Bombers interested in Jasper Simmons, UPDATE: Signed to PR

gbill2004

@PentonKirk: Jasper Simmons' agent won't confirm #Bombers are in mix. All Sammy Gahagan says is "multiple teams" have contacted him.

Did he tweet him before or after his nightly bottle of scotch?  I'd check again at midnight if I were Penton...

I'm sure that a number of teams will talk to him, but I don't really think anyone is "desperate" to get him.   If they were, they could have traded a late draft pick or a neg list player to Calgary and got him without a bidding war.  Calgary would have been happy to get something rather than nothing, and the buying team would have locked him up under his current contract.

Interest: yes.   Desperate or bidding war:  no.

So when Simmons is released, is he eligible to sign a completely new contract or can the team choosing him say they will pick up the remainder of his contract, and is that scenario supported by the CBA? Waivers I'm thinking yes, he keeps his contract. Released, he starts from scratch?

I suppose if the tweets are they are negotiating, then he starts fresh.

Our LB corps really hasn't been an area of concern for awhile now, but you can always get better (look at the Blue Jays...). Even if the guy is only starting on ST, that's okay, too. Have him rotate in on certain packages here and there, on D. 

If the idea is to start him, how does that work with the ratio?  What changes will the Bombers have to make?

We are starting 8 Cdn, we only have to start 7. Just move back Hurl as backup. Can the Bombers re-structure his contract?

As has been mentioned a lot lately, Hurl has been playing well...getting better every week. I really don't think they're going to move him from that spot. Simmons likely plays ST for now.Maybe rotates in to some D spots...

If the idea is to start him, how does that work with the ratio? What changes will the Bombers have to make?

We are starting 8 Cdn, we only have to start 7. Just move back Hurl as backup. Can the Bombers re-structure his contract?

He gets $120k base salary, plus $1k per start.

If the idea is to start him, how does that work with the ratio?  What changes will the Bombers have to make?

As has been mentioned a lot lately, Hurl has been playing well...getting better every week. I really don't think they're going to move him from that spot. Simmons likely plays ST for now.Maybe rotates in to some D spots...

My post is just an answer to the bolded part.

If the idea is to start him, how does that work with the ratio? What changes will the Bombers have to make?

He gets $120k base salary, plus $1k per start.

In that case, just move him back as backup MLB, pretty sure almost half of the 120k is paid already. And what's the 10k he will miss, right? ;)

Interesting.  We would be getting better.  I'd prefer he'd get an agent who isn't an assclown, but the assclown got the results he wanted, so Simmons is going to be happy.

He won't get starts but he will get snaps.  This likely takes Littlejohn off the 46 to make room.

I haven't seen enough of Simmons to know if he's an awesome fit for what Ritchie Hall is running here, but great players will find ways to make plays.

And to the notion in another thread that the Bombers aren't trying to win this year, I don't know what that poster is inhaling.  Walters continues to aggressively go after the players he wants.

Apparently the Riders offered Simmons more money, but he prefers the situation in Winnipeg. 

Who said that? If true, that's fantastic.

That's what I tweeted to him too. ;)

I said to him, go to the Bombers who is technically 3rd in the west and hold the tie-breaker vs BC... instead of 0-7 Riders and who will be on fire sell after this week. :D