Does the New Convert Rule Improve the CFL?

BigBlue

LOVE or HATE the New Convert Rule?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this year's rule change on the convert (32 yard kick for 1 point, scrimmage from the 4 for 2 points)

• Yes I love it
    • I like it
    • I Don't really care, I am neutral on it
    • I dislike it
    • I hate it, it ruinns the game
    • Other, please explain
  2. 2. Would you like to see the league adopt the proposed the possible 3 point convert scrimmaging from the ten yard line?

3. 3. After a last second TD, would you go for the win with a two point convert, or play it safe by kicking a single for the tie?

• I would usually go for the two point convert and the win
    • I would occassionnally go for two point convert and the win
    • I am not sure what I would do
    • I would usually go for the one point convert and the tie
    • I would always go for the one point convert and the tie
    • Other, please explain

After watching the Toronto - Regina double overtime game, how do you think the new convert rule is affecting the CFL from a fan enjoyment perspective.

If you were Toronto's head coach, would you have gone "all or nothing" just before the end of regulation time going for the two point convert rather than kick the single to go into overtime? Although the odds are perhaps anti-percentage, Toronto could have controlled their own destiny with one play.

When the convert rule change was first proposed a couple years back, many posters decried the proposal as gimmicky and potentially ruining the game. One even said it was too exhausting for the players after the big climax of scoring a TD. Has any body changed their mind from negative to positive on the new convert rules?

In pre-season, (although I don't think anyone actually tried it this year), the league tested the possibility of having a 3 point convert, scrimmaging from the 10 yard line (which might allow a team to come back and tie the game when 9 points down). Is that too crazy, would that ruin the game or is it a good thing to keep the comeback team's hopes alive?

The only part of the new convert rules I like is having to go for 2 in overtime.

The 32 yard convert doesn't make sense.  Kick from the 32 after a TD = 1, without the TD =3.  FG inside the 32 = 3.  I doubt we ever see a convert missed and run back for 2 the other way.  By the end of the season I'll bet we see around a 90% 1 point convert rate, which means it isn't much different than the old convert.

The 3 yard 2 point convert was made to make coaches think twice about going for it. From the 5 it was a very low chance.  From the 3 it's closer to 50-50.  It still hasn't made many coaches go for 2 unless they absolutely have to.

A 3 point convert from the 10 wouldn't make me happy either.  I'm more interested in seeing the team that played the best win, rather than the team that's behind having a great chance of pulling out a victory.

As for going for 2 on the last play... Nope!  Tie the game up and play out the mini games.  Too much chance of going home with a loss if you go for 2.

"Do you like this year's rule change on the convert (32 yard kick for 1 point, scrimmage from the 4 for 2 points)"

I believe the two point convert this year is scrimmaged from the 3 yard line.

That was a typo that I think has been corrected

Thinking about the Toronto-Saskatchewan game, would you have liked to see it end, after Toronto drove the entire field to score a major, on a missed 1 point convert?

I wouldn't and that's why I really dislike the new convert.  Kicking is already a HUGE part of the Canadian game without adding to the difficulty of the convert.  I also think moving the 2 pt convert to the 3 just devalues points, and I'm not sure why teams aren't going for 2 more.  The Bombers are a good example.  That triple option with Marve, Cotton, Marshall that they run on short yardage would probably be about 80% on 2 pt converts over the long haul.

I'd rather they force teams to go for 2 from the 5 than any other change they've made, but personally I'd just leave it how it always was and let the players decide the games, not the kickers.

If you are going to remove the kick for a convert then I would suggest removing it entirely and have the pass/run convert from the 5 be worth only a single point. No reason for it to be worth 2 if there is no single point option.

However I enjoy the strategic aspect of choosing to go for one or go for two. The problem is that it wasn't much of a decision anymore so we rarely saw teams go for 2. Now the decision is tougher, generating more discussion and ultimately becoming a far more meaningful part of the game than it ever was before.

I'd like to see the one point convert moved to the 20 yard line (27 yard field goal) and the 2 point convert moved back to the 5 instead of the current 3 yard line. While I loved the idea of moving the 1 point attempt back, I feel that the league went too far with it, heck even going to the 15 yard line (22 yarder) I'd be okay with. IMO the league had a massive overreaction to last season and putting the 2 point convert at the 3 clearly is the league trying to "force" teams to go for it., which IMO isn't a good thing as over time the 2 pointer will become less exciting.

I'd like to see the one point convert moved to the 20 yard line (27 yard field goal) and the 2 point convert moved back to the 5 instead of the current 3 yard line. While I loved the idea of moving the 1 point attempt back, I feel that the league went too far with it, heck even going to the 15 yard line (22 yarder) I'd be okay with. IMO the league had a massive overreaction to last season and putting the 2 point convert at the 3 clearly is the league trying to "force" teams to go for it., which IMO isn't a good thing as over time the 2 pointer will become less exciting.

a two point convert will NEVER become less exciting

However I enjoy the strategic aspect of choosing to go for one or go for two. The problem is that it wasn't much of a decision anymore so we rarely saw teams go for 2. Now the decision is tougher, generating more discussion and ultimately becoming a far more meaningful part of the game than it ever was before.

Agree 100%.

Thinking about the Toronto-Saskatchewan game, would you have liked to see it end, after Toronto drove the entire field to score a major, on a missed 1 point convert?

I wouldn't and that's why I really dislike the new convert.  Kicking is already a HUGE part of the Canadian game without adding to the difficulty of the convert.  I also think moving the 2 pt convert to the 3 just devalues points, and I'm not sure why teams aren't going for 2 more.  The Bombers are a good example.  That triple option with Marve, Cotton, Marshall that they run on short yardage would probably be about 80% on 2 pt converts over the long haul.

I'd rather they force teams to go for 2 from the 5 than any other change they've made, but personally I'd just leave it how it always was and let the players decide the games, not the kickers.

"I'd rather they force teams to go for 2 from the 5 than any other change they've made, but personally I'd just leave it how it always was and let the players decide the games, not the kickers." This whole chain of reasoning sounds frustrated and self contradictoryy

Don't know why more teams aren't going for the 2 - all you have to do is operate at a 51% clip for it to be more beneficial than going for 1 (assuming those are automatic, which they aren't)

As said earlier in this thread, Marve/Cotton/Marshall could operate at a much higher clip than that. If O'Shea suddenly woke up tomorrow and decided he was ALWAYS going to go for 2, I would not be upset.

"I'd rather they force teams to go for 2 from the 5 than any other change they've made, but personally I'd just leave it how it always was and let the players decide the games, not the kickers." This whole chain of reasoning sounds frustrated and self contradictoryy

Let me simplify:  Creating more opportunities for kicking to influence the outcome of a game which is already heavily influenced by the kicking game is the opposite of exciting for me.

No, it is stupid.

And the idea that the CFL has to come up with a half dozen or more rule changes every year just because they can is incredibly stupid.  Rule changes should happen because you have a problem with the existing ones, a problem that is glaringly obvious and needs to be fixed.  Not because Tim from Flin Flon is allowed to send in the suggestions that wandered thru his ether addled head.

Let's face it..kicking is a part of the game. A big part. You can look at the new convert rule as having too much influence on the outcome of the game or, you can realize that out league is a leader in amending one part of the game - the convert, that was boring in its automaticacy ( new word, not as boring) and challenging the Coaches to think again about the 2 point convert.

Maybe by missing a convert, you'll have to try the 2 point version.

And besides, now I actually watch the converts.