Politics (Split Thread)

You can't just put an entire broadcast crew together on 3 days notice.... Lol. Let's enjoy some Irving, folks...

Not with that attitude you can't

You guys in Alberta have only been NDP for three weeks and you've already adopted their "can't do" attitude. That's not what Alberta was built on... :)

According to the polls this morning ...looks like the NDP are on their way to be elected federally.......I guess there's always the states to reside in...BUT wait, no, those commie Democrats are running that show as well...lord help us...

Canada is screwed if we elect Mulclair and Co.

According to the polls this morning ...looks like the NDP are on their way to be elected federally.......I guess there's always the states to reside in...BUT wait, no, those commie Democrats are running that show as well...lord help us...

LOL - a poll conducted this far out before the election and before the summer months even really start is completely meaningless. The NDP have stirred up some discontent with a lot of fear-mongering over Bill C-51 but almost everyone will have forgotten about it after a few days at the beach. Here in BC the NDP were leading in the polls big time well into the election, and it was only when people started to realize that the NDP might win, and all of the crap that would bring with it, did everyone wake up and start going another direction. I don't see that being much different on a federal level.

the polls show 3 parties essentially neck and neck, so in that case it depends on where the votes are concentrated and say what you want about Harper and the Conservatives but they know how to get elected and they have been targeting ridings as opposed to sheer popular vote numbers. Basically they are trying to win seats not get 40%+ popular vote. It would take a huge collapse of their base in order for the NDP to win I think. Now the Liberals, that's an interesting story. Nice to see Trudeau the saviour blowing up in their faces. Serves them right. 

Most of Trudeaus support has headed to Mulcair....IF that sticks we could have an NDP govt....Just face it ..Harper is in trouble big time...much like the Alberta Conservatives were.. I guess we should ignore the polls here suggesting Pallister is gaining ground on the NDP here then..I hate political discussion on a football forum as well, but news stories this morning, by two very solid national political pollsters, can't be ignored ..Gonna be a hot time at the voting booth in a few months...bet on it..And as far as the LAST b.c. election is concerned...believe me Tom Mulcair is no baffoon like Adrian Dix...

Most of Trudeaus support has headed to Mulcair....IF that sticks we could have an NDP govt....Just face it ..Harper is in trouble big time...much like the Alberta Conservatives were.. I guess we should ignore the polls here suggesting Pallister is gaining ground on the NDP here then..I hate political discussion on a football forum as well, but news stories this morning, by two very solid national political pollsters, can't be ignored ..Gonna be a hot time at the voting booth in a few months...bet on it..And as far as the LAST b.c. election is concerned...believe me Tom Mulcair is no baffoon like Adrian Dix...

Big difference on the federal stage though is that the right is not fractured like it was in Alberta. If there was a federal Wildrose party then yeah, it would be Mulcair's time to shine. He'd have to recall all of those career NDP stooges who just jumped into the Alberta pork barrel last week.

LOL - a poll conducted this far out before the election and before the summer months even really start is completely meaningless. The NDP have stirred up some discontent with a lot of fear-mongering over Bill C-51 but almost everyone will have forgotten about it after a few days at the beach. Here in BC the NDP were leading in the polls big time well into the election, and it was only when people started to realize that the NDP might win, and all of the crap that would bring with it, did everyone wake up and start going another direction. I don't see that being much different on a federal level.

The bill itself is nothing but fear-mongering.

The bill itself is nothing but fear-mongering.

Federal servers were attacked today by Anonymous over Bill C51. I blame Harper.

On the plus side, I have sfa to do until it's fixed.

You really don't understand what happened in Alberta do you? Here let me tell you what happened, and it started a long time ago, well before this election or even the one before that. When Ralph Klein stepped down Stelmach was elected leader of the PCs. This was not popular because in the leadership convention he was not the first choice for most of the party, he won based on the strength of 2nd and 3rd place votes. A guy from Edmonton leads the PCs, that didn't sit well with Southern Alberta (aka Calgary) and a lot of the support from Calgary (where all the big corporations are housed) shifted to the Wild Rose party. They built up steam and looked poised to win in the election before last because Stelmach really started to lose support with the way he handled oil and gas royalties and started spending more than the government was taking in. So the PCs elected Redford as the leader thanks to liberals being fearful of a further right WR government jumping on her side and voting en masse to keep the WR out.This gutted the Liberal party and gave Redford her big majority. She then proceeded to treat the government funds like her own personal piggy bank and never show any remorse for it instead choose to cry sexism. This did not sit well with Albertans and everyone was ready to boot her out. So Prentice comes in and calms the storm a bit.... until he puts his foot in his mouth a couple times and drops a budget that was the exact opposite of what Albertans were asking for. Because he gamed the WR into most of them crossing the floor he thought his opposition was all gone and he could coast to another mandate. Basically saying to Alberta "Yeah you're pissed at us, but what are you going to do? Vote NDP?" This was nothing to do with the NDP and everything to do with the PCs getting tossed out. The fact that the races were so close in a lot of ridings shows how undecided the voters were on what they wanted. The one thing Alberta wanted was the PCs kicked out of office, they couldn't decide who to elect though. The Wild Rose was gutted just before the election, the Liberals and Alberta party couldn't even field a full slate of candidates, the only party without a crisis on it's hands was the NDP and they became the defacto place for unhappy people to park their vote. I know a lot of people who would never vote NDP who voted for them just because they wanted the PCs booted out so badly. 

