Random News Items

Rich

14 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The shirt in question bore the image of a baseball bat and the message “Eeny Meeny Miny Moe” — a reference to a scene from the AMC zombie drama in which Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) is deciding who in the protagonist group to kill.

In the scene, Negan continues the phrase with, “Catch a tiger by his toe” — though, historically in the U.K. the rhyme has employed the N-word rather than the word “tiger.”

The historical use caused shopper Ian Lucraft to complain after spotting the shirt at a branch of the U.K.’s Primark retail chain.

“We were shocked when we came face to face with a new t-shirt with a racially explicit graphic and text,” Lucraft told the Warwick Courier. “It was fantastically offensive and I can only assume that no one in the process of ordering it knew what they were doing or were aware of its subliminal messages.”

Someone wants their 15 minutes of fame. 

37 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The shirt in question bore the image of a baseball bat and the message “Eeny Meeny Miny Moe” — a reference to a scene from the AMC zombie drama in which Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) is deciding who in the protagonist group to kill.

In the scene, Negan continues the phrase with, “Catch a tiger by his toe” — though, historically in the U.K. the rhyme has employed the N-word rather than the word “tiger.”

The historical use caused shopper Ian Lucraft to complain after spotting the shirt at a branch of the U.K.’s Primark retail chain.

“We were shocked when we came face to face with a new t-shirt with a racially explicit graphic and text,” Lucraft told the Warwick Courier. “It was fantastically offensive and I can only assume that no one in the process of ordering it knew what they were doing or were aware of its subliminal messages.”

Someone wants their 15 minutes of fame. 

i guess the counter-argument could be made that the Confederate flag means something different now but still has a reference to slave culture.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I liked this part:

“It was fantastically offensive"

Usually this would mean that it was so offensive, that it would be obvious to all that it was offensive.  Ie - the shirt would have on it an actual offensive word or racial slur that was really really bad and everyone would be able to understand its meaning immediately and be like "WOAH!!  That's FANTASTICALLY OFFENSIVE!!!"

But then he says:

I can only assume that no one in the process of ordering it knew what they were doing or were aware of its subliminal messages.”

So in other words, it's so fantastically offensive that it only can offend you "subliminally", whatever that means.  Some might not even realize that the shirt is offensive.  Why?  Because it's not offensive, at all.  But that doesn't stop this guy from writing in a complaint, and having the shirt pulled.  I really wish the manufacturer/distributor would have told this clown to pound sand. 

When I was in Vegas two weeks ago a guy was walking around the Bellagio with a "Savage as ****" T-shirt on.  Was I "fantastically offended"?  No.  It just seemed like a really stupid thing to do, to walk around in public with a T-Shirt like that on.  Like, what a bonehead.  But I still would have been more offended by that shirt then a guy walking around with a shirt depicting Lucille and the phrase used by Neegan in TWD.  It's just so silly.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

That was crazy!

I actually enjoyed the Oscars.  I thought it was a pretty good show over-all and I really like Jimmy Kimmel.  The gag with the site-seeing bus arriving was pretty good and really humanizes the celebrities as the ones near the front seemed to enjoy it and went out of their way to interact with the guests.

I guess what happened is, PriceWaterhouse has two people, one in each wing of the stage, both having a collection of all envelopes.  So there is a duplicate.  And someone handed Warren the duplicate for Emma Stone's best actress.  Its a shame Warren didnt just ask for confirmation as he clearly knew it wasnt legit.  Gotta feel awful for La La Land people giving those emotional speeches but gracious of that one producer who showed the card and c Moonlighting up on stage.

The reason I watched was for the In Memoriam segment but I thought they really went too fast.  I seem to recall years past where they play more clips and you can hear the audience reacting more.

Its a fun celebration though.  And its interesting to think about some of these young actors as "best".  I remember seeing Emma Stone in Superbad and thinking she was such a fresh face and could be a star.  Remind me of seeing Sandra Bullock in Demolition Man which was a horrible film but I watched it because of this new actress I had never heard of before.  I even called a friend and said remember the name Sandra Bullock.

Does anyone else of a certain age feel like you're in a transition period?  Like all the "big stars" we grew up with are either really old, retiring or dying and all the "kids" are becoming the new "big stars".

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The reason I watched was for the In Memoriam segment but I thought they really went too fast.  I seem to recall years past where they play more clips and you can hear the audience reacting more.

Its a fun celebration though.  And its interesting to think about some of these young actors as "best".  I remember seeing Emma Stone in Superbad and thinking she was such a fresh face and could be a star.  Remind me of seeing Sandra Bullock in Demolition Man which was a horrible film but I watched it because of this new actress I had never heard of before.  I even called a friend and said remember the name Sandra Bullock.

Does anyone else of a certain age feel like you're in a transition period?  Like all the "big stars" we grew up with are either really old, retiring or dying and all the "kids" are becoming the new "big stars".

I wonder if the In Memoriam was done this way due to the larger then normal stars who died. To show a small clip from each one would have really stretched it out. Considering how many bits were in the show this year with the Matt Damon stuff, parachutes and tour bus they could have done it especially if the Damon stuff was cut out or just doing the parachutes once.

Demolition Man is a guilty please. Bullock winning best actress was just guilt.

Affleck botoxing now #sad

Still I'm happy, called Moonlight the winner.

Paxton mentioned before Memoriam by Aniston and either she choked up or just was coughing not sure. Strangely enuf he was featured in a Rolex ad during the show.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I thought Affleck looked a bit older too.  But I guess not in make up and maybe not in Batman shape at the moment.  I thought the Damon stuff was pretty funny.  Didnt they have a "feud" years ago over Kimmel's then-girlfriend doing a video called "Im ******* Matt Damon"?  And then Kimmel did a response video called "Im ******* Ben Affleck" or something like that? 

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought Affleck looked a bit older too.  But I guess not in make up and maybe not in Batman shape at the moment.  I thought the Damon stuff was pretty funny.  Didnt they have a "feud" years ago over Kimmel's then-girlfriend doing a video called "Im ******* Matt Damon"?  And then Kimmel did a response video called "Im ******* Ben Affleck" or something like that? 

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That was crazy!

It's not Hollywood anymore without John Wayne. #TheDukeliveson

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Was going to post this myself. Love Dave and he really beats up on trump in an obvious way.  It's funny because we can get into arguments about politics and then someone like Dave just strips it down to what it's really all about.