"Make him throw from the pocket"

johnzo

I got a question for people who know football:

So you're a DC and you're facing a rookie QB. You want to force him to throw from the pocket. What kinds of defences do you call to do that?

Say you're the rookie QB operating against that defence. What opportunities are going to open up when the D is concentrated on keeping you bottled up?

Well, Short passes, 5 yard passes, if the D is concentrating on containing you, short little passes could probably turn in to long gains, screen passes, play action type stuff, gotta use the run game... if the D gets to greedy at times, look for the long one over the top.

Discipline from the d-line to contain, not crash down on play actions and fakes and to a lesser extent..tone down their rush. 

For the Q.B...Mix in some draws and play action off tackle stuff...quick slants and crosses and I would work in a lot of sweeps, option plays and make the d-end have to choose who to commit to...then when they get too accustomed to that and are trying to figure that out, you nail em with out and ups and fly/post routes because the middle is gonna open up with the safety vacating

It's not like Marve is the first gifted runner to play QB in the league, it's just that his inexperience at the position makes it more likely he'll default to running when he sees something he's unfamiliar with.  Which could be often.  So they don't need a new gameplan for Marve, they just need to remind the ends that they cannot cheat inside and have to make contain their first and second priority.

If that's not working and Marve is still getting loose while not doing much damage with his arm, I would start cheating some of the secondary closer to the line to help with contain/pursuit, and hope the safety can fill into those holes left open.

And if I'm Marve my goals are simple.  Try to get a handle on the defence they're showing and any potential blitzers, try to not bail on the pocket before making my second read at minimum.  If he's studied the film and knows his playbook, he should be able to handle both those.  If it still breaks down into a track meet after that, so be it.

If I'm Toronto's DC, I bring every type of blitz I have until the O Line and Marve both prove they can beat it. I'd have the DE's come in square to reduce the chance of Marve getting outside.  I wouldn't spy Marve with a LB unless I really had to because I'd rather send them on a blitz or use them in coverage.

If I'm Winnipeg's OC, I use the CFL standard ride and decide play a lot on first down and on 2nd and short. I call quick slants because Marve only has to read if the guy is open or not then get outta the pocket if he isn't. I throw in a few draws and screens. I make sure there are layered receivers so more than one guy's directly in Marves sightline. I make sure my receivers know their scramble  rules because they're going to need them.

If I'm Toronto's DC, I bring every type of blitz I have until the O Line and Marve both prove they can beat it. I'd have the DE's come in square to reduce the chance of Marve getting outside.  I wouldn't spy Marve with a LB unless I really had to because I'd rather send them on a blitz or use them in coverage.

If I'm Winnipeg's OC, I use the CFL standard ride and decide play a lot on first down and on 2nd and short. I call quick slants because Marve only has to read if the guy is open or not then get outta the pocket if he isn't. I throw in a few draws and screens. I make sure there are layered receivers so more than one guy's directly in Marves sightline. I make sure my receivers know their scramble  rules because they're going to need them.

I hope they do bring blitz after blitz against Marve and that Bellefeuille moves the pocket.

honestly I'd probably sit back and see if the young qb gets happy feet and whether he's going to throw the ball right to you or not. Game already moves fast for young players I am sort of opposite in that I think you might be able to catch them thinking they'll have less time than they do and making bad decisions as a result. Then when he realizes he's got more time you start to throw a lot more at him. 

The directive from Creehan will be to be diligent in not overpursuing.

Mostly this, basically work your way towards the QB as a group, stay in your rush lane.

I've seen teams put their DT's out wide and quicker guys inside against QB's who like to throw outside the pocket, the Bombers D this season has done that vs Collaros and Lulay.

Also will likely see a lot more 3-4 man rush with a couple guys spying and blitzing/dropping into zone on a delay.

If I were the Bombers and Marve can execute it, I would be tempted to go no-huddle for at least the first few plays to unsettle the TO defence. Argos will be expecting Marve to run and will have their linebackers up tight to the line, so the 5-8 yards slants, crossing patterns and hooks ought to be open a lot. Their safety will probably be brought up for coverage in that area, so if Veltung can break one up and out and Marve can hit him, we should get a few good gains.

I'm no expert but I really liked what Marve said today about running the offence at high tempo. Don't give the D time to rest. That has been sorely lacking. And it seems his skills are well-suited for the Gen3 spread-option running game along with a vertically-oriented passing game described here: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/2/19/8061667/the-future-of-the-dual-threat-quarterback-spread-option-Malzahn-Briles

As a DC.. definitely play a contain type rush with constant barking at DEs to not over comit. Have MLB stay at home until QB makes his decision and blitz often if he is starting to stay in the pocket

As an OC I would run lot of play action, fakes, delay draws and slants or crossing patterns.. If the DC is blitzing hard, do roll out to ome side of the field and find the one on one deep ball..

Definitely would try to run it down their throats until it stops working.

I'm no expert but I really liked what Marve said today about running the offence at high tempo. Don't give the D time to rest. That has been sorely lacking. And it seems his skills are well-suited for the Gen3 spread-option running game along with a vertically-oriented passing game described here: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/2/19/8061667/the-future-of-the-dual-threat-quarterback-spread-option-Malzahn-Briles

Man that guy is pumped and happy and anxious, and did I mention pumped? If his enthusiasm rubs off on the rest of the team, in any way..we got this.

On D, you gap cancel and have the ends play contain. Having some one spy the qb would help too. It pretty much puts you into zone coverage though. Usually you try and get as much pressure as possible on a rookie qb, marve is a very good runner, but i dont think weve seen how he responds to getting hit. 

Id show blitz a lot and drop, switch up blitzing and contain, use layers of zone (robber) and match zone to keep him from getting comfortable doing any thing.

On O, Establish the run. Especially with cam marshall. A lot of teams tend to go max protect, or use some one in the TE/h-back spot for constant blocking. It never seems to work very well (imop) as teams dont usually have great blocking backs or actual te's.  Id use the two back set weve been talking about all year. Lots of play action, some draws, shovel pass, block and release patterns, hitch screens etc. Short quick passes  and lots of pressure release valves. Id mix in some roll outs with crossing patterns as well. 

I have a feeling the players have confidence in Marve, unlike Brohm.

I have to agree... it's hard (nearly impossible) to interpret the mood of the team from watching live or on tv but it seemed evident that every game Brohm came into the entire team just seemed to fall back a step... especially in the Edm and first Ham game... I think the guys will rally behind Marve...

I got a question for people who know football:

So you're a DC and you're facing a rookie QB. You want to force him to throw from the pocket. What kinds of defences do you call to do that?

Say you're the rookie QB operating against that defence. What opportunities are going to open up when the D is concentrated on keeping you bottled up?

On D, most of it's been said our knowledgeable posters, I'd add in some half back blitzes and spy for QB sneaks, draws.

On O, take what they give me, so I now become an efficient pocket passer, establish the run, blend in screens, quick hits, with the occasional deep ball. Use a similar offensive gameplan we did with the Lions.

Oh special teams need to really step up and support our young QB, i.e., field position, field goals etc.

Result: Bombers 28 Argos 5 :-)