Chris Jones to Saskatchewan Roughriders confirmed

blueandgoldguy

This is why I mock the Riders for wanting to be the Esks. They cried the loudest about Edmonton buying cups back in the day, now they are flush with cash and are trying to spend their way to cups, including spending to get the entire Esks coaching staff that just won a cup. It's sad really the envy that organization has for the Esks. 

This is why I mock the Riders for wanting to be the Esks. They cried the loudest about Edmonton buying cups back in the day, now they are flush with cash and are trying to spend their way to cups, including spending to get the entire Esks coaching staff that just won a cup. It's sad really the envy that organization has for the Esks. 

I'm curious if you know, or anyone else for that matter, how much Huff, Murphy, Petrie were making last season together?  No one knows or probably even cared to ask until the riders made this move. For some reason it seems more like a big deal because its the Riders. I get it, its a bomber fan site, but still the question stands.

I'm curious if you know, or anyone else for that matter, how much Huff, Murphy, Petrie were making last season together?  No one knows or probably even cared to ask until the riders made this move. For some reason it seems more like a big deal because its the Riders. I get it, its a bomber fan site, but still the question stands.

Well, to be fair, who else could afford the "entirety" of those moves?

What can you point to to say the Eskimos bought that team?  When did the SMS start? I've seen people say they bought Grey Cups but no one every seems to provide evidence.

The 80's were a while ago,has anyone ever given an example to support this or is it the usual jealousy turning fiction into fact?

The irony of a Regina fan saying any team "bought cups" is so much larger than the word irony was ever meant to contain.

I just asked about Calgary. Do you have a answer?  Hamilton signed Austin for big money and Tillman while collecting welfare from the league and paying Cortez who they had fired, I'm sure that wasn't expensive. Wally and Tedford?  Tedford came up to the cfl from the ncaa for pocket change? meanwhile they were paying Benevides who they fired.   Who else can afford it? any team in the league that's who. Unless numbers can be provided that prove the riders have spent more money on coaches than anyone else in the league it is nothing more than sour grapes. One last thing, how is it that everyone is so sure O'Day is even going to have a job and be on staff when the season starts.

Kinda missed the point... it's not a matter of how much they are paying that irks some people... it's how they did it... by throwing cash at people already under contract... don't kid yourself into thinking Jones would have gone to Sask if not for the massive pay raise...

Just for the record... I'm not mad at the Riders for doing that ... I just wished the Bombers had instead!

I just asked about Calgary. Do you have a answer?  Hamilton signed Austin for big money and Tillman while collecting welfare from the league and paying Cortez who they had fired, I'm sure that wasn't expensive. Wally and Tedford?  Tedford came up to the cfl from the ncaa for pocket change? meanwhile they were paying Benevides who they fired.   Who else can afford it? any team in the league that's who. Unless numbers can be provided that prove the riders have spent more money on coaches than anyone else in the league it is nothing more than sour grapes. One last thing, how is it that everyone is so sure O'Day is even going to have a job and be on staff when the season starts.

This sounds like the answer to the Eskimos buying Grey Cups saga.

Wouldn't have liked it while it was going down but I would have preferred the whole Eskimo coaching staff going to the Bombers as well.

I actually applaud the Riders for having the balls to do what we should have done.

Anyone else in the league, if they had the opportunity, would do the exact same thing. People can criticize us all they want, but why shouldn't we hire all those coaches from Edmonton? There is no strict rule regarding this, so there is no reason to complain about it.

I actually applaud the Riders for having the balls to do what we should have done.

Anyone else in the league, if they had the opportunity, would do the exact same thing. People can criticize us all they want, but why shouldn't we hire all those coaches from Edmonton? There is no strict rule regarding this, so there is no reason to complain about it.

Translation, we cried like little ******* about Edmonton but now that we have money its totally ok. Its wrong for others to have spent $$ in the past but when we repeatedly violate the SMS, we make excuses or its for the good of the league because we are Canada's team.

Rider fans have their heads so far up their collective asses they fail to see the hypocricy and why others hate them.

I do think that CFL teams should have to adhere to some type of front office/ coaching cap.

Yeah, yeah, I've heard the arguments -- business owners should be free to spend what they want, save the cap for the on-field only, blah blah. 

But this is the CFL. It's perpetually a season or two away from extinction. In fact, its already awash in apathy, at least in area codes like 416, 905, and 604.

The more parity in the league, the better. 

Rider fans, continuing to miss the point. Your franchise suffers envy of the esks and wants to be like them. All those cups they won and the fans screamed bloody murder about it because they had money to throw around. Now the Riders have money to throw around and don't give a **** about pissing people off to do it, ie. becoming the Esks, and the fans are all "so? It's no big deal, they hate us cause they ain't us" 

Just the biggest ******* hypocrites going and it's the reason no one likes your sad sack team and has nothing but contempt for the fan base. 

The Riders did what many other teams have done. Hervey could have denied the right to talk to Jones. He didn't. IMHO all this crying is just envy because we have proven losers running this organization while Sask went out and hired proven winners. Despite Sask's record last season they have many more quality players on the roster and it should be very easy to turn the team around. Bombers ... Not so much.

"IT'S TIME AGAIN FOR A CFL SPENDING CAP; IT SAVED THE RIDERS ONCE"

This is not my headline, it's a headline from somebody who's covered the Riders for the last 20 years - Darrell Davis, who's covered the Riders for the Regina Leader-Post. He's probably not the only one with that opinion, but no matter, he is reiterating what has been discussed recently in this thread.

