Pre-season- Game 2 - HAM @ WPG

TrueBlue

Stanley Bryant looked like he was playing his first CFL game.  Only a couple sacks, but Willy took about 4 full throttle shots.  Lots of miscommunication on the left side of that offensive line.  That's my biggest concern headed into the season.  

Punt returns look like they are going to be an adventure to start the season.  

Rule changes having little effect beyond the convert, which is still stupid IMO.  Once a few teams lose games on PAT's, the conversation around that rules committee table will change.  The punt change is meaningless because other than the snapper the rest of the guys on the line have always stayed in until the ball is gone.  Teams are adding extra guys on the outside of the 5 who have to stay to counteract.  The no contact beyond 5 yards on pass plays is not being enforced anywhere near the way it was touted.

Couldn't agree more. How ridiculous is it going to be when the biggest story of a lot of games is how the kicker did on converts?

My thoughts on the game: Punt coverage was excellent by the special teams. Kickoff coverage, not so much. Robert Marve sure is exciting to watch. I have no idea if he would be an effective quarterback, but his couple drives in garbage time 2 years in a row have been thrilling.

Wish I could have seen the game, but from listening on the radio....

The new receivers, who were doing really well against our DB's in TC didn't do well against Hamilton's DB's.

Willy's our starter.  Brohm and Portis didn't do much.  Marve added a spark that the others simply don't have.

All teams run vanilla in preseason.  Our vanilla shouldn't be worse than other teams vanilla.

On those three points, I'd just like to add:

There was some nice catches by the int and NI players that weren't necessarily big plays, but nice routes and catches in traffic. Collin had a beauty across the middle.

I thought Portis looked good. Moved the ball decently, nice foot work and was mobile. He would have had a first down scramble had he not let up to make a move. He was caught from behind when he did.

All teams run vanilla, but there definetly different degrees. Hamilton, was always sending at least one guy deep and it was often Fantuz (ha he dropped an easy one) or Grant, Or they would run about 15 yards up to run a corner etc. Even in TO/MTL game, they had guys running more than just hooks and 5 yard outs. Thats pretty much all our guys did. Especially our man play makers. Denmark had a nice catch on the corner route, but moore had 4 catches and I'm fairly sure they were all within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. While I didn't like a lot of what I saw. It was painfully obvious they weren't showing anything.

The new receivers, who were doing really well against our DB's in TC didn't do well against Hamilton's DB's.

Willy's our starter.  Brohm and Portis didn't do much.  Marve added a spark that the others simply don't have.

All teams run vanilla in preseason.  Our vanilla shouldn't be worse than other teams vanilla.

There was some nice catches by the int and NI players that weren't necessarily big plays, but nice routes and catches in traffic. Collin had a beauty across the middle.

I thought Portis looked good. Moved the ball decently, nice foot work and was mobile. He would have had a first down scramble had he not let up to make a move. He was caught from behind when he did.

All teams run vanilla, but there definetly different degrees. Hamilton, was always sending at least one guy deep and it was often Fantuz (ha he dropped an easy one) or Grant, Or they would run about 15 yards up to run a corner etc. Even in TO/MTL game, they had guys running more than just hooks and 5 yard outs. Thats pretty much all our guys did. Especially our man play makers. Denmark had a nice catch on the corner route, but moore had 4 catches and I'm fairly sure they were all within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. While I didn't like a lot of what I saw. It was painfully obvious they weren't showing anything.

Like I said, I couldn't see the game so thanks for providing your insight.

As for our vanilla....  A bunch of short throws with a few big plays are the hallmarks of a MB offence.  Pretty much what we've seen since he became the OC.

As for our vanilla....  A bunch of short throws with a few big plays are the hallmarks of a MB offence.  Pretty much what we've seen since he became the OC.

Yeah, I'm worried about MB as the OC still. But will give him the benefit of the doubt for the first bit. My buddy told me, every team MB has been on has been ranked at least bottom 3 for sacks given up. Hopefully that changes this year.

Yeah, I'm worried about MB as the OC still. But will give him the benefit of the doubt for the first bit. My buddy told me, every team MB has been on has been ranked at least bottom 3 for sacks given up. Hopefully that changes this year.

I won't.  He's a mediocre (if that) OC.  He should have been kicked to the curb a long time ago.

I know I'm in the minority saying this, but I still think Bellefeuille's offenses are better built than Lapolice's were.  I think the key is having balance between those short passes, intermediate passes, and long balls.  Sometimes Bellefeuille or Drew Willy get a bit too hooked on the long ball or trying to find a play too far downfield when they're better suited to hit the short route.  Though in a sense, I do like doing that instead of what that idiot Lapolice did when he'd get hooked on those garbage short routes on 2nd and long and constantly play that conservative mainy approach.

What Bellefeuille just needs to do is just add a bit more of a play fake blend to those to keep the defense guessing on which pass is coming.  But also, let's not confuse lack of effective playcalling with lack of execution, cuz that seems to happen a lot here.

