Random News Items

Rich

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is a silly perspective.  If you think someone should be legally obligated to wash their car everytime they get into it, fine.  But its silly.  The article states the snow was up to the roof rack.  To me, that's not egregious. 

I believe I posed an article from over the holidays talking about the backlash to checkstop because our City Revenue Collectors were not using it to catch drunk drivers, but to issue tickets for minor infractions they otherwise would rarely, if ever, issue fines for. 

When all evidence points to the WPS being used by City Hall to collect much-needed revenue and NOT for safety/law enforcement, that's a problem.  And we shouldn't accept "well, I guess he should have cleared the snow" to excuse that misuse of police services.

Having a dirty car doesn't pose a potential safety hazard to other drivers. I found a picture of the mini-van before he cleared the roof. That snow is well past the roof rack going by the cleared picture in the article you posted.

snow-ticket-van.jpg

Edited by Jacquie

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

Having a dirty car doesn't pose a potential safety hazard to other drivers. I found a picture of the mini-van before he cleared the roof. That snow is well past the roof rack going by the cleared picture in the article you posted.

snow-ticket-van.jpg

This is the biggest reason i'm ok with the ticket.  Driving behind this guy would have been a nightmare.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How do you know that? Presumably the cop wasn't waiting outside his home. Seems he drove perfectly fine. And his car isn't a snow generator so even if some blew off it's not like it's an issue for miles upon miles.  

How do you know that? Were you with him? Maybe there was even more snow on it before it blew off onto someone else's windshield. 

Is there anything that you don't consider a cash grab, TUP? 

2 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

How do you know that? Were you with him? Maybe there was even more snow on it before it blew off onto someone else's windshield. 

Is there anything that you don't consider a cash grab, TUP? 

Dont make silly arguments.  Is there anyone foolish enough to think the city's enforcement is anything but a revenue generator?  When a city unabashedly deploys its police force to collect revenue needed for the city budget, then every instance of that must come under a microscope.

If Winnipeg was a fair ticket-giver, then we wouldnt even be talking about this one instance.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Dont make silly arguments.  Is there anyone foolish enough to think the city's enforcement is anything but a revenue generator?  When a city unabashedly deploys its police force to collect revenue needed for the city budget, then every instance of that must come under a microscope.

If Winnipeg was a fair ticket-giver, then we wouldnt even be talking about this one instance.

Funny how I basically repeated your argument back at you (purposely) and now it's silly. If this was a cash grab don't you think there would have been more than one instance of this happening. I can't recall seeing or hearing about others saying they had the same thing happen to them. Can you not accept that maybe - just maybe - in this one particular instance that the guy deserved the ticket. 

Edited by Jacquie

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

What I don't get is why doesn't the city rake in more money on cell phone tickets? 

Every day I see at least two or three morons texting and calling while driving down Portage.

They only seem to enforce them during their ticketing campaigns.  I recall some police sources speaking out against the photo radar stuff by saying having real police officers enforce the law during regular patrol makes more sense in that it can often lead to uncovering other crimes.

I dont like the cell phone law per se because I think the campaigns are needlessly expensive and sleazy.  Police dont need to be told "between these hours and days you can write tickets and in fact you better write X amount of tickets".  They should enforce laws on general patrol in a reasonable way.

Paying a cop to dress like a hobo at intersections taking money from drivers while looking to see if a guy glancing at his phone can net the city a $300 payday is not the same as pulling over a distracted driver.

On 1/10/2017 at 7:31 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

How do you know that? Presumably the cop wasn't waiting outside his home. Seems he drove perfectly fine. And his car isn't a snow generator so even if some blew off it's not like it's an issue for miles upon miles.  

Excuse for city to collect revenue. Period. 

Yeah?  Ever had a foot-wide chunk of half-frozen snow fly off a van in front of you and explode onto your windshield?  It's not fun.

If people are too lazy to clean the snow off their car (and this is pure laziness), then they deserve a ticket.  Period.

A video of a 12-year-old girl's suicide which she recorded live on her mobile phone has been viewed by millions of people online, prompting calls for action to remove the footage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/katelyn-nicole-davis-12-year-old-kill-herself-suicide-livestream-video-live-viral-cedartown-georgia-a7523666.html?cmpid=facebook-post

20 hours ago, Atomic said:

Yeah?  Ever had a foot-wide chunk of half-frozen snow fly off a van in front of you and explode onto your windshield?  It's not fun.

If people are too lazy to clean the snow off their car (and this is pure laziness), then they deserve a ticket.  Period.

No.  I never have.  I dont see this as an issue at all. 

28 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Ah ok well if it's never happened to you then the issue must not exist.

There is a difference between a foot of snow and ice and normal snow fall on the top of a car.  There was a photo floating around from twitter.  I think it was an Ontario police force of a car completely encased with just a little patch cleared on the drivers windshield.  I get that.

The issue isnt the specific infraction.  In this city, our government uses WPS and photo enforcement as revenue generators that is required for budgetary reasons.  This comes on the heels of a checkstop program that consisted of WPS doing fairly ludicrous checks of vehicles that they'd otherwise never do with the intent of generating revenue for the city.

For this reason, its important for us to be critical of the actions and motives of police.  Its too simple to say "well, there's a law and he broke it".  That's akin to putting our heads in the sand. 

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There is a difference between a foot of snow and ice and normal snow fall on the top of a car.  There was a photo floating around from twitter.  I think it was an Ontario police force of a car completely encased with just a little patch cleared on the drivers windshield.  I get that.

The issue isnt the specific infraction.  In this city, our government uses WPS and photo enforcement as revenue generators that is required for budgetary reasons.  This comes on the heels of a checkstop program that consisted of WPS doing fairly ludicrous checks of vehicles that they'd otherwise never do with the intent of generating revenue for the city.

For this reason, its important for us to be critical of the actions and motives of police.  Its too simple to say "well, there's a law and he broke it".  That's akin to putting our heads in the sand. 

Checkstop program checking for silly infractions, sure I agree that is an abuse of their power.

Photo radar as well.

But what you're missing is that the issue here IS the specific infraction.  Just like you don't want people to say "well, there's a law and he broke it", I don't want people to say "he got a ticket?  Well, that's just a cash grab."  It's situational.  And in this situation, the ticket was warranted, whether you agree or not.  The amount of snow shown in the photo is beyond acceptable levels.