Austin bumps Stala - pays $5,000 fine

kelownabomberfan

Austin did what his players couldn't. If a player goes after Stala they would likely be suspended. With Austin doing it, the players get to play and the team doesn't suffer.

Sooooooooo you support what he did?

Which is absolute insanity if you do.. You want "revenge" for whatever he allegedly did (cuz you are assuming stala had it coming for some weird reason) you do it between the whistles..

You dont thug out as a coach, thats asinine. A coach should NEVER touch an opposing player. Ever. EVER EVER. The fact that i need to explain is is astounding!

Austin did what his players couldn't. If a player goes after Stala they would likely be suspended. With Austin doing it, the players get to play and the team doesn't suffer.

You think that love tap got back at Stala? Obviously intentional though.

I don't know if the CFL can suspend a coach but this is deserving of a game in addition to the fine.  Absolutely repulsive. Woody Hayes 2.0 

Can't stand Stala, Yap, yap, yap, yap. Which is exactly what he was doing at the Ti Cat sideline. Yeah, Austin shouldn't have done what he did but whatever... He did it to Stala. If it was Dressler or Kohlert I'd be going WTH as they are guys that don't draw attention to  themselves by being annoying mouthpieces. I don't condone what he did but I understand why.

Good for Austin....he sent a message....he bumped the guy....big deal....get off the opposition sidelines and stay out of the bench area

Apparently it was a big enough deal to get him fined.

If you think it's fine for Austin to behave in this fashion, then his players now have free reign to take reactionary penalties to send 'messages'.

No more TiCat-Argo games this season unless they happen to meet in the playoffs.

If that be the case and I'm Austin, I'd stand some distance from the sidelines should an unintentional event befall him.

You think that would happen? You think this is a Slapshot movie? Years ago I went to a Grey cup game and now I am forgetting which one. We ate in a mall restaurant and the next table over was a couple of players. You know how football and basketball players are a little conspicuous especially in certain positions. I kind of listened into the conversation (not eavesdropping or anything) and they were discussing a player who had been headhunting. They were saying that this guy doesn't understand that this is a business and the game is a workplace where they have to look out for each other. It is too easy for careers to end. They said you have to be responsible to the players on your team and the players on all the other teams. 

In no way was Austin going to hurt the guy but for the head coach to act that way, it is going to encourage more blatant behaviour in your team. You might as well wrap your knuckles in tin foil and put on the plastic eyeglasses. 

It was barely off the sideline and the play took him there..

Man, how this concept of respect your oponent and sportsmanship eludes some of you...

How's this for sportsmanship. I was on facebook yesterday & a bunch of former Eskimos were posting about Deon Lacey & his actions the past 2 games the Esks played vs the Stamps during the coin toss. How Lacey refused to shake BLM's hand as well as trash talking him when they were on the field facing one another.

The former Eskies (about 5 players) all said to a man that that **** like this goes on all the time, that it was about time an Eskimo did that to a Stampeder, who gives a damn about sportsmanship, football is all about intimidation & getting into your opponents head  & we as fans are totally clueless not having any idea about what goes on during a game as 99% of us have never played pro football. So therefore, we have no business criticizing their world for what Lacey did.

If that is how players view the coin toss maybe that explains what Austin did. The former Eskies are basically saying that they have a code we don't understand as fans. So, because we don't understand we should butt out of what went on as it's no big deal. It's part of the game. 

To me, as a fan.... I care about sportsmanship as I believe in the integrity of the game. I believe, what Lacey did was worse than Austin's actions. Austin let his emotions get the best of him & was caught up in the moment. What Lacey did TWICE what deliberate & planned out. To me, that made it worse. He attacked that integrity in my opinion.

I've got no problem with Austin's actions. I laughed at it when I saw it. I knew there would be a lot of folks around here who'd read a lot into it and would take the opportunity to rag on Austing for it. I don't believe for a moment that it was unintentional. The $5000 fine makes perfect sense to me. 

Out of curiosity, for the people who are OK with Austin's behaviour... would you be as accepting if the situation was reversed (ie Stala intentionally going after Austin)?  People have brought up Stala's reputation as a loudmouth but Austin has a rep of being an @sshole (and this just adds to it) so is he fair game for players now too?

Personally, I don't think coaches/players should ever come into contact like that... if the coach has a problem, get a player to send a message.

Trash talk as a form of intimidation is accepted now unfortunately . What's not accepted and never should be is coaches hitting players, however lightly. To me it's in the same category as a player pushing a ref.

Overall I miss football the way it used to be played. It was always rough but WAY fewer penalties. They say you gotta win 2 of the 3 phases of the game but the way it is now they should add a fourth phase, penalties.  Who won the penalties? Do you ever look at a big play anymore and NOT check for flags? Adding more rules has not improved the game, it has made it worse.

Out of curiosity, for the people who are OK with Austin's behaviour... would you be as accepting if the situation was reversed (ie Stala intentionally going after Austin)?  People have brought up Stala's reputation as a loudmouth but Austin has a rep of being an @sshole (and this just adds to it) so is he fair game for players now too?

Personally, I don't think coaches/players should ever come into contact like that... if the coach has a problem, get a player to send a message.

It shouldn't happen but it does. To me, all Austin was doing was establishing the sidelines as HIS turf & to give Stala a message to get off the Ti Cats bench. Stala was yapping & carrying on like he always does. Now, if Austin took a swing at him I'd feel different. This was a push. Not even a big one. But really, in the end Austin was fined, apologized & case closed. Doesn't matter what I think. 

It shouldn't happen but it does. To me, all Austin was doing was establishing the sidelines as HIS turf & to give Stala a message to get off the Ti Cats bench. Stala was yapping & carrying on like he always does. Now, if Austin took a swing at him I'd feel different. This was a push. Not even a big one. But really, in the end Austin was fined, apologized & case closed. Doesn't matter what I think. 

Bang on! At least we know Austin has a pulse. O'Shea, just a stunned smirk.