Random News Items

Rich

Speed traps?  Maybe.  Not checkstops though.  So this year there has been backlash to the usual social media revealing of checkstop locations.  One side says you're helping drunks get away with it.  Other side said you're saving people from unreasonable tickets.  And some think it leads to "drunk" drivers choosing to not drive if Checkstop is in their path.

I think when police appear to be unreasonably fining drivers, it sours everyone on the campaign.  Sure, are all those tickets legal?  Probably.  But I think the example used where police handed out candy canes and wished a Merry Christmas would create a more positive impression of check stop.  If you go through one now, sober, and its a long process where the police are seemingly looking for any reason to write a ticket, then its perception is not in keeping with it's stated purpose.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This is a wonderful example of over-reach and stupidity by the justice system.  They charge him with DUI but find, through their own testing, he is not under the influence of anything illegal.  yet they will continue with the prosecution.  Why?  Because the DA thinks he was on some drug that wasnt on their list.  They cant prove it though.  Talk about malicious prosecution.  I hope he not only wins his case but also sues the DA and wins there too.

There is zero evidence he committed any crime (that he is charged with) but the DA thinks he did it anyway?  Wow.

As for his poor driving, charge him with reckless driving.  The officer witnessed it.  That's the correct charge.  He pays his fine.  Everyone moves on.

30 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

My wife was seconds away from seeing this happen.  Her co-worker did see it as she was a little bit ahead of her in the skywalk, so she warned my wife not to go any further.  Scary stuff.

Reports are an intentional jumper.  Seems like an odd thing to do if the intent is suicide.  No guarantee from only 4 storeys.  Hope the jumper pulls through.

man chopped with Machete in own garage in Niverville Mb, injuries not serious.

http://www.thecarillon.com/local/Man-attacked-with-machete-in-Niverville-409550955.html

I drove through Niverville a couple of months ago, it was closed up at around five pm. except for an icecream vendor.

also a guy was found dead in his home east of Anola after a stand off with police last night. same newspaper.

what's on in East man news

"Dan Thiessen and Kevin Bell from Jake Brakes hosting Open Mic & Jam, Granite House Lounge, Steinbach Curling Club."

also   :wub:

"

WINNIPEG, MB — The latest Chucky movie is shooting scenes in Winnipeg.

Production begins Monday in the east Exchange District.

Scenes will be shot at 177 Lombard Avenue, next door to Bailey’s Restaurant.

The Millennium Centre around the corner on Main Street is also being used.

Chucky is a children’s doll that becomes possessed by a maniac criminal.

The seventh movie in the series, Cult of Chucky stars Jennifer Tilly.

:lol: 

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Nope. This isn't about safety or common sense. It's filling a ticket quota by the city's tax collection army ie WPS

I was wondering how long it would take for you to post the "it's a cash grab" line. It would have been nice if there was a picture of the vehicle before he had cleared it off. The Global articles says there was "a few inches" on the roof while he admitted it was between 7-10 cm (3- 4 inches) in the CBC article. If you take a look at the picture at the CBC website it shows how he can't even be bothered to clear the snow from around his windshield wipers. Of course, if he had just parked it in his double garage he wouldn't have had the problem in the first place.

There are too many lazy people out there who do not clear their car off properly (windshield, hood, roof, license plate) that I have no sympathy if they get a ticket. 

Edited by Jacquie

On 1/7/2017 at 8:52 PM, Jacquie said:

I was wondering how long it would take for you to post the "it's a cash grab" line. It would have been nice if there was a picture of the vehicle before he had cleared it off. The Global articles says there was "a few inches" on the roof while he admitted it was between 7-10 cm (3- 4 inches) in the CBC article. If you take a look at the picture at the CBC website it shows how he can't even be bothered to clear the snow from around his windshield wipers. Of course, if he had just parked it in his double garage he wouldn't have had the problem in the first place.

There are too many lazy people out there who do not clear their car off properly (windshield, hood, roof, license plate) that I have no sympathy if they get a ticket. 

This is a silly perspective.  If you think someone should be legally obligated to wash their car everytime they get into it, fine.  But its silly.  The article states the snow was up to the roof rack.  To me, that's not egregious. 

I believe I posed an article from over the holidays talking about the backlash to checkstop because our City Revenue Collectors were not using it to catch drunk drivers, but to issue tickets for minor infractions they otherwise would rarely, if ever, issue fines for. 

When all evidence points to the WPS being used by City Hall to collect much-needed revenue and NOT for safety/law enforcement, that's a problem.  And we shouldn't accept "well, I guess he should have cleared the snow" to excuse that misuse of police services.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/wise-up-winnipeg-lawsuit-1.3926954

A Winnipeg traffic ticket-fighter says he's making moves to launch a class-action lawsuit by the spring on behalf of all individuals who received tickets based on photo radar evidence.

Todd Dube, founder of ticket-fighting group Wise Up Winnipeg, said he hopes to file a statement of claim by the end of March, arguing photo radar evidence used to support the tickets is hearsay.

"We would make one claim, in that all photo enforcement cases are not supported by proper evidence criteria," Dube said of the potential lawsuit.

"This program should have been challenged in this way years ago."