Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

14 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I honestly can't even remember who our third stringer is at the moment. Willy-Nichols and Cato would be a great trio of Quarterbacks. 

Nicholls will be the gameday #2 and subs in whenever Will gets hurt. But Cato will jump to #1 the next game if Willy cant go. I really would like that set up.

I believe Cato has the talent, but I get the feeling he has some personal issues to deal with. No thanks. I thought Davis played rather well in the last season game of '15. Didn't Nichols sign a 1 year deal? I kind of think that if the season goes fairly well, we will be seeing the # 3 and #4 QBs take the stage to finish off some games. It is time to start grooming our next #1.

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Cato might be released this week according to twitter. It doesnt hurt to see him here.

Cutting Cato before TC doesn't make any sense, especially when there are 5 other untested QB's on that roster.  I can see Popp trying to trade him away for something of value if they're sold on Adams, Boyd or Bridges as their future.   Cato showed flashes last year and won some games early on so I'd think there would be a fair bit of interest in him.

10 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1  4h4 hours ago
Am told QB Rakeem Cato might be one of a number of #Als' veterans released this week. Team tried trading him recently.

I'm surprised they couldn't get anything for him. I don't think we have a need for him, but he would make a decent backup qb.

42 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Why trade for him when you know Popp is in a bind? They're keeping Adams and Glen. Chances are he has to release Cato and you get him for no cost.

True but...

If you trade for him, you're not going to compete for him with other teams. You also have a guarantee on the contract.

Who knows what they wanted in return though.

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

What? I'm real tired so i can't tell if this is a joke of some kind, or not. What's Pile O'Bones?

The city was originally known as "Pile of Bones"—the English translation of the Cree place name

"oskana kâ-asastêki" (lit. "Bones, which are piled")—because of the large amounts of buffalo bones on the banks of the Wascana Creek, a spring runoff channel rising some couple of kilometres to the east of Regina and gradually becoming a substantial coulee as it approaches the Qu'Appelle Valley some ten kilometres to the north.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Regina,_Saskatchewan

Edited by Fred C Dobbs

56 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Not shocking nobody is playing ball with Jimmy.  Why trade for a guy you can sign as a FA later in the week, after he's released.

No thanks to him here. Davis is a perfect #3 - familiar with the league & plenty of grooming to be done. Lots of room for improvement. 

I believe Sask. would get first crack so that's something to consider.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

5 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

He would be released. Would not apply.

Agreed, he would be fair game. He didn't want to come to Regina the first time, likely because he believed he had a better opportunity in Montreal to actually play. I can't see him viewing Regina any different now. I suspect if he gets no calls he will take whatever he can get. If he does get calls he will be looking for a home where he can be the clear number 2 guy. New management aside, Smith I suspect is our clear number 2 so again don't see the Riders as a option. Personally not sure I want us to even look at him. Red flags go up for me as to why he would be released ahead of Crompton, I suspect locker room issues or something else is at play.