Picard Released

Jpan85

Adios to Picard...he was not getting it done as he is done...We will find a decent replacement, you know someone that can actually get the ball straight back into the quarterbacks hands, instead of falling at his feet. I believe father time has caught up with Picard and he should have submitted his retirement papers to the league...His play last year was abysmal and if someone else is willing to pick him up...good luck.

Ideally we draft someone at 9 or 10 good enough to be the sixth man... then we will probably take a prospect later in the draft (assuming one worthy of drafting is available).... then if we can sign a fa good enough to start or at least be the sixth man we would be in a favorable position...

23 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Ideally we draft someone at 9 or 10 good enough to be the sixth man... then we will probably take a prospect later in the draft (assuming one worthy of drafting is available).... then if we can sign a fa good enough to start or at least be the sixth man we would be in a favorable position...

FA  comes before the draft. We can't pin our hopes on a 2nd round pick in a shallow draft year. We need an OL in FA.

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes, a conditional 7th round in 2017.

If you are talking about the 2nd overall pick (our first round pick), we used it in the supplemental draft to grab Garrett Waggoner.  

So it wasn't a wasted or traded pick, we just picked a player early.  Will take a couple of years before we really know if it was wisely used or not.

I stand corrected. Thanks. So the 7th pick was spent on Nichols to try to recover from the QB disaster.

6 hours ago, Mike said:

You remember incorrectly which essentially renders the rest of this argument moot. Nichols cost us a conditional 7th rounder, not a 2nd overall pick. Would your opinion on his QB management change now that you know the asset we gave up to give us a continuing shot at the playoffs last year was a throw away?

Walters has done a lot of things wrong as GM - QB management is not one of them. Unless he's supposed to manage the health of Drew Willy.

Yes and no. I'm glad the 2nd round pick *may* yet pay dividends but Edmonton basically gave Nichols away.

Were Brohm and Marve not also Walters' boys? Even when healthy, Marve was awful and Brohm, well ... Then there's the porous oline which brings us back to Picard, generally conceded to be a waste of money by Walters.

I'd like to hear your argument in favour of Walters' QB management or is not being responsible for managing Willy's health it?

On a positive note, there's Westerman.

Edited by J5V

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

I wonder if they are thinking of going with 3 internationals on the line with Chungh and Goossen. There is always that possibility. Neufeld as the 6 th oline wouldn't be that bad since he can Play multiple spots 

This could be a possibility if we can pry Laurent from Hamilton in free agency

On 12/31/2015 at 1:58 PM, J5V said:

Yes and no. I'm glad the 2nd round pick *may* yet pay dividends but Edmonton basically gave Nichols away.

Were Brohm and Marve not also Walters' boys? Even when healthy, Marve was awful and Brohm, well ... Then there's the porous oline which brings us back to Picard, generally conceded to be a waste of money by Walters.

I'd like to hear your argument in favour of Walters' QB management or is not being responsible for managing Willy's health it?

On a positive note, there's Westerman.

It is not even a 2nd round pick, It is a 7TH ROUND PICK. Maybe this time you will be able to read it.

On 1/2/2016 at 10:07 AM, Mark H. said:

Let's hope Mr. Walters is considering any and all options.  Such as finding other NIs who can start and going with 3 import OL. Beat the bushes down south for American guards and tackles. The OL should not be weakened just for the sake of starting Canadians, it should be their first priority.  

Agree completely.  If I were managing a CFL team my goal would be to have 4 NI starters on each side of the ball.  What position they play is almost inconsequential.  You need to have contingency plans for injury and poor play, so realistically you need at least a dozen NI's who can play offense/defense at a level where you aren't scared when they are on the field.

IMO we are reaching a point where the supply of NI receivers and running backs who can play in the CFL is about that same or greater than NI OL who can play in the league at a reasonable level.  There's no reason to force a certain number of NI OL on the field.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Agree completely.  If I were managing a CFL team my goal would be to have 4 NI starters on each side of the ball.  What position they play is almost inconsequential.  You need to have contingency plans for injury and poor play, so realistically you need at least a dozen NI's who can play offense/defense at a level where you aren't scared when they are on the field.

IMO we are reaching a point where the supply of NI receivers and running backs who can play in the CFL is about that same or greater than NI OL who can play in the league at a reasonable level.  There's no reason to force a certain number of NI OL on the field.

More diversity in your starting Canadians would also improve the quality of your special teams.  

In most of the games I watched this year, I found that the OL was over-matched by the DL. In almost every games, there seemed to be a DE that the OTs could not consistently contain and/or they were getting away with blatant holds.  Management teams need to be taking a hard look at this trend.

13 hours ago, Mark H. said:

More diversity in your starting Canadians would also improve the quality of your special teams.  

In most of the games I watched this year, I found that the OL was over-matched by the DL. In almost every games, there seemed to be a DE that the OTs could not consistently contain and/or they were getting away with blatant holds.  Management teams need to be taking a hard look at this trend.

Teams are really using the extra DI spots to make life hell on offenses yet teams still stubbornly refuse to ever use more than 2 imports on the offensive line. Just blows my mind. 

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Teams are really using the extra DI spots to make life hell on offenses yet teams still stubbornly refuse to ever use more than 2 imports on the offensive line. Just blows my mind. 

Blame the OC's for running outdated protections and slow developing routes. The best offenses in the league get the ball out of the qb hands quickly regardless of who or how many are blocking.

33 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Blame the OC's for running outdated protections and slow developing routes. The best offenses in the league get the ball out of the qb hands quickly regardless of who or how many are blocking.

You have to have YAC players to be effective in the dink and dunk offences. Harris would go a long way in helping to protect our QBs. A guy who could be reasonably counted on for 15 carries and 8-10 receptions as a check down that actually produces would go a long way for our offence.

6 hours ago, pigseye said:

That stuff works to a point.  Defenses are getting pressure consistently with 4-5.  With the couple teams really committed to the zone blitzing, you don't know who those guys are going to be so quick game is just a pre-snap guess, and that's why Hamilton and Edmonton had so many takeaways.  I believe Ottawa led the league in sacks and they run a pretty straightforward rush.  The OL just aren't good enough.  It doesn't matter what is called if guys like Picard and Neufeld can't even figure out how to be speed bumps.

It's not the answer to all our problems but it's a start and I agree about Harris but Cotton was just as effective until he got hurt. It's also tough when you're behind early in games because your defence can't get off the field to try to stretch the field more but that's just the trap that pin heads like Marcel always fell into.

Edited by pigseye