No way.  LaPo is yards better then MB.  And what are you talking about?  Last year that's all MB did was have Willy throw short yardage when we needed 8+ yards.

Last game we through away a couple games by going for the home run when we all we needed was a first down. The game in Saskatachewan would be one example, I think that was more Willy be stupid than anything though.

I know I'm in the minority saying this, but I still think Bellefeuille's offenses are better built than Lapolice's were.  I think the key is having balance between those short passes, intermediate passes, and long balls.  Sometimes Bellefeuille or Drew Willy get a bit too hooked on the long ball or trying to find a play too far downfield when they're better suited to hit the short route.  Though in a sense, I do like doing that instead of what that idiot Lapolice did when he'd get hooked on those garbage short routes on 2nd and long and constantly play that conservative mainy approach.

What Bellefeuille just needs to do is just add a bit more of a play fake blend to those to keep the defense guessing on which pass is coming.  But also, let's not confuse lack of effective playcalling with lack of execution, cuz that seems to happen a lot here.

And I'll add that the lack of execution by some of our players is the exact reason for exhibition games.

It may not be fair to judge a player(s) on a single game or two, but that's all they have.

C'est la vie.

Our OC, imo, is not unlike most OCs. When effective, they look quite brilliant (see start of 2014). When stumbling, (see the rest of 2014), questions arise quickly and second guessing starts anew. You can look to George Cortez as another example. Genius one year, kicked to the curb the next. Who's right?

As to Willy, this is the year Willy has to start looking like a starting QB.

He both, scares me and fascinates me at the same time.

The D?

Sounds like even with a simple attack, they got beat by a simple offence, led by a QB who 'gets' the game and loves to attack the other team. Willy hasn't shown that instinct yet. But they are different style QBs.

Our B/U QBs are still a big concern for me. Nobody has shown they are a potential starting QB, and isn't that what we want?

Without seeing the game it is hard to comment further. All I know is Hamilton whipped us...in an exhibition game. It must be noted that we play them in our second league game and if there was a reason to not show many facets of our game..I hope that that is the one.

No way.  LaPo is yards better then MB.  And what are you talking about?  Last year that's all MB did was have Willy throw short yardage when we needed 8+ yards.

Wrong on both counts.  Whenever Durant was not behind center, Lapolice's play calling stunk to high heaven and was unwatchable.  Unacceptable on all counts and if he was as good as people say he is, every single one of those 7 other teams would've been pounding on his door and blowing up his phone telling him he has a job as coach or OC after he got fired here.  That didn't happen and for good reason.

And trust me there were way more long balls thrown by our offense last year on 2nd and long than there had been in a while.  It was sometimes good, sometimes not good, sometimes Willy did need to check it down instead of trying for a home run like he did in the Banjo Bowl, or against BC in that final game last year.  But all in all, at least I can say this offense wasn't playing not to lose like that f***ing clown Lapo tried to instill here.

And I'll add that the lack of execution by some of our players is the exact reason for exhibition games.

It may not be fair to judge a player(s) on a single game or two, but that's all they have.

C'est la vie.

Our OC, imo, is not unlike most OCs. When effective, they look quite brilliant (see start of 2014). When stumbling, (see the rest of 2014), questions arise quickly and second guessing starts anew. You can look to George Cortez as another example. Genius one year, kicked to the curb the next. Who's right?

As to Willy, this is the year Willy has to start looking like a starting QB.

He both, scares me and fascinates me at the same time.

The D?

Sounds like even with a simple attack, they got beat by a simple offence, led by a QB who 'gets' the game and loves to attack the other team. Willy hasn't shown that instinct yet. But they are different style QBs.

Our B/U QBs are still a big concern for me. Nobody has shown they are a potential starting QB, and isn't that what we want?

Without seeing the game it is hard to comment further. All I know is Hamilton whipped us...in an exhibition game. It must be noted that we play them in our second league game and if there was a reason to not show many facets of our game..I hope that that is the one.

I'd include Drew Willy in that list - guy who was brought here because of potential but hasn't shown it yet. Collaros looks like CFL elite, Willy not so much. I truly hope he steps it up but also hope management doesn't wait forever to replace him if he fails to produce. Most of the ingredients are there for him to succeed, except maybe OC.

I wasn't at the game and was able to listen to only the second and third quarters, but it sounded like the glowing optimism many of us had going into training camp may be a bit premature. Granted that these were both pre-season games with a lot of sorting out to do, but it looks like our receivers are not going to be as good as hoped and the defence is going to take both tweaking and time to get up to speed. I'm thinking that the first 3 or 4 games are going to a struggle for the Bombers, so lets not get too down on the team just yet.

I'd say whatever happens with this team, be patient because it's not about who's hot early on, it's about who's hot late in the year from September on through early November.  The way our team is built, and the way our schedule seems to be playing out, I think we got a great chance to make a run late in the year.  Running game should be good this year and as long as Cotton is healthy, we got a bruiser who can make it happen at that time.