That's the key difference. Harper hasn't pissed off Canada to the extent that 40+ years of PC governments in Alberta had. There are lots of questions about how the NDP will do. Can they overcome the Bob Rae stigma in Ontario? Will Quebec still vote enmasse for them like they did last time or will they feel that the ultra federalist policies of the NDP aren't in Quebecs best interest? Too early to put much faith in polls because C-51 is still fresh in peoples minds, that will fade by election time and the Conservative machine is very good at controlling the message. 

NDP and Liberals split the left.  Cons win another majority.  At least let's hope so.  Trudeau has been exposed as an empty suit.  People will start to think more thoughtfully closer to the election and realize that 1) we're in pretty good shape 2) The fear mongering about Harper has been much ado about nothing.  There is only so often the opposition can say "if you elect Harper he will destroy the country" before people realise it's nonsense.

Some people like the idea of an NDP government but when push comes to shove, cant bring themselves to actually vote that way.  On the other hand, some people always think the grass is greener.  Canada is in good shape. 

Harper has been almost as good a Prime Minister as Brian Mulroney. Harper`s church believes that a worldwide nuclear holocaust beginning in Jerusalem will bring Jesus back, He tried to deny Canadian servicemen (and women) proper ramp honours when their bodies were returned to Canada, got 157 military killed, and between 600-800 permanently disabled in an American war which was obviously unwinnable from the start, muzzled scientists who dared to say climate change was real, and spent between 5 and 9 billion dollars in Afghanistan in a lost cause with no tangilble benefit,

His people tried to block voters, and suppress voting in the last election. Harper tried to illegally appoint a judge to the Supreme Court against advice, and removed inspectors from meat-packing plants leading to two of the biggest tainted-meat recalls in our history

.When he tried to blame torture in Afghanistan on the military, the top general contradicted him with proof that Harper`s government knew all along, so four months later, the general was forcibly `retired`. Harper said that he would get rid of the useless Senate by refusing to appoint any more senators when vacancies were created- Harper has appointed more senators (all Conservative toadies like Duffy and Wallin) than any other Prime Minister since confedation. And his government slashed railway inspection regulations because they were unncessary-remember Lac Megantic,anyone

Harper has been almost as good a Prime Minister as Brian Mulroney. Harper`s church believes that a worldwide nuclear holocaust beginning in Jerusalem will bring Jesus back, He tried to deny Canadian servicemen (and women) proper ramp honours when their bodies were returned to Canada, got 157 military killed, and between 600-800 permanently disabled in an American war which was obviously unwinnable from the start, muzzled scientists who dared to say climate change was real, and spent between 5 and 9 billion dollars in Afghanistan in a lost cause with no tangilble benefit,

His people tried to block voters, and suppress voting in the last election. Harper tried to illegally appoint a judge to the Supreme Court against advice, and removed inspectors from meat-packing plants leading to two of the biggest tainted-meat recalls in our history

.When he tried to blame torture in Afghanistan on the military, the top general contradicted him with proof that Harper`s government knew all along, so four months later, the general was forcibly `retired`. Harper said that he would get rid of the useless Senate by refusing to appoint any more senators when vacancies were created- Harper has appointed more senators (all Conservative toadies like Duffy and Wallin) than any other Prime Minister since confedation. And his government slashed railway inspection regulations because they were unncessary-remember Lac Megantic,anyone

you post on reddit don't you?

