Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

37 minutes ago, Ripper said:

And he is Canadian, which is huge, and a hell of a lot cheaper than Medlock.

So, I've seen this notion before, especially on the Rider forum,  that we paid too much to sign Medlock to kick winning field goals for the Bombers. Even though we had built in a salary for such an occasion. Even though he's the best kicker in the league at this time. Even though we arguably lost 3-4 games because of kicking last year. Sometimes you have to step up and pay the guy because the guy is going to step up and play for you.....Even though that may win you some games.

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

So, I've seen this notion before, especially on the Rider forum,  that we paid too much to sign Medlock to kick winning field goals for the Bombers. Even though we had built in a salary for such an occasion. Even though he's the best kicker in the league at this time. Even though we arguably lost 3-4 games because of kicking last year. Sometimes you have to step up and pay the guy because the guy is going to step up and play for you.....Even though that may win you some games.

Totally true. Its give and take. The money has to come at the expense of a player elsewhere and the ratio adjusts. Medlock's winning field may not happen because of blown coverage by a Canadian in the secondary or a blown tackle by a Canadian linebacker. Its risk for reward. I will agree that without doubt Medlock is the best kicker right now in the league so good on you guys for getting him. He will make a play at a opportune time to likely win a game somewhere along the way. But don't discount that your ratio will suffer because of it. If you feel your Canadian content is good enough to cover for it than its not a issue. Myself I don't see it 

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Totally true. Its give and take. The money has to come at the expense of a player elsewhere and the ratio adjusts. Medlock's winning field may not happen because of blown coverage by a Canadian in the secondary or a blown tackle by a Canadian linebacker. Its risk for reward. I will agree that without doubt Medlock is the best kicker right now in the league so good on you guys for getting him. He will make a play at a opportune time to likely win a game somewhere along the way. But don't discount that your ratio will suffer because of it. If you feel your Canadian content is good enough to cover for it than its not a issue. Myself I don't see it 

You're largely overstating the impact of a Canadian kicker towards the ratio. You act as if it counts as a number towards the seven starters. It doesn't.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

You're largely overstating the impact of a Canadian kicker towards the ratio. You act as if it counts as a number towards the seven starters. It doesn't.

I'm not a expert on the ratio but you are limited in DI spots. Using one for Medlock is import when injuries come and they will. Neufeld has had trouble staying healthy, who is your Canadian backing him up? My guess is you guys will at some point this season have a Import tackle playing on your Oline. Hurl is just plain bad so starting him in Lieu of a American is a bad move IMHO. Gossen, Chung, Westerman,  Shologan, Harris are 5 solid starters for sure. Bucknor likely starts also. So with Neufeld there is your seven. I'd be worried about injuries if it was me. 

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I'm not a expert on the ratio but you are limited in DI spots. Using one for Medlock is import when injuries come and they will. Neufeld has had trouble staying healthy, who is your Canadian backing him up? My guess is you guys will at some point this season have a Import tackle playing on your Oline. Hurl is just plain bad so starting him in Lieu of a American is a bad move IMHO. Gossen, Chung, Westerman,  Shologan, Harris are 5 solid starters for sure. Bucknor likely starts also. So with Neufeld there is your seven. I'd be worried about injuries if it was me. 

Ah Ripper,

Do some research before you post. As of now, we can start Harris, Shologan, Westerman, Kolhert, Gossen, Neufeld and Chung to make the 7 NI starters. If needed, they could use Hurl, JFG or Bucknor. Potentially Waggoner is able to start this year. Ditto Couture. That's 10 guys who have started and 2 potentials.

I'd be more worried about the lack of NI starters and depth for you club.

Also Hamilton, Toronto and BC all DIed a kicker last year.

Edited by rebusrankin

I just don't get how Riders did not draft to get guys that could come in right away and at least play on special teams. Especially the Onyemata in the fourth there were guys there that could come in play right away.

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Ah Ripper,

Do some research before you post. As of now, we can start Harris, Shologan, Westerman, Kolhert, Gossen, Neufeld and Chung to make the 7 NI starters. If needed, they could use Hurl, JFG or Bucknor. Potentially Waggoner is able to start this year. Ditto Couture. That's 10 guys who have started and 2 potentials.

Don't forget Richards as a potential. Or sherman, or Thomas if we must. For the first time in a long time, we have plenty of options on the CND side of things.

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Ah Ripper,

For the record, I am concerned about our ratio situation.  Also I totally forgot about Kolhert. I also never said at any time that it couldn't work or no one has ever done it. I was simply stating that having a American kicker does have repercussions on roster when injuries happen and the juggling starts as it does every single year in this league. If starting rookies is how you guys are going to handle it then fine. One other thing, make sure to start Hurl and Bucknor against us please and thank you. 

15 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I just don't get how Riders did not draft to get guys that could come in right away and at least play on special teams. Especially the Onyemata in the fourth there were guys there that could come in play right away.

Onyemata signed 4 year deal with the Saints. 

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

For the record, I am concerned about our ratio situation.  Also I totally forgot about Kolhert. I also never said at any time that it couldn't work or no one has ever done it. I was simply stating that having a American kicker does have repercussions on roster when injuries happen and the juggling starts as it does every single year in this league. If starting rookies is how you guys are going to handle it then fine. One other thing, make sure to start Hurl and Bucknor against us please and thank you. 

First, Richards (though barely) Thomas, Sherman, Waggoner are not rookies. And Hurl and Bucknor were both playing for the 2 wins against ssk last year.

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

that was his point...

Because he is a good player and they believe he will return to the cfl. Players drafted a hell of a lot higher than the 4th round end up out of football in a hurry if they can't cut it in the NFL. They signed him, doesn't mean a lot more than that. 

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

First, Richards (though barely) Thomas, Sherman, Waggoner are not rookies. And Hurl and Bucknor were both playing for the 2 wins against ssk last year.

Being on the field in a victory against the Riders last year probably includes almost every player in the CFL so you'll have to add a little more depth to your response than that. Also How many CFL starts does Waggoner have again?

Also How many CFL starts does Waggoner have again?

Ah, I see you're finished with Medlock and moving onto Waggoner. Well, set your mind at ease. Waggoner is in good hands and his position on the team is solid. Waggoner is a gifted athlete, trained to play American football. When he turns the corner, in the CFL, you won't be asking about him any further.

Walters on Waggoner:

When Walters made the call to give up a 2016 first round draft pick last year for the services of Garrett Waggoner, the plan wasn’t to finish eighth in the league and lose the second overall pick. Still, the Bombers’ GM said Waggoner is off to a good start in his career and there are no regrets over the decision.

“For sure, when you look back at Garrett last year at his productivity vs. the other first round picks, I think he’s on point,” said Walters.

A 25-year-old Dartmouth graduate standing 6-foot-1, 225 pounds, Waggoner logged seven special teams tackles and one defensive tackle while getting his feet wet during his rookie season last year. The thinking is if Waggoner were in this year’s draft, he’d likely still be highly-touted.

“If Garrett was in the draft this year? Yeah, he’d be in the talk as a first-round pick,” said Walters.

“If you add him as the 10th guy in the first round, he played every game and with the exception of Nic Demski and Sukh Chungh he was the next most productive first round draft pick last year.”

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Seriously, do they teach reading comprehension in Saskatchewan? I named 7 starters and three additional players who have started. I then mentioned a rookie and a second year NI. We likely don't use rookies to manage it.

What do the Riders do when Bagg, Best or Chambers gets hurt? All three have injury issues.