Kudos to Doug Brown

Floyd

Yea we definitely need more ranting freakouts like kavis reed had in edmonton cuz gosh darnit, that solved all his coaching woes!

The video I posted of Kavis was a JOKE. A JOKE, people. Get a grip. Kavis lost it saying in the video that there had to be consequences & there weren't. Why wouldn't anyone take that 10 second video for what it was... a joke? I didn't think I had to explain it.

i know it was iso but people are legitimately saying we need a coach like this on our sideline because oshea is too quiet.. too reserved..

i was just pointing out how dumb those people are lol.

The best coach Brown had was Richard Harrie RIP.

Richard Harris was quite likely the best coach this team has had since Dave Ritchie so I don't know what the point is. 

My point simply was that Brown was a guy who I think struggled to self motivate and he needed some kind of outside motivation whether it was the disrespect Ritchie hyped up in 2001 or whatever it was. 

Browns big flaw is assuming every player should be like him and need that outside motivation rather than having it come from somewhere else. 

Richard Harris was quite likely the best coach this team has had since Dave Ritchie so I don't know what the point is. 

My point simply was that Brown was a guy who I think struggled to self motivate and he needed some kind of outside motivation whether it was the disrespect Ritchie hyped up in 2001 or whatever it was. 

Browns big flaw is assuming every player should be like him and need that outside motivation rather than having it come from somewhere else. 

And one of O'Shea's major flaws is assuming that all players are self-motivated and self-disciplined, just like he was. 

And one of O'Shea's major flaws is assuming that all players are self-motivated and self-disciplined, just like he was. 

How do we know he's like that? We don't know what he says behind closed doors. 

How do we know he's like that? We don't know what he says behind closed doors.
He's said that's his philosophy in dealing with players.

Yea we definitely need more ranting freakouts like kavis reed had in edmonton cuz gosh darnit, that solved all his coaching woes!

The video I posted of Kavis was a JOKE. A JOKE, people. Get a grip. Kavis lost it saying in the video that there had to be consequences & there weren't. Why wouldn't anyone take that 10 second video for what it was... a joke? I didn't think I had to explain it.

i know it was iso but people are legitimately saying we need a coach like this on our sideline because oshea is too quiet.. too reserved..

Which people?  I'm not one for a ranting coach on the sidelines (see Doug Berry in several instances).  Someone who shows a little animation at certain times is fine (Huff).  Maybe that is what some people here are advocating for.  But if you want to construe forum members' wishes for someone to do more then just stand there with the same look on their face the entire game as wanting an out-of-control ranter go right ahead.  That's your misinterpretation.

Doug Brown is also a bit of a different player. He's the kind of guy who needed an ass kicker as a coach which is why he liked Dave Ritchie, but that's not a common thing.

I call BS on this. Doug Brown was a consumate pro always ready to play.You forget he was in the NFL before being an all star here? Check your facts before you make a silly statement.

Which people? I'm not one for a ranting coach on the sidelines (see Doug Berry in several instances). Someone who shows a little animation at certain times is fine (Huff). Maybe that is what some people here are advocating for. But if you want to construe forum members' wishes for someone to do more then just stand there with the same look on their face the entire game as wanting an out-of-control ranter go right ahead. That's your misinterpretation.

i have read more then one account of "i wish oshea would scream at people" on this board in recent months.. not my fault you are not following all topics....

Doug Brown is also a bit of a different player. He's the kind of guy who needed an ass kicker as a coach which is why he liked Dave Ritchie, but that's not a common thing.

I call BS on this. Doug Brown was a consumate pro always ready to play.You forget he was in the NFL before being an all star here? Check your facts before you make a silly statement.

And there were credible reports that during the Jim Daley era, the defence was so screwed up that Brown was actually calling the defensive sets during games.

Doug playing in the NFL and being a consummate pro (both facts never disputed in 17's post) have zero to do with the way he responds to coaching... some guys prefer an ass-kicking coach... some prefer a more encouraging one... Doug Brown responded to ass-kicking coaches...

Doug playing in the NFL and being a consummate pro (both facts never disputed in 17's post) have zero to do with the way he responds to coaching... some guys prefer an ass-kicking coach... some prefer a more encouraging one... Doug Brown responded to ass-kicking coaches...
Then how do you explain all star selections under different styles of coaches? Doug Brown was a pro didn't matter who the coach was, he left it on the field. Just like Milt they were ready to play no matter what.Read 17 -85 post he said Doug Brown NEEDS a tough coach to perform I say Bulls hit.

Then how do you explain all star selections under different styles of coaches? Doug Brown was a pro didn't matter who the coach was, he left it on the field. Just like Milt they were ready to play no matter what.Read 17 -85 post he said Doug Brown NEEDED a tough coach to perform I say Bulls hit.

Nobody's disputing how great Doug Brown is, and I'll tell you right now that 17to85 is one of the biggest DB97 fans there's ever been. All he's saying is that he needed to be motivated differently than some others...now, sometimes that's Ritchie, kicking his ass, or maybe it was Greg Marshall (who changed DBs career by making him a true Nose Tackle for the first time in his career) that was a true fire-breather, or maybe it was Richard Harris, who, at times, I'm sure could put a boot in your ass. 

There's more than one coach on the team for players to respond to....and there's a lot of evidence to support the fact that Doug Brown was the kinda guy who needed an ass kicking rather than a hug, and maybe....just maybe........he expects the same from every other player, whether right or wrong.

Nobody's disputing how great Doug Brown is, and I'll tell you right now that 17to85 is one of the biggest DB97 fans there's ever been. All he's saying is that he needed to be motivated differently than some others...now, sometimes that's Ritchie, kicking his ass, or maybe it was Greg Marshall (who changed DBs career by making him a true Nose Tackle for the first time in his career) that was a true fire-breather, or maybe it was Richard Harris, who, at times, I'm sure could put a boot in your ass.

There's more than one coach on the team for players to respond to....and there's a lot of evidence to support the fact that Doug Brown was the kinda guy who needed an ass kicking rather than a hug, and maybe....just maybe........he expects the same from every other player, whether right or wrong.

Show me the evidence the guy was consistent throughout his career didn't matter if it was Ritchie or Lapolice.Maybe he preferred it because he thought it made for a more competitive team but he didn't NEED it to perform.The proof is in his career as one of the best dlinemen to have played in the CFL.

If I was O'Shea I might have turned it around and ask a Brown how it was dealt with when he was playing and how would he deal with it? See what he might have come up with.

Instead, O'Shea got very indignant and said he wasn't going to get into it. When Brown tried to rephrase the question in a kinder light O'Shea got even more indignant and rude. Not very professional.