Mike O'Shea runs poor practices.

dmillerywg

1) No one is demanding maximum effort in practice the coaches can't be heard from the stands and when the team has the record it has had the past 2 years that is not acceptable.

2) Players going 60-70% in scrimmage and the coaches seem ok with that.

3) Not NEARLY enough scrimmage TIME to work out the offensive plays so how does anyone expect the offense to improve ?

4) Too much time on special teams wasting everyones time, at this point you should have your special teams done and most of it can be done in the meeting rooms no need to waste time on the practice field...

Bottom line to me practices are not at an elite level to help the team improve and that is my biggest complaint of MOS

I have talked to others that know about how to run a FB practice and they agreed with me that the Bombers practices looks way to casual...

Didnt MOS admit the team looked unprepared for the first 31 minutes of the game?  Who's responsible for that?  I dont know about practice.  But if the players are unprepared who's ass should be on the line for that?

The players didn't show up...by their own admission...for the game. That is most definitely on them. It's gut check time in that dressing room. The leaders need to lead, and everyone needs to show up looking a lot less like they spent the night before in a Montreal strip club.

I would suggest that just because MOS played in the CFL it doesn't mean he can run a high level practice, I am not saying all of the practice is bad my main complaints are listed above, however   MOS isn't insisting on a high intensity of practice similar to how he doesn't seem to demand effort in the games and there is no ( at least public ) consiquences for poor play / effort.

MOS is clearly searching for answers if you listened to the coaches show he said "did I work the players too hard in practice" so he seems to think their performance in Montreal might be because he worked them too hard ? I am not suggesting anyone take my opinion, I simply presented it and was hoping others might have seen practice and would weight in with their thoughts.

Didnt MOS admit the team looked unprepared for the first 31 minutes of the game?  Who's responsible for that?  I dont know about practice.  But if the players are unprepared who's ass should be on the line for that?

The players didn't show up...by their own admission...for the game. That is most definitely on them. It's gut check time in that dressing room. The leaders need to lead, and everyone needs to show up looking a lot less like they spent the night before in a Montreal strip club.

IMO it was "gut check" time when Drew went down.  And we've failed since that check.

MOS is ultimately on the line for the players poor play because he has setup the environment where its ok to not be prepared.

I think the cutting of Simmons will send a message to the Special Teams he was dogging it on a number of plays that I saw and now that we have Wild we don't need Simmons anyway...

Players don't go full out in practice as they're wearing shoulder pads & helmets. Not in full gear.There are no more tackling or hitting drills in today's CFL like their used to be where the tempo of a practice was raised to a fever pitch because of the contact in the drills. Players now hit at THUD level which is a bit over half speed. In other words, make contact but don't drive thru the opposition player into the ground at full speed to avoid injuries. It looks lazy but it's not. In the 70's players wore full gear to practices & they did a lot more hitting than today. That just doesn't happen anymore. The NFL is the same way. Very rare for teams now to go full pads & gear during practice. 

Players don't go full out in practice as they're wearing shoulder pads & helmets. Not in full gear.There are no more tackling or hitting drills in today's CFL like their used to be where the tempo of a practice was raised to a fever pitch because of the contact in the drills. Players now hit at THUD level which is a bit over half speed. In other words, make contact but don't drive thru the opposition player into the ground at full speed to avoid injuries. It looks lazy but it's not. In the 70's players wore full gear to practices & they did a lot more hitting than today. That just doesn't happen anymore. The NFL is the same way. Very rare for teams now to go full pads & gear during practice. 

I am not asking for full pads or full contact, I know what a practice should look like I have coached and watched many of them.

What I am suggesting is that one of the reasons they are so bad on offence is they don't go full speed when running their plays.

And they don't spend enough time in practice working on Scrimmaging to prepare for the games.

Alright, let's just ask already... what pro teams have you coached? or even what teams have you coached for that matter?

What makes you the expert, are you the guy that sends his resume in to the bombers every year wanting a job as coach? is that you?

And just cuz you been to practice, it doesn't really mean you understand what practice should look like

You say you've run practices before, ever think you were doing it wrong? I mean seriously man, you tried this topic on the other site and MIKE and GCN11 ripped it to shreds... in case you haven't noticed, it's pretty much the same people over here too. 

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate the practice reports from people like yourself or gbill or whoever really but at the same time, you watching up in the stands or gbill watching up in the stands, you really have no clue what is actually happening. 

1) No one is demanding maximum effort in practice the coaches can't be heard from the stands and when the team has the record it has had the past 2 years that is not acceptable.

2) Players going 60-70% in scrimmage and the coaches seem ok with that.

3) Not NEARLY enough scrimmage TIME to work out the offensive plays so how does anyone expect the offense to improve ?

4) Too much time on special teams wasting everyones time, at this point you should have your special teams done and most of it can be done in the meeting rooms no need to waste time on the practice field...

Bottom line to me practices are not at an elite level to help the team improve and that is my biggest complaint of MOS

I have talked to others that know about how to run a FB practice and they agreed with me that the Bombers practices looks way to casual...

What do you mean by "at this point you should have your special teams done"?   There's never time when any facet of the game should be made less of a priority in practice, especially when we lack any level of consistency in this department.

I am not asking for full pads or full contact, I know what a practice should look like I have coached and watched many of them.

What I am suggesting is that one of the reasons they are so bad on offence is they don't go full speed when running their plays.

And they don't spend enough time in practice working on Scrimmaging to prepare for the games.

just keep piling on the arrogance... you do not know what a practise should look like unless you're a professional head coach in disguise. Are you a professional head coach?

So experts and former pro coaches... what should a practice look like? And unless you have been... perhaps commenting on them is pointless. I've come to the conclusion that sometimes people see what they want to see. Even if what's happening in front of them is the opposite

I have no idea what a pro practice should be like but one thing that has always kind of irked me a bit is how the Bombers last few coaches have allowed the team to take a few days off before getting back to work. Now don't get me wrong I do believe they should be allowed to take some time off and all but at the same time are they really good enough to take as much time as they do? What were practice schedules like in the past? Is there something in the collective agreement that sets time off?

I have no idea what a pro practice should be like but one thing that has always kind of irked me a bit is how the Bombers last few coaches have allowed the team to take a few days off before getting back to work. Now don't get me wrong I do believe they should be allowed to take some time off and all but at the same time are they really good enough to take as much time as they do? What were practice schedules like in the past? Is there something in the collective agreement that sets time off?

It's in the cba. Something about if you play on the road you get a travel day and a day off. Not sure exactly but it's similar to that. So Monday be travel. Tuesday be day off.