Mike O'Shea on #QandView

Mr Dee

The timing of Paul Friesen's latest article is either suspicious or right on cue. 

He certainly tries to make a case...

BUT - it's hard to validate his concerns when we've all heard the stories of the media standing around goofing off and not paying attention to what's going on, on the field, during practices, right in front of them. 

I find it very hard to believe there isn't at least one story each and every practice...on each player alone...never mind the plays going on all around them. 

You know what it is....laziness. They'd rather hear their stories from lame questions they want to ask the staff..instead of actually doing the work themselves.

Anyways, here's the story.

In the 2nd half of his article in the Sun, he writes:

MEDIA TAKES ON CFL

Media types from Quebec to B.C. are taking the league to task for a declining lack of access to players and coaches.

The Football Reporters of Canada, an organization led by new president Terry Jones, the long-time sports columnist at the Edmonton Sun, is asking first-year commissioner Jeffrey Orridge to address what’s become a more adversarial relationship between reporters and the people they cover.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/12/21/maurice-finally-flexing-some-muscle-by-showing-he-wont-put-up-with-penalty-parade

8 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

This is a funny parallel to draw (and I've actually had similar thoughts myself).   Rivera had a lot of the same tendencies that O'Shea has had early in his coaching career.  Very conservative.  Going with "the numbers" as opposed to taking risks and being aggressive.   It was only two or three games into his third season when rumors began swirling his firing was imminent (to be fair, there WERE discussions about his release following his second year but I think, from a personnel standpoint, the organization had actually begun to feel out replacements).

Then a light came on.  They started being more aggressive, taking calculated risks.  And the team responded .. it didn't hurt that Newton also began to evolve as a quarterback .. but the team responded .. much the same way O'Shea's team responded once we stopped playing "by the numbers" .. risks on ST proved successful but I think he also needs to be less conservative overall .. let the team develop confidence .. play fast and loose ..  This is a game you play to win .. not to "not lose".  

Excellent point and I wonder if the same could have been said about Lapo when he was HC here?

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

The timing of Paul Friesen's latest article is either suspicious or right on cue. 

BUT - it's hard to validate his concerns when we've all heard the stories of the media standing around goofing off and not paying attention to what's going on, on the field, during practices, right in front of them. 

I find it very hard to believe there isn't at least one story each and every practice...on each player alone...never mind the plays going on all around them. 

You know what it is....laziness. They'd rather hear their stories from lame questions they want to ask the staff..instead of actually doing the work themselves.

MEDIA TAKES ON CFL

Media types from Quebec to B.C. are taking the league to task for a declining lack of access to players and coaches.

The Football Reporters of Canada, an organization led by new president Terry Jones, the long-time sports columnist at the Edmonton Sun, is asking first-year commissioner Jeffrey Orridge to address what’s become a more adversarial relationship between reporters and the people they cover.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/12/21/maurice-finally-flexing-some-muscle-by-showing-he-wont-put-up-with-penalty-parade

As I see it, restricting the media is a concern. Especially if it's hurting attendance & interest. if MOS is the only head coach who restricts access the way he does, the man is a fool. Just slicing his own throat in the long run. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

MEDIA TAKES ON CFL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question is, were you there when the claims reporters were goofing off at practice? Was something going on at practice & things were missed? I have a hard time believing the Winnipeg media does absolutely nothing practice after practice. 

9 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Question is, were you there when the claims reporters were goofing off at practice? Was something going on at practice & things were missed? I have a hard time believing the Winnipeg media does absolutely nothing practice after practice. 

In one of his & Tait's podcasts, Wiecek goes on at length about how he pays no attention to what's happening at practice. He thought it was hillarious that he doesn't do his job. I have no idea which podcast it was in, but there aren't that many of them so it shouldn't be hard to find.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

In one of his & Tait's podcasts, Wiecek goes on at length about how he pays no attention to what's happening at practice. He thought it was hillarious that he doesn't do his job. I have no idea which podcast it was in, but there aren't that many of them so it shouldn't be hard to find.

I've been there and seen it during training camp. Was sitting in front of them. There was no football discussion, a lot of bitching about photo radar.I'd always been slightly skeptical of those reports as well until I was there for training camp one day

Yup, it's been reported here plenty by posters who go to practice to actually watch. I've also seen it first hand, standing around not even looking at the field. 

That's why during TC it's best to come here for information. Most of the time the media doesn't do a good enough job.

I will say it's likely not that great for the average fan to not get the media coverage all the time. But at the same time, is it any better to the average fan if the reports are all bland and basically crap??

2 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

I've been there and seen it during training camp. Was sitting in front of them. There was no football discussion, a lot of bitching about photo radar.I'd always been slightly skeptical of those reports as well until I was there for training camp one day

Having sat behind a few of them at TC at times, I can vouch that at least Penton, Bauming, Irving, and when I do see him,  Lawless at least pay attention during TC.

