Random News Items

Rich

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't disagree with your point but really what will the repercussions be if they do tax digital goods?   People are still going to Netflix and chill won't they?

I guess the Liberals plan is to get all their idiotic, unpopular ideas and behavior out of the way asap and then by the next election voters will have forgotten (but they will vote for Bernier anyway).

Reading the article Im actually not 100% opposed.  Its just adding sales tax to the service much like we pay on our cable bill already.  The original idea to levy Netflix was discarded.  Either way, its still tax.  But Netflix does provide a service so logically, we should pay GST on it.

nothing to worry about here. 

A test firing of an unarmed British nuclear Trident missile from a submarine malfunctioned last June, the Sunday Times reported, prompting questions about why Prime Minister Theresa May did not tell parliament ahead of a vote on renewing the submarines.

The paper quoted an unnamed senior naval source as saying the missile may have veered off in the wrong direction towards the American mainland when it was fired off the coast of Florida.

which is worse, that it veered off in the wrong direction, or that they say they didn't know what happened?

Edited by Mark F

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/russia-set-to-move-closer-to-decriminalize-domestic-violence-1.3251960

MOSCOW -- In Russia, giving one's spouse a slap is nothing extraordinary for many people. This week, the Russian parliament is expected to take a step closer toward decriminalizing it altogether.

Battery is a criminal offence in Russia, but nearly 20 per cent of Russians openly say they think it is sometimes OK to hit a spouse or a child. In a bid to accommodate conservative voters, deputies in the lower house of parliament have given initial approval to a bill eliminating criminal liability for domestic violence that stops short of serious bodily harm or rape.

Laws aside, de facto violence against women and children is a world wide problem. especially horrendous is India/Pakistan.

There's no shortage of people in Canada that think it's ok for an adult to beat a child as a teaching method. Bet it's easily twenty percent of the population.

17 hours ago, Mark F said:

Laws aside, de facto violence against women and children is a world wide problem. especially horrendous is India/Pakistan.

There's no shortage of people in Canada that think it's ok for an adult to beat a child as a teaching method. Bet it's easily twenty percent of the population.

"beat a child"?  20%?  I doubt it.  If "spank" falls into the definition of beating a child, maybe but there is a difference. I dont condone using corporal punishment at all but there's a difference.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/mpi-rates-report-1.3954531

Manitoba Public Insurance has reported a $3.6-million net loss for the first nine months of its fiscal year.

MPI announced in December it will raise insurance rates by 3.7 per cent starting in March.

It's the third time in the last decade that MPI has increased rates.

So here is my question.  MPI is a monopoly.  How much do they spend on advertising and sponsorship???  Why are we paying MORE when they give cash gifts and call it "marketing" for a monopoly?

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/mpi-rates-report-1.3954531

Manitoba Public Insurance has reported a $3.6-million net loss for the first nine months of its fiscal year.

MPI announced in December it will raise insurance rates by 3.7 per cent starting in March.

It's the third time in the last decade that MPI has increased rates.

So here is my question.  MPI is a monopoly.  How much do they spend on advertising and sponsorship???  Why are we paying MORE when they give cash gifts and call it "marketing" for a monopoly?

I would expect this to change with the Conservatives in power.   I believe MPI is already in their cross hairs of crown corporations they are looking into.

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You can expect a major policy change across the Crown Corps.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not sure but they do have traffic tip commercials which i guess are needed. Hydro's ad budget must be 10x tho.

You could make the argument that hydro marketing serves a purpose in educating people to lower their consumption. I guess 

even the LC. They do the same thing MPI does - advertise. You can argue their commercials about not drinking excessively are being responsible. But advertising?? Where else am I going to buy my booze?  And since I can buy beer and wine at private dealers the government is advertising against the interests of private business. 

Government monopolies should not advertise.  I bet they spend more than their losses on marketing. 

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Some local wrestling fans might recognize the name 

Related story:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/iteam/donald-trump-jr-jeff-dyck-tv-appearance-1.3953294

It blew me away that Dyck would keep running schemes so out there in front of the public eye.   

Even the WFX thing was bizarre where they would have up to 20 - 30 wrestlers from out of town yet a crowd of only 100 show up....  it baffled me why he would keep running those shows ?

Edited by Brandon

On 1/27/2017 at 9:48 PM, Brandon said:

It blew me away that Dyck would keep running schemes so out there in front of the public eye.   

Even the WFX thing was bizarre where they would have up to 20 - 30 wrestlers from out of town yet a crowd of only 100 show up....  it baffled me why he would keep running those shows ?

Many of us couldnt believe how brazen he was.  He had been sued before for unofficial ponzi schemes where he'd use investors money on wrestling.  But it was never criminal court.  Which goes to show you can rob and steal Joe Public, but dont screw with the Tax Man. 

Their defense to spending so much on wrestling was that they were trying to get a TV deal and felt they needed a recognizable crew.  It couldnt just be 20 locals and three "big names".  But ofcourse, it never came to fruition.  They had some airings on The Fight Network for, I believe, free or close to it.  And they had a local TV deal in Texas, of call places, which served no usual purpose since they didnt run in Texas.