Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

11 hours ago, J5V said:

"Evans is the CEO for Granny’s Poultry Cooperative while Gamey is the CEO and co-founder of Payworks. She is also the Past President of Southwood Golf and Country Club, the current Chair of the Prairie Theatre Exchange Foundation Trust and the former Chair of the Women’s Enterprise Centre."

Yeah, these are the kind of people we need running our football operations. Evans can probably get us a good deal on some turkey dinners and Gamey can get us some cheap payroll help. :-)

They aren't running football operations. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Good. It takes Montreal out of any other receivers the Bombers are interested in and limits Montreal's creative FA spending.

How is this good, Dee? We lost out on a great young receiver but hey the Winnipeg media was proclaiming on twitter that the Bombers had contacted Carter & were very, very interested. Made it sound like Winnipeg was going to be the landing spot for Carter. At least that is how I interpreted the media tweets. Didn't turn out that way.

Every CFL team was interested in Carter so why would that have been considered news? Not surprised he went to Montreal & I was actually expecting it. If the media is proclaiming that the Bombers contacted this guy but didn't sign him then that guy but didn't sign him etc then it makes Walters look inept or pretty clear that as an organization we don't want to spend the money. I just hope we sign Dressler.

Edited by iso_55

8 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

How is this good, Dee? We lost out on a great young receiver but hey the Winnipeg media was proclaiming on twitter that the Bombers had contacted Carter & were very, very interested. Made it sound like Winnipeg was going to be the landing spot for Carter. At least that is how I interpreted the media tweets. Didn't turn out that way.

Every CFL team was interested in Carter so why would that have been considered news? Not surprised he went to Montreal & I was actually expecting it. If the media is proclaiming that the Bombers contacted this guy but didn't sign him then that guy but didn't sign him etc then it makes Walters look inept or pretty clear that as an organization we don't want to spend the money. I just hope we sign Dressler.

Good. Get this out of the way early. Focus on receivers we can actually get. 

You said it yourself. Hardly anybody here saw Carter ending up with Winnipeg. He was going to Montreal unless somebody paid him big, big bucks. Turns out somebody did - Montreal.

Walters can't win in your eyes - don't go for him...get criticized. Go for him, don't get him...get criticized.

It makes sense to inquire about Carter, but it makes more sense to not make him the highest paid rec. in the league on our team. We need more pieces than just a receiver.

I don't believe there's anyone who believed this is a fail on Walter's part, so why bring it up?

not sure who puts the"interested"  and "close to"  on these talks. The players do it to stimulate interest in them, some teams do it to make it appear they are working it and in the hunt. I don't need to hear about it until contracts are register do the CFL office.       Close doesn't mean jack unless it's horseshoes, dancing, hand grenades  or turd fights.

22 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Good. Get this out of the way early. Focus on receivers we can actually get. 

You said it yourself. Hardly anybody here saw Carter ending up with Winnipeg. He was going to Montreal unless somebody paid him big, big bucks. Turns out somebody did - Montreal.

Walters can't win in your eyes - don't go for him...get criticized. Go for him, don't get him...get criticized.

It makes sense to inquire about Carter, but it makes more sense to not make him the highest paid rec. in the league on our team. We need more pieces than just a receiver.

I don't believe there's anyone who believed this is a fail on Walter's part, so why bring it up?

More of a complaint about the local media than Walters & pushing up fan expectations. Too much rah rah. Not blaming Kyle for this one.

5 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

not sure who puts the"interested"  and "close to"  on these talks. The players do it to stimulate interest in them, some teams do it to make it appear they are working it and in the hunt. I don't need to hear about it until contracts are register do the CFL office.       Close doesn't mean jack unless it's horseshoes, dancing, hand grenades  or turd fights.

Exactly.

12 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

With the two highest paid receivers on the payroll...it will be interesting to see how the Als will be able to keep the soon-to-be highest paid Olineman (OT Josh Bourke).

If the Als don't sign Harris as Qb this off season, I think they will have the cheapest combined salary for their top-2 Qbs assuming it's Cato and Glenn.  This will mitigate the impact of having the 2 most expensive receivers on the roster.

2 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

If the Als don't sign Harris as Qb this off season, I think they will have the cheapest combined salary for their top-2 Qbs assuming it's Cato and Glenn.  This will mitigate the impact of having the 2 most expensive receivers on the roster.

I can see Mtl. keeping Glenn, Crompton and Cato,  They're going to have a hard time convincing any of the remaining QB's to go back on the P.R. so expect Lefevour, Bridges and Boone will probably find spots as #2 or #3  QB's around the league.

21 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

So who do the Bombers target? We need more than just Dressler, and although I like Ryan Smith a lot, there just isn't enough size with a trio of those two and Denmark.

Yeah, I see this as a huge problem. We need a couple of big targets for Willy. I still think we should make a play for Bakari Grant. He has decent size and is youngish at 28.