15 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Question is, were you there when the claims reporters were goofing off at practice?

I've been there, but I wasn't paying attention to the media. That wasn't my interest, nor my job.

Was something going on at practice & things were missed?

I bet there was, but we'll never know because, as I said, attention wasn't been paid.

I have a hard time believing the Winnipeg media does absolutely nothing practice after practice. 

As I fully expected, the knowledgable posters on this site have posted what they, and others have seen, that certain media, not all, waste time at practices, then rely on getting their information from interviews after practice. And if you've heard those interviews, they are not that informational and rarely mention what had been practiced on the field.

I suppose having access to the coordinators would provide better information...if those same reporters were inclined to participate, shall we say.

The Football Reporters Of Canada are complaining to Orridge about the way things are now being handled by teams & the veil of secrecy that seems to be growing. if it is interfering with reporters doing their jobs & ultimately attendance as football is becoming an afterthought then something needs to be done. So, we'll see what happens. I guess. 

The FROC are saying limited access to players prevents them from doing more stories on CFL team especially on Game Day. And during the season. THEY feel that it hurts attendance & maybe they have a point. This isn't about Paul Friesen. When someone like Terry Jones complains, well, the guy has been around for 3 decades & regularily does columns about the CFL. I think if Jones is unhappy there might be something there. 

3 hours ago, iso_55 said:

The FROC are saying limited access to players prevents them from doing more stories on CFL team especially on Game Day. And during the season. THEY feel that it hurts attendance & maybe they have a point. This isn't about Paul Friesen. When someone like Terry Jones complains, well, the guy has been around for 3 decades & regularily does columns about the CFL. I think if Jones is unhappy there might be something there. 

Still don't see the correlation off lack of availability to the media to attendance

8 hours ago, holoman said:

Still don't see the correlation off lack of availability to the media to attendance

The point not mentioned here is that there are negative posters here complaining about MOS policy when clearly that policy is common across the league. I would say Negatrons but I think that has been copyrighted, make it seem MOS was out of step when clearly MOS was just doing what a bunch of teams are doing. There are plenty of real things to complain about, this is just complaining to complain. 

Old fashinoned media might affect some old fashioned fans but if they are old fashioned chances are they have stuck around for a while. The interaction with players through social media will interest younger fans more but there will still have to be some level of hope or sign of improvement to attract interest. You can't win every game but if the fan feels there is a chance then they will pay attention. So the goal is to just build some hope. 

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

The point not mentioned here is that there are negative posters here complaining about MOS policy when clearly that policy is common across the league. I would say Negatrons but I think that has been copyrighted, make it seem MOS was out of step when clearly MOS was just doing what a bunch of teams are doing. There are plenty of real things to complain about, this is just complaining to complain. 

Old fashinoned media might affect some old fashioned fans but if they are old fashioned chances are they have stuck around for a while. The interaction with players through social media will interest younger fans more but there will still have to be some level of hope or sign of improvement to attract interest. You can't win every game but if the fan feels there is a chance then they will pay attention. So the goal is to just build some hope. 

and I dont believe any of our "journalists" (i use the term incredibly loosely here) do that. they would rather tear down then build up.  There is one that usually has a positive spin on the bombers when he does do articles on them.. Penton. 

13 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Terry Jones is unhappy when the buffet closes down. His time as a quality reporter is long past and he's just a guy who goes through the motions and tries to disturb ****. 

56 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

and I dont believe any of our "journalists" (i use the term incredibly loosely here) do that. they would rather tear down then build up.  There is one that usually has a positive spin on the bombers when he does do articles on them.. Penton. 

You must not have read anything Penton has written in the past three years. Kirk's a good guy but he's definitely become a bit jaded. For me, Tait or Bauming are the guys to read now.

So true. Penton has gone down hill fast. Very jaded, probably hanging out with Friesen 2 much. It's a shame cuz when Penton isn't being an overly negative guy, he's actually pretty good. I tend to find that the Metro writer (i believe it's bauming actually) is the best one of them all right now. The Metro is a very good paper too. Cuts out all the bs and just basically prints facts. Really solid actually. I believe Bauming is the guy that writes the bombers articles there. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Terry Jones is unhappy when the buffet closes down. His time as a quality reporter is long past and he's just a guy who goes through the motions and tries to disturb ****. 

When is he like that? The guy covers all the sports, baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, football, Olympics, etc. I don't think he goes thru the motions at all. Does that all Bomber fans do is ***** about the media?

7 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Paul Friesen says MOS is the only coach in the CFL to do this. Muzzle his coaches.