LaPolice new Bombers OC

Mr. Perfect

LaPo's success pivots on quality of his QB

columnist.title By: Doug Brown

The premise of this article can be summed up as; when LaPolice has a healthy QB on the uprise, then he has been successful and has proven his offensive proficiency. When the QB is at the tale end of his career..or has injury concerns (think Buck Pierce) then his offences don't move the chains.

I'm intrigued by this line from the article-

"word coming out of Investors Group Field is addressing this shortage of pass catching talent will be one of the team’s primary focuses in free agency this off season." .

"If these associations and timelines are more than just coincidental, then it should be noted Drew Willy will be the best quarterback LaPolice has worked with in Winnipeg since Jones in his prime, and Willy is on the upswing of his career — not at the apex, or on the downside.

While there is currently no Milt Stegall, Arland Bruce, or Bobby Gordon to throw to, word coming out of Investors Group Field is addressing this shortage of pass catching talent will be one of the team’s primary focuses in free agency this off season.

If LaPolice can implement a protection scheme that plays to the strengths and taps the potential of his young and up and coming offensive line — and run the football — his mentorship with Drew Willy could turn both of their resumés in Winnipeg."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/LaPos-success-pivots-on-quality-of-his-QB----361924711.html

Mr. Perfect is bang on. Lapolice was given far too much credit for a Worman offense after we fired him because we had a petulant running back at the time. Evidence of his success was in fact in his offense's failure to either maintain or improve on the previous year's results. Just listening to him now on CJOB and he now says he has learned from watching and analyzing on TV etc. While I am not a fan, but do agree that he should have learned something in the past 3 years, we will see if he has learned and if he has can he put it to use on the field. Can he communicate to his players, can he develop an offense that uses the strengths and minimizes the weaknesses of its parts, can he garner the confidence of those in the system, can he adjust as required and in the end can he be successful. You can't put a square peg in a round hole so let's see what happens.

In 02 he had a gun slinger at qb and Stegall and Bruce in the slot, that put teams in a bind defensively and all Khari had to do was pick one of them to heave it up to.

So sign a slotback to replace Moore... WIlly is a gunslinger and Denmark is our other SB.

We have a Roberts/Sellers type duo in Cotton/Marshall...

And don't forget that one of Jones' targets was Jamie Stoddard... we are way ahead of the curve there, probably four stoddards on the roster already!

That comparison isn't even close to even mention...Cotton/Marshall being compared to Roberts/Sellers. Two of the all time best we've ever had to two after thoughts
I agree. Not even playing the same sport.

Sellers and Roberts are easily ten times better.

Is Marshall really an every-down back? He's not great at making anyone miss and I think you need some element of shiftiness to be a great CFL back. You look at Cornish, he's got the power and can drag the pile, but I've also seen him absolutely embarrass linebackers with a move.

And Walker had very few touches in his time here. Many of them were up-the-gut blasts, and he got owned on those. Couldn't believe how badly we used him. He's not a complete player by any stretch, but he can do damage in the open field -- run a pick on the MLB, get him the ball with some receivers and a lineman in front of him and let him do his thing. But we just used him like an ordinary running back.

Don't forget that Marshall was brought in as "thunder" not "lightening". If the Bombers can get Cotton back in original condition or sign Andrew Harris I think they'll be fine at RB.

Not for very long. At 28, he's not long for football at his position.

"word coming out of Investors Group Field is addressing this shortage of pass catching talent will be one of the team’s primary focuses in free agency this off season." .

how about Kyle Walters just does what every other GM in the league can do and find some pass catchers on his own from the states? There's only about a million of them down there. 

how about Kyle Walters just does what every other GM in the league can do and find some pass catchers on his own from the states? There's only about a million of them down there. 

If they are that easy to find EVERY NFL team would have "perfect" pass catchers.

If they are that easy to find EVERY NFL team would have "perfect" pass catchers.

Name a CFL team other than Ottawa that can't find some receivers that can play. It's a position that a GM should be able to find guys for. No one is asking for perfect, just good enough you can find someone without having to go into the free agent market. 

Name a CFL team other than Ottawa that can't find some receivers that can play. It's a position that a GM should be able to find guys for. No one is asking for perfect, just good enough you can find someone without having to go into the free agent market. 

I agree scouts for a CFL team should be able to find players who can play very well...but that is not as easy as you seem to think. Why not have a combination of very good scouting and be able to dip into free agency as well. Who knows why some of the guys we brought into training camp were let go...perhaps some of them were players who could play but didn't fit into MB's schemes or he just couldn't recognize the talent well enough because he always seemed to want to play those who he already knew.

Most NFL worth their weight have at least one star receiver who can be dominate.

The same goes for CFL teams. Arcenaux (spelling?) Walker, Rogers, Roosevelt (SSK? I think that's his name) TO has a plethora along with Ott/Ham. Maybe the only two teams that don't are Montreal and WPG.

Most NFL worth their weight have at least one star receiver who can be dominate.

The same goes for CFL teams. Arcenaux (spelling?) Walker, Rogers, Roosevelt (SSK? I think that's his name) TO has a plethora along with Ott/Ham. Maybe the only two teams that don't are Montreal and WPG.

I would say SJ Green falls into the star receiver category.

Some pass catchers from the states? From the Free Agency camps that we run down there?

Yes, I agree. It's darn near time we start unearthing some gems from those camps. Gotta be one or two in this million you would think.

But really, I don't care if we get one and one from up here and down there, as long as we get performance from them.

We need a new 'star' in that regard.

If I were Walters. I'd be doing everything I could to make sure Rogers knew how badly we want him. Tampering be damned. That guy has a legit career in front of him. Do whatever you can to plant a seed in his ear!

You don't mean Eric Rogers, do you?

If so, you missed this...

Scott Mitchell – Verified account ‏@SUNMitchell

Whole lot of NFL interest in Eric Rogers. He’s got 11 workouts scheduled so far. Patriots done, #49ers up next Monday, per sources. #CFL

10:04 AM - 13 Dec 2015

Interesting read by Darren Cameron, on the process when hiring Paul LaPolice as OC:

....he didn’t come in expecting to be handed anything; he came in to win the job as the team’s Offensive Coordinator. For hours, well into the afternoon, the trio talked football, watched film, went through the things Paul wanted to implement. He didn’t present it as ‘this is what was wrong’, but rather ‘this is what we would be doing in 2016’.

Mike and Paul talked football, and Kyle discussed specifics regarding contractual talk and the more administrative side of things. Around 11:30 a.m., while the three were still mid-discussion, I received a text from Kyle; brief, but to the point: “LaPo is really good” it read. They had met and spoken with many other candidates prior to meeting with Paul, but this was the first time either had expressed genuine excitement.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2015/12/15/blog-hiring-paul-lapolice/

If I were Walters. I'd be doing everything I could to make sure Rogers knew how badly we want him. Tampering be damned. That guy has a legit career in front of him. Do whatever you can to plant a seed in his ear!

You don't mean Eric Rogers, do you?

If so, you missed this...

Scott Mitchell – Verified account ‏@SUNMitchell

Whole lot of NFL interest in Eric Rogers. He’s got 11 workouts scheduled so far. Patriots done, #49ers up next Monday, per sources. #CFL

10:04 AM - 13 Dec 2015

I did miss that. Doesn't surprise me though.