LaPolice new Bombers OC

Mr. Perfect

Part of the challenge LaPo was still hoping for a HC job and Stubler went to work for a better team

ANd do we think Lapolice is taking this job right now for any reason other than he thinks if O'Shea gets fired he'll get another chance to wear the big head set?

Yes. His other reason is that he gets to stay home with his wife and kids.

Part of the challenge LaPo was still hoping for a HC job and Stubler went to work for a better team

ANd do we think Lapolice is taking this job right now for any reason other than he thinks if O'Shea gets fired he'll get another chance to wear the big head set?

Nope.

LaPo has to be somewhat successful to add to his resume. He has virtually tied his success to the team's success. If they fail miserably, there will be wholesale changes along with no guarantees.

He'd have had a better chance, in your scenario, to go to BC.

Of course, there is the possibility that he will be successful, and still be open to a HC position opening up somewhere else.

Throw me on the "Not quite sure what to think of this hire yet" bus. I liked Lapo the last time he was here and felt he was never given the players he wanted and was a failure due to Mack. Mack give him all the players he wanted and said coach them.  I know a good coach should be able to coach any player which leads me to believe Lapo isn't HC material.  He is however a great OC. He has proven in the past he can have success at that position. The position which he is hired for. Sounds like he spent a lot of time in the last 3 years keeping up on the CFL and expanding his playbook and learning. If Walters and O'shea give him the players he wants I think he can once again be a very successful OC. Here is to hoping :)

Check the stats in the above article....

Agreed.  Lapo cannot and should not be called a great OC.  That's laughable

Oh make no mistake I know why O'Shea hired Lapolice, he was the experienced "safe" choice. I disagree that it's the right choice.

Those of you who disagree that Lapo is the right choice... who IS your right choice?

I think this certainly has the optics of continuing the time-honored, recently unsuccessful tradition of bringing back former Bombers... but who better is out there, that would be available?

Khari's track record as OC is terrible.  Dyce was mediocre as OC.  Cortez can't hold onto a job.  Condell is a complete unknown because of the influence of Austin.  Danny Barrett's been out of the CFL a long time.  Brady and Maas were not made available.  And I don't think we want to go NCAA again given the wild success of Crowton.

I hate the optics of bringing back former Bombers that were unsuccessful too, but maybe, just maybe, he's not just a qualified candidate.  Maybe he's changed somewhat.  Either way, there really isn't much better that I can see, that was available.

If he succeeds here then he will be in demand as a head coach. He also outlined a few reasons why he decided now was the time to take the job in his presser.

Why don't we have a rank the top 9 OC's in the league?  I bet no one would agree.  Lapo is saying what the majority here want.  We'll see if he can walk the walk now.

From Free Press:

LaPolice cited an improvement to the Bombers woeful run game and keeping QB Drew Willy upright as his top priorities next season. "We want to make sure we can effectively run the football and take some pressure off the quarterback. And we want to make sure we can do some things to get the ball out of his hand quickly," said LaPolice.

Why don't we have a rank the top 9 OC's in the league?  I bet no one would agree.  Lapo is saying what the majority here want.  We'll see if he can walk the walk now.

From Free Press:

LaPolice cited an improvement to the Bombers woeful run game and keeping QB Drew Willy upright as his top priorities next season. "We want to make sure we can effectively run the football and take some pressure off the quarterback. And we want to make sure we can do some things to get the ball out of his hand quickly," said LaPolice.

So when Walters gives him Chevon Walker and Dominic Picard what then?

Oh make no mistake I know why O'Shea hired Lapolice, he was the experienced "safe" choice. I disagree that it's the right choice.

Those of you who disagree that Lapo is the right choice... who IS your right choice?

I think this certainly has the optics of continuing the time-honored, recently unsuccessful tradition of bringing back former Bombers... but who better is out there, that would be available?

Khari's track record as OC is terrible.  Dyce was mediocre as OC.  Cortez can't hold onto a job.  Condell is a complete unknown because of the influence of Austin.  Danny Barrett's been out of the CFL a long time.  Brady and Maas were not made available.  And I don't think we want to go NCAA again given the wild success of Crowton.