You really don't understand what happened in Alberta do you? Here let me tell you what happened, and it started a long time ago, well before this election or even the one before that. When Ralph Klein stepped down Stelmach was elected leader of the PCs. This was not popular because in the leadership convention he was not the first choice for most of the party, he won based on the strength of 2nd and 3rd place votes. A guy from Edmonton leads the PCs, that didn't sit well with Southern Alberta (aka Calgary) and a lot of the support from Calgary (where all the big corporations are housed) shifted to the Wild Rose party. They built up steam and looked poised to win in the election before last because Stelmach really started to lose support with the way he handled oil and gas royalties and started spending more than the government was taking in. So the PCs elected Redford as the leader thanks to liberals being fearful of a further right WR government jumping on her side and voting en masse to keep the WR out.This gutted the Liberal party and gave Redford her big majority. She then proceeded to treat the government funds like her own personal piggy bank and never show any remorse for it instead choose to cry sexism. This did not sit well with Albertans and everyone was ready to boot her out. So Prentice comes in and calms the storm a bit.... until he puts his foot in his mouth a couple times and drops a budget that was the exact opposite of what Albertans were asking for. Because he gamed the WR into most of them crossing the floor he thought his opposition was all gone and he could coast to another mandate. Basically saying to Alberta "Yeah you're pissed at us, but what are you going to do? Vote NDP?" This was nothing to do with the NDP and everything to do with the PCs getting tossed out. The fact that the races were so close in a lot of ridings shows how undecided the voters were on what they wanted. The one thing Alberta wanted was the PCs kicked out of office, they couldn't decide who to elect though. The Wild Rose was gutted just before the election, the Liberals and Alberta party couldn't even field a full slate of candidates, the only party without a crisis on it's hands was the NDP and they became the defacto place for unhappy people to park their vote. I know a lot of people who would never vote NDP who voted for them just because they wanted the PCs booted out so badly. 

That's the key difference. Harper hasn't pissed off Canada to the extent that 40+ years of PC governments in Alberta had. There are lots of questions about how the NDP will do. Can they overcome the Bob Rae stigma in Ontario? Will Quebec still vote enmasse for them like they did last time or will they feel that the ultra federalist policies of the NDP aren't in Quebecs best interest? Too early to put much faith in polls because C-51 is still fresh in peoples minds, that will fade by election time and the Conservative machine is very good at controlling the message. 

Good post 17/85..Oh I full well know what happened in Alta....mainly there is big change in the voting demographic there.....More young people who aren't attached to the old party regimes are voting and I would expect the same will happen in the federal....Harper and his cronies....Duffy gate and all of the other borderline criminal actions this fed. govt. has taken part in ...Del Mastro...conservative senators are front and centre and will be when the writ is dropped...Harper won't survive and it's beginning to show in the polls...Hello Tom Mulcair..

Harper`s church believes that a worldwide nuclear holocaust beginning in Jerusalem will bring Jesus back,

See, when you write something this stupid, it just makes it harder for guys like me, the undecided voter, to join your team. You guys really are your own worst enemies.

He tried to deny Canadian servicemen (and women) proper ramp honours when their bodies were returned to Canada,

Why would he care?

got 157 military killed, and between 600-800 permanently disabled in an American war which was obviously unwinnable from the start,

Time to buy a calendar, guess who was in power when Canada went into Afghanistan.

muzzled scientists who dared to say climate change was real,

No he didn't, and of course climate change is real, it's changing all of the time.

and spent between 5 and 9 billion dollars in Afghanistan in a lost cause with no tangilble benefit,

Back to Afghanistan, the war that started five years before the Conservatives were ever elected. This is like the morons that blame Nixon for Vietnam, and give Kennedy and Johnson a free pass because they were Democrats.

And his government slashed railway inspection regulations because they were unncessary-remember Lac Megantic,anyone

And if the ****-head leftists would stop blocking pipelines, no oil would have to be transported by rail.

Good post 17/85..Oh I full well know what happened in Alta....mainly there is big change in the voting demographic there.....More young people who aren't attached to the old party regimes are voting and I would expect the same will happen in the federal....Harper and his cronies....Duffy gate and all of the other borderline criminal actions this fed. govt. has taken part in ...Del Mastro...conservative senators are front and centre and will be when the writ is dropped...Harper won't survive and it's beginning to show in the polls...Hello Tom Mulcair..

But statements like that show that you don't know what is going on. Change in demographics? No, people got fed up with the PCs full stop. Even people who have been voting for them for 40 years got fed up with them. That is it. No one was supporting the NDP, you look at some of the loser candidates who got elected and you see this was about punting the PCs out on their asses and the wild rose being decimated prior to the election and unable to mount any kind of challenge. It is a completely different situation to what is going on federally. There was no big shift in Alberta, just the voters got tired of the PCs behaving badly and it was building for a long time before it actually happened. It might have been the WR last time if not for last minute panic about a change. So the PCs got another chance and behaved even worse than they had been so people finally threw them out.