Random News Items

Rich

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats a great deal.  And the woman in the pic looks so excited!

I think I went to CoOp once.  But ive been a regular at Save on Foods since it opened...

Also its Scratch n Save day so minimum 10% as well.

Also of note, COOP brand pizza is $3.90

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-toughens-rules-for-operating-recreational-drones/article34318007/

As someone who wants to get a drone, these rules sound ridiculous:

Under the new rules, recreational drone operators must stay far away from controlled or restricted airspace, forest fires and first-responder emergency operation sites.

They also cannot fly higher than 90 metres; fly within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles or people; or fly within nine kilometres of any airport, heliport, seaplane base or airstrip where aircraft take off and land.

**So basically, you can find an open field, but make sure no one else is in the field and fly your drone in circles.  Under these rules, I couldnt even fly a drone in my backyard.

I hate when the government over-reacts and makes goofy rules to punish 98% of people when its 2% that screw up. 

On 14/03/2017 at 11:00 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

watch the video. I know many will say he got what he deserved.  Broken tail light. Failure to comply. Shot dead. Police washed his van though. 

You left out quite of bit of information there. Like there was an outstanding warrant on the minivan, that he put gas on a rag and then lit a cigarette (which was why they used the hose), that the police tried non-lethal tactics and that he had a knife (which is when the lethal shot was fired). I'm not saying he got what he deserved but he wasn't some innocent guy shot over a broken tail light. 

Edited by Jacquie

On 16/03/2017 at 0:08 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-toughens-rules-for-operating-recreational-drones/article34318007/

As someone who wants to get a drone, these rules sound ridiculous:

Under the new rules, recreational drone operators must stay far away from controlled or restricted airspace, forest fires and first-responder emergency operation sites.

They also cannot fly higher than 90 metres; fly within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles or people; or fly within nine kilometres of any airport, heliport, seaplane base or airstrip where aircraft take off and land.

**So basically, you can find an open field, but make sure no one else is in the field and fly your drone in circles.  Under these rules, I couldnt even fly a drone in my backyard.

I hate when the government over-reacts and makes goofy rules to punish 98% of people when its 2% that screw up. 

Given the number of close calls between drones and aircraft, I don't see how anyone could object to rules limiting their use. I also don't have a problem with them being kept away from buildings, vehicles or people - that's just a spying. 

8 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Given the number of close calls between drones and aircraft, I don't see how anyone could object to rules limiting their use. I also don't have a problem with them being kept away from buildings, vehicles or people - that's just a spying. 

There is a big difference between limiting their interference with aircraft and making them almost worthless.

If I drive down your street, is that spying?  If I stand on my front lawn and film everything around me, is that spying?

This is one of these "laws" that simply overkills the subject.  Even if the article it refers to close calls with aircraft and things like interfering with water bombing of forest fires...well, ok, disallowing those things is a rather common sense approach.  Blanket restricting them isnt.

Seems more like something aimed at creating a market for licensed drones.  And Im sure the feds will be happy to sell the lincesnes.

They acknowledge the over-reach by suggesting police should use discretion at enforcement.  If thats the case, create better laws.  Effectively, Im subject to a $3000 fine if I use my drone in my backyard.

If I take it to a large open field and someone should drive by, Im subject to a fine.  That's silly.

And there goes my plans to fly over a Bombers game ;-)

32 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

You left out quite of bit of information there. Like there was an outstanding warrant on the minivan, that he put gas on a rag and then lit a cigarette (which was why they used the hose), that the police tried non-lethal tactics and that he had a knife (which is when the lethal shot was fired). I'm not saying he got what he deserved but he wasn't some innocent guy shot over a broken tail light. 

My reply got deleted before I could submit.  But I didnt leave out anything.  I posted the entire tweet with the link and invited you to watch. 

Rather then re-type everything else I wrote, Ill say this - the cops used a fire hose to get the suspect to vacate the van.  Which he did.  Then they did very little to apprehend him.  ONE cop tried.  20 cops stood around with guns, knight sticks and a fire hose.  If anyone else had attempted to apprehend him, he'd be apprehended. 

