makes him attracted to children...and no evidence he ever acted on it.

Its a tough one.

On 2017-02-10 at 5:18 PM, tacklewasher said:

"Two local men, aged 28 and 39, will face yet-to-be-determined charges.

McEachern said it is illegal to tow a couch through a drive-thru, but the two men were wearing helmets.

“So obviously safety was somewhat important,” noted McEachern."

LOL

great story, sounds very east coast -like to me.   get them a CFL team now !

Saw a news report a few years ago, a drunk driver pulled over by the police, when asked for his id, handed them a Macdonald's cheeseburger.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Here's a good summation of the report into the police shooting on Kenaston awhile back

http://blackrod.blogspot.ca/

I initially sided with Police.  But its true, they didnt have to shoot the guy.  I've said this in other police shooting threads, there is too little "heroism" these days and by that I mean, police officers taking risks to end incidents rather then simply stand behind their cars and fire shotgun blasts at disturbed civilians. 

I was across the street when all the action went down....  the guy definitely deserved his fate.   It was almost like real life Grand Theft Auto...  lots of innocent people were lucky to not get hurt or killed.   Had the guy had a real gun and sprayed his bullets around he could of easily hit around 100 people. 

I was amazed that he didn't run over any pedestrians since people were jumping out of the way and nearly getting trampled by his car.  

It's easy to say not to shoot a guy after the facts are in... in the moment when a guy is waving an uzi and nearly killing pedestrians and leading a huge police chase... kind of hard to analyze everything when you only have a split second to make a move.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I read that this morning. This is troubling and disappointing. I love the development downtown but hope it's sustainable.

This one should be okay in the end. SkyCity on the other hand....