Eskimo name change?

How soon before people start complaining about the Padres, Saints, Braves, Pirates, Yankees, Blackhawks................... What about Cardinals, Ducks, Coyotes, Panthers, Bruins etc, who will speak up for those beautiful creatures ?

Like I said on the Washington Redskins thread, what about our team? How many people will be offended by the name "Bombers"? I watched the NFL Network show about the high school team in Barrow, Alaska. The kids in Barrow call themselves Eskimos & not inuit. They were proud of their "Eskimo" history  I heard them refer to that name at least once or twice during the show when they were describing their way of life. I guess they're too young & ignorant to know the word Eskimo offends some guy thousands of miles away in a suit living in Toronto. Or some Inuits across the border in Canada.

We all know how this will end. Might as well start the renaming contest now.

I suggest Esquires so we can still call them the Esks. I don't know what the hell an Esquire is though.

In the US mostly related to the law profession down there, I believe. You can be a lawyer with the designation Esq. So,  Atomic, Esq. Attorney At Law. 

In the UK - a title above a gentleman and below a knight.  Not really used as such anymore.  

In US - normally used as a title for lawyers

In Canada, for lawyers instead of Esq we have QC. So, Joe Smith,QC. It stands for Queens Counsel. During the reign of a male monarch, it is referred to as Kings Counsel. They are judicial appointments usually based on merit that includes years of service in the law profession. Each province do their appointments differently. Quebec stopped these appointments entirely in 1975 & Ontario foillowed in 1985. They have replaced it with another designation. However even though Ontario doesn't call these appointments  "Queens Counsel" anymore as they use another designation, lawyers that are honoured can still use the letters QC after their names if they want to. 

In Alberta here the Lieutennant Governor still appoints Queens Counsel. Not sure if Manitoba does the same. 

I think zoned is just trying to make a name for himself by stirring the pot. I've read a lot of comments by Inuit people saying that the word Eskimo is commonly used amongst their own people and is not an offensive term. Hell, it's like having a team named after you.

Like I said on the Washington Redskins thread, what about our team? How many people will be offended by the name "Bombers"? I watched the NFL Network show about the high school team in Barrow, Alaska. The kids in Barrow call themselves Eskimos & not inuit. They were proud of their "Eskimo" history  I heard them refer to that name at least once or twice during the show when they were describing their way of life. I guess they're too young & ignorant to know the word Eskimo offends some guy thousands of miles away in a suit living in Toronto. Or some Inuits across the border in Canada.

Well having spent a good few years in Nunavut (NWT then) I can tell you the 'Eskimo' is absolutely an offensive word to every inuit I ever met.  I love the Eskimo name and history, and I wish people wouldn't take these things so seriously, but it's a slippery slope and at some point there will be a change, I'm sure of it - so why not be proactive and forward-thinking?

It is my understanding that the indigenous people of Alaska will often refer to themselves as Eskimos, whereas the indigenous people of Canada tend to find that term offensive.  It's similar to how some members of the Planes people find the word Sioux offensive, prefering the use of Dakota, Lakota, Oglala etc, while others don't have an issue with it.

Of course it's offensive. Everything is offensive today. Someone doesn't like something so of course it's offensive. I can understand Redskins. But Eskimos?

It's as outdated and derogatory as "Indian" in Canada. Only surprise is that this hasn't been an issue in the last 20-30 years. Speaks to how much of an afterthought the Inuit people are more than anything.

I think zoned is just trying to make a name for himself by stirring the pot. I've read a lot of comments by Inuit people saying that the word Eskimo is commonly used amongst their own people and is not an offensive term. Hell, it's like having a team named after you.

Think of another word that might fit that description and the chances of a team being nicknamed that...

Of course it's offensive. Everything is offensive today. Someone doesn't like something so of course it's offensive. I can understand Redskins. But Eskimos?

It's as outdated and derogatory as "Indian" in Canada. Only surprise is that this hasn't been an issue in the last 20-30 years. Speaks to how much of an afterthought the Inuit people are more than anything.

Considering they make up what, 0.5% of our population?

So, if the Eskimos in Alaska don't feel it's derogatory why should the Eskimos change their name? The Eskimo brand & logo is worldwide not just Canada. Like I said, Redskin yes, I think it should be changed.

There's no argument beyond the absurd to justify sports nicknames that characterize a group of people based on their race or ethnicity.

If a group of African Americans don't feel that n***** is derogatory and use the word, should a team in Calgary feel free to name themselves the n*****s? Your example for "Eskimos" is just as absurd.

The only good thing about the Eskimos is that they've never really used a human mascot for as long as I can remember.

Eskimo refers to Russian Siberians, it has nothing to do with Canadian Inuits. Except for those who want to stir up ****.

In February 2010, scientists reported they had performed the first genome sequencing of an ancient human. Using fragments of hair 4,000 years old, the National Museum of Denmark, Beijing Genomics Institute, and additional collaborating scientific institutions sequenced nearly 80% of a Paleo-Eskimo man's genome. The man was found in Greenland and believed to be from the prehistoric Saqqaq culture.

Based on the genome, the scientists believe there was a distinct, separate migration of peoples from Siberia to North America some 5,500 years ago. They noted that this was independent of earlier migrations whose descendants comprised the historic cultures of Native Americans as well as of the later migration by the Inuit. By 4,500 years ago, descendants of this migration had reached Greenland. The remains used for analysis were found in a Saqqaq culture area.[3]

The scientists reported that the man, dubbed "Inuk", had A+ blood type and genes suggesting he was adapted to cold weather, had brown eyes, brownish skin, dark hair, and would have likely balded later in life. This marked the first sequencing of an ancient human's genome and the first sequencing of an ancient human's mitochondrial genome.[4]