Knife?  Well, he appears to have something in his hand that doesnt appear to have a blade extending from it.  He also makes no attempt to stab the one cop trying to restrain him.  The suspect responds to the rubber bullets by exclaiming about being shot at.  He was ripe for an easy take down.  But its easier to shoot.

The incident began around 11:15 p.m. when police attempted to pull the man's minivan over for a broken taillight and a warrant associated with the license plate number, according to a statement from Orange Police Department. The suspect did not yield right away but eventually pulled into a parking lot in the 100 block of West Katella Avenue, officers said.

Perez was barricaded in his vehicle for about half an hour, and authorities grew concerned when he produced a lighter and gas container they thought could be flammable, Lopez said.

The Orange Fire Department soon arrived on scene with a fire hose to assist police in extracting the man from his car.

“The officers could smell the gasoline and became concerned when he lit a cigarette,” Lopez said. “We thought it could be combustible, so they felt that a plan needed to be put into place to save his life.”

He was flushed out after several attempts, and many of the van’s windows were broken.

“What we do know is that at one point when he’s out of the vehicle he reaches behind his back and he does produce a knife — what we now know to be a knife — and an officer-involved shooting ensued shortly after,” he told KTLA.

Police said Perez had an "extensive criminal history" that included weapons violations and narcotics.

http://ktla.com/2017/03/13/orange-police-shoot-man-suspected-of-traffic-violation-after-using-fire-hoses-to-force-him-from-van/

The report by the US news website that was linked in the tweet you posted said 2 knives were recovered on the scene.

Edited by Jacquie

16 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

http://ktla.com/2017/03/13/orange-police-shoot-man-suspected-of-traffic-violation-after-using-fire-hoses-to-force-him-from-van/

The report by the US news website that was linked in the tweet you posted said 2 knives were recovered on the scene.

Did they say he was trying to stab the police?  Because it didnt look like it in the video

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Did they say he was trying to stab the police?  Because it didnt look like it in the video

From the video:

cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

The sequence was one police officer tried to restrain him then the guy pulled the knife. Does that look like he planned on going peacefully?

Edited by Jacquie

1 minute ago, Jacquie said:

From the video:

cap2.jpg

Knife in hand. Does that look like he was going to be peaceful.

I see his hand.  And he looks to be in a compliant gesture.  From that photo.  From the video, he looks to be someone who doesnt want to comply and doesnt understand what all the craziness is about.  Like many people with mental health issues.  But we should shoot those people.

Is that a knife in the pic?  Honestly, I see his flat hand.  In the video I see what looks like perhaps a jack knife in his hand that is folded.  he's certainly not making any stabbing or slashing gestures or standing in a challenging stance.

But the point is that there was an opportunity to apprehend without killing him.  That should always be the objective.  I think police can succumb to mob mentality too.  I mean really, ONE cop out of ALL those cops intercepted the guy as he got out and tried to physically apprehend him.  Not ONE other cop helped.  They had NO plan for removing this guy from the van.  it was just fire a hose at him and see what happens.

I updated my previous post that shows him pulling the knife as well as having it in his hand. The one police officer grabbed him and was pushing him towards the others when the guy started to fall and pulled the knife. At that point the police backed off. The videos I've seen stop at that point so it doesn't show what he did with it just before he was shot.

Where did it say that he had mental health issues? Are you referring to his widow saying after the fact that he was a meth addict?

Edited by Jacquie

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

I updated my previous post that shows him pulling the knife as well as having it in his hand. The one police officer grabbed him and was pushing him towards the others when the guy started to fall and pulled the knife. At that point the police backed off. The videos I've seen stop at that point so it doesn't show what he did with it just before he was shot.

Where did it say that he had mental health issues? Are you referring to his widow saying after the fact that he was a meth addict?

I didn't say he had a mental health issue just that he could and the police don't always know that at the time. 

If the argument is he should have been shot I disagree. He was caught. But only one officer seemed in on the plan to apprehend him when he left he vehicle (which was the cops' intended outcome). 

Whomever was in charge at the scene clearly failed to have a plan or to convey that plan clearly. 

I watched police in Winnipeg apprehend a guy with a knife. No one was shot or killed.  

I know police have a tough job and hindsight always feels like chicken **** but it's necessary to learn from it. Not the desired outcome here.