- "As the league’s wealthiest franchise the Roughriders can afford the extravagance, but is it right?

The way the Roughriders are spending money, it’s time for the CFL to put in place an administrative salary cap, much like the league prudently implemented in 1987 to put a lid on costs.

That initial spending cap included the cost of players’ salaries, training camp, coaches’ salaries, scouting expenses and other sundries designed to create a level playing field in the CFL. It was also designed to save the poorer franchises in the CFL.

"Teams like the financially strapped Saskatchewan Roughriders."

- "Piece by piece all those extra costs were taken out of the cap, until only players’ salaries were capped. A Salary Management System was established in 2006 that dictated how much each CFL franchise could pay its players, with teams being closely audited to insure they don’t exceed the cap. Mild punishments will be imposed if they spent more than $5.05 million for their players in 2015."

- "The Roughriders were so poor in those early cap days, trying to stay competitive, that they carried heavy debts and were on the brink of folding several times. The provincial government ultimately forgave the team’s $2.8-million loan, giving the community-owned franchise some breathing room."

- "The Roughriders started becoming successful in 2007, partly because they changed how they operated and hired a fulltime CEO/president in Jim Hopson, but also because all CFL teams were adhering to a cap on players’ salaries. The Roughriders were allowed to become relevant, allowed to become competitive."

- "Hiring Jones is expensive — reports of his annual salary range from $500,000 to $750,000 annually. Meanwhile, the community-owned franchise is also paying his predecessors, Brendan Taman and Corey Chamblin, approximately $700,000 in 2016 and 2017 to not be the team’s general manager/VP and head coach, respectively. Taman and Chamblin were already paid about $350,000 for the second half of the 2015 season, after they were fired."

- " Few teams in the CFL can afford to pay so dearly for coaches and on-field management. That’s unfair. That’s why a cap should again be implemented for all CFL teams to make sure none have a financial advantage when it comes to being competitive. The Roughriders, of all teams, should know that a cap is a good, fair idea."

So, it's out there. It's a pretty complicated matter, but one that will now be looked at more carefully, I would think.

http://3downnation.com/2015/12/08/its-time-again-for-a-cfl-spending-cap-it-saved-the-riders-once/

The Riders did what many other teams have done. Hervey could have denied the right to talk to Jones. He didn't. IMHO all this crying is just envy because we have proven losers running this organization while Sask went out and hired proven winners. Despite Sask's record last season they have many more quality players on the roster and it should be very easy to turn the team around. Bombers ... Not so much.

This.

We continue to sputter our tires and when the Riders go out and make a ballsy move - jealous backlash.  By now we should have shown some progress with this new regime, but it really feels like we are throwing darts in a dark room hoping to hit the dartboard.  

I really hope one of our illustrious reporters (tongue firmly planted in cheek) writes an article about our poor scouting.

I want to our team to succeed, but the apathy is slowly permeating our fan base.  At this point I don't care who is coaching, or who the players are - I just want us to win.

Rider fans, continuing to miss the point. Your franchise suffers envy of the esks and wants to be like them. All those cups they won and the fans screamed bloody murder about it because they had money to throw around. Now the Riders have money to throw around and don't give a **** about pissing people off to do it, ie. becoming the Esks, and the fans are all "so? It's no big deal, they hate us cause they ain't us" 

Just the biggest ******* hypocrites going and it's the reason no one likes your sad sack team and has nothing but contempt for the fan base. 

What a ridiculous and childish post.  

You might be wise to remember that there is a very real possibility that the Bombers will be looking for a GM in the not so distant future and that Murphy will probably be at the top of that list.  When that time comes, I can GUARANTEE that you will be here saying "the Bombers better get this done" as opposed to "Yeah, he's good.  But I'd rather go with someone cheaper. We called out the Riders and their fans for spending money to get the best candidates last year.  I really don't want to look like a hypocrite". 

I am going to laugh when it fails. Chris Jones may be a genius but no guarantee it works. Look at the people who left the Patriots the past 15 years and non had any success. Just because it works one place does not mean works in another.

Also the cash cow the Riders think they have will not always be there. They made all this money in prime economic conditions things are about to take a dark turn in Saskatchewan. If things don't go well immediately I can see this going south fast. Oil at below $40 barrel is not a good thing.

You might be wise to remember that there is a very real possibility that the Bombers will be looking for a GM in the not so distant future and that Murphy will probably be at the top of that list.  When that time comes, I can GUARANTEE that you will be here saying "the Bombers better get this done" as opposed to "Yeah, he's good.  But I'd rather go with someone cheaper. We called out the Riders and their fans for spending money to get the best candidates last year.  I really don't want to look like a hypocrite". 

The riders will not get the way of Murphy getting more money and a promotion to come to Winnipeg either. Last winter Hall was relieved of his duties as DC, he never lost his job. He was scheduled to stay on with the Riders, but the team allowed him to interview for Bomber DC job. They then never stood in his way to leave, just as we had done a few years earlier when he went to Edmonton to be a head coach. No hard feelings to a man trying to better himself. we welcomed him back when the HC gig didn't work out. Hating the riders over this is ridiculous IMO. Just hate us for the regular reasons you had before, because we kick your butt every labor day. (:

no you missed the point. The point is let's all laugh at the hypocritical rider fans. Some of us remember the past and rider fans are acting like the people they once upon a time swore were the evil empire.

That's funny shouldn't we be envying a winning team as well? Hell I'm ready to envy any CFL team that gets to .500