Mike O'Shea runs poor practices.

dmillerywg

This is my opinion so no need for flames for those that have not been to Bomber practices! Some of you guys are flaming guys who have been...what's your issue? go yourself and see what is happening. You don't have to be a professional coach to see a lot of what is happening in the practice. Not to hard to see what drills are taking place, for how long, and at what speed they are conducted. Sure there are times when teaching rather than speed and intensity are planned and implemented, understood...but much more of that in this regime. O'Shea has said many times he thinks he may be working the players too hard...not from what I have seen he's not.

I have seen several coaches for the bombers run practices, and all I can say is that the practices run by this regime generally do not stack up in terms of trying to emulate actual game conditions very often. In my opinion more of trying to emulate actual game conditions would be more beneficial. There is a big difference from how The Jets used to practice under Noel and how they are run now. They are much harder and more emulate game conditions in general.

my two cents...

I did a quick look at the CFL CBA (https://media.cfldb.ca/documents/cfl-cflpa-collective-agreement-2014.pdf) to find out what the practice rules actually are:

Article 6 - Practice times

6.02.5 - 1 a day practices during the season.

6.02.6 - 6 or more days between games players get a day off

I don't see anything about a day off after a travel day, but then again, I didn't read the whole thing.

It looks like we aren't practicing the maximum amount of time that's allowed in the CBA. If we were winning or even well prepared then this wouldn't be an issue, but we're not, so it's a problem.

I did a quick look at the CFL CBA (https://media.cfldb.ca/documents/cfl-cflpa-collective-agreement-2014.pdf) to find out what the practice rules actually are:

I don't see anything about a day off after a travel day, but then again, I didn't read the whole thing.

It looks like we aren't practicing the maximum amount of time that's allowed in the CBA. If we were winning or even well prepared then this wouldn't be an issue, but we're not, so it's a problem.

If you really believe that then I don't know what to say... You admit you didn't read the whole thing and then you also assume that travel days are a day off? Guaranteed they are practising the maximum amount they are allowed to. Too many people stuck in the past where coaches in their mind are supposed to be a ruthless task master. That doesn't work in professional sports anymore. 

If you really believe that then I don't know what to say... You admit you didn't read the whole thing and then you also assume that travel days are a day off? Guaranteed they are practising the maximum amount they are allowed to. Too many people stuck in the past where coaches in their mind are supposed to be a ruthless task master. That doesn't work in professional sports anymore. 

Not true.  Mike O'Shea has openly said they don't.  He says he prefers the players to be fresh and that they can't execute if they are overworked and if their bodies haven't recovered form the previous game. 

Your reading comprehension is as good as ever. I read section 6 practice times and it didn't mention travel days. I'm not assuming that travel days are a day off. Lots of folks around here have said they are, but that doesn't make it true. Your guarantee that they are practicing the maximum amount of time doesn't mean anything and it's frankly wrong.

You have nothing to back up that theory at all!