I hate the optics of bringing back former Bombers that were unsuccessful too, but maybe, just maybe, he's not just a qualified candidate.  Maybe he's changed somewhat.  Either way, there really isn't much better that I can see, that was available.

I have already said what my preferences were. I'd rather gamble on a fresh face improving than gambling on an old face that I didn't like either of the first two times becoming someone different. 

From Free Press:

So when Walters gives him Chevon Walker and Dominic Picard what then?

I would say we need a separate thread about recruiting. Truthfully it's bottom tier, especially the US side.

Picard was a good signing but it didn't work out, I understand why Picard was brought in, I don't think he's a good guy to be using as an example, he was a vet presence on a young line, yeah he struggled but i think bringing in Picard was more about him mentoring Goossen and the youngsters more than anything, Did they expect him to be as bad as he was? probably not but sometimes, free agent signings don't work out.

Chevon Walker? I dunno who gets the blame there, I want to almost put it on MB since MB seemed to be a guy who would rather play guys he was more familiar with, Aaron Kelly is another guy that MB loved, bombers let him go tho.

I don't really see the point in beating this topic to death...

I guess when it comes right down to it, Lapo has been away for a few years, he talked a good talk at the press conference, he's always trying to improve and get better, I think some people expect to see the same O we saw a few years ago when he was head coach but... I doubt it will be the same, similar for sure but.... with new wrinkles thrown in for sure.

Think Lapo is probably the right hire, I think over the last 3 years or so he's grown, he's learned new things, he's a smart guy, perhaps he was in over his head as head coach... I think our O will be alright this year with a few upgrades and I don't even think they need to rehaul the O talent that much even, New RB (Harris), New guard and Tackle would be nice... cuz Bryant,Chungh and Goossen is a nice start on the line... Run the ball more, MB abandoned it too much, the other teams knew we weren't gonna run the ball so they just teed off on the oline and qb's, need some balance there to stop teams from knowing what's gonna happen.. Hell, when we the people knew what play was coming next, you can bet your butt that the other teams knew it too... 

Lapo, yup he's failed before but... so has every other guy out there that we spoke too. 

Not sure there  was one guy out there that would make everyone happy. 

I guess i'll say this...

SAsk is getting all this praise and omg look at what they are doing, they are gonna be awesome, bombers hire lapo and it's like oh yeah? lapo is back...not so much hype.

Sometimes, it's the signings that guy little hype that turn out to be the best ones and the ones who get the most hype, sometimes they are the ones that fail. 

We shall see what happens. 

Upgrade the RB position, the backup qb position(s), maybe a receiver or 2 and i think this team will do some very good things. 

How refreshing might is be if someone looked to the CIS where they actually play 3 down football with 12 players.

Because then all you guys would be bitching about the Bombers going cheap and hiring an OC with no CFL experience.  

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  

Yes Murphy would have been a rookie GM but with a demonstrated ability to find talent. One of the problems in this league is that at some point all the player personnel people were either getting paid too much and then they mysteriously eve loved into GMs. Not everyone has the skill set to do all facets of a GM job in the CFL. The successful ones realize that and surround themselves with quality staff to fill in the other areas. The problem in business or sports is when the BIG Boss thinks he has all the answers.

Heard Lapo on H&L yesterday and he made an interesting comment I *think* I heard.  He confirmed that part of the deal was he'd have a say in player recruitment (or at least a voice) "something that wasn't the case last time". 

I believe that was specifically in regards to the QBs brought in.  Where last time he was told which QBs would be brought in, this time he wanted to at least be part of the discussion.

Heard Lapo on H&L yesterday and he made an interesting comment I *think* I heard.  He confirmed that part of the deal was he'd have a say in player recruitment (or at least a voice) "something that wasn't the case last time". 

I believe that was specifically in regards to the QBs brought in.  Where last time he was told which QBs would be brought in, this time he wanted to at least be part of the discussion.

And the one thing we know about "The Trinity" is that they like to do things by committee. MOS certainly has final say on most things, but they encourage everyone to participate in discussions....

And the one thing we know about "The Trinity" is that they like to do things by committee. MOS certainly has final say on most things, but they encourage everyone to participate in discussions....

Stand by, because I think the trinity will be transformed into the quarternity OR my preferred TETRAD (a group or set of 4).

LaPolice makes it the top 4....