Politics (Split Thread)

Hopefully the NDP win federally. This country needs a shakup. We've been stagnating for the past 20 years.

yeah cause the NDP always reviatalizes things... yikes. I fear for this country if the NDP get in federally. full blown constituational crisis because they just won't be able to keep their dirty little fingers out of provincial territory. 

Hopefully the NDP win federally. This country needs a shakup. We've been stagnating for the past 20 years.

What the hell does that even mean?  Canada has been leading the world in economic growth consistently and are one of the best countries in the world to live in.  If that's stagnation I'll take it.  Go travel the world a bit and come back, and you'll appreciate what we have a lot more. Travel to places like Egypt, Vietnam or Myanmar, those people would give both their left and right nuts to move to Canada and get to a land that offers such amazing opportunity.  Have a look at those idiots in the EU, trying to prop up those lazy commies in Greece.  Now THAT's stagnation.

What the hell does that even mean?  Canada has been leading the world in economic growth consistently and are one of the best countries in the world to live in.  If that's stagnation I'll take it.  Go travel the world a bit and come back, and you'll appreciate what we have a lot more.  Have a look at those idiots in the EU, trying to prop up those lazy commies in Greece.  Now THAT"s stagnation.

Perhaps be a tad less patronizing? You don't know what I've done or experienced.

The economy isn't the be all and end all (and we're nothing special in that regard) - we're stagnating in social progress, environmental progress and healthcare among other things. I didn't say Canada is a bad country to live in.

yeah cause the NDP always reviatalizes things... yikes. I fear for this country if the NDP get in federally. full blown constituational crisis because they just won't be able to keep their dirty little fingers out of provincial territory. 

That Alta. election had a lot to do with the undecided vote...and once again it is up for grabs and contrary to your statement demographics did play a part in the result...You fear the NDP...yikes...re-electing that bunch of crooks, who now hold power in Ottawa would be a more worrisome horror story...Guess we'll see in a few months how it all plays out and the real poll is conducted, that being the actual election....IF it were held today....Mulcair would most likely have a minority govt....we shall see.

Perhaps be a tad less patronizing? You don't know what I've done or experienced.

Then perhaps be a tad bit more forthcoming when you use words like "stagnating". How about that?

The economy isn't the be all and end all (and we're nothing special in that regard)

Actually Canada is, but I don't want to be patronizing and tell you why.

- we're stagnating in social progress, environmental progress and healthcare among other things.

Social progress? What the hell does this mean? Environmental progress?? Like what? Oh right, you want Canada to waste billions on a corrupt carbon trading scheme, all in the name of "fighting" man-made climate change. Yes, waste billions all so that some Euro-trash will like us more, but achieve absolutely nothing. Healthcare- ok - yes - there definitely are huge problems with health care. That's a political football I don't see any party tackling though. Even tiny changes to the status quo cause almost everyone in this country to completely lose their ****, and start crying about "American style health care". It really is a losing proposition to even talk about health care anymore as a politician in this country, other than to keep promising to dump more and more money into it, for no discernible gain.

That Alta. election had a lot to do with the undecided vote...and once again it is up for grabs and contrary to your statement demographics did play a part in the result...You fear the NDP...yikes...re-electing that bunch of crooks, who now hold power in Ottawa would be a more worrisome horror story...Guess we'll see in a few months how it all plays out and the real poll is conducted, that being the actual election....IF it were held today....Mulcair would most likely have a minority govt....we shall see.

Keep parroting that line about shifting demographics, it's not true. It was obviously the undecided voters that played a role, you know what the biggest cause of being undecided was? "I really want to kick the PCs out but I dunno who to vote for" NDP captured peoples attention and rode the momentum in but that's all it was. It was a "**** you Jim Prentice" vote nothing more. Contrary to popular belief Alberta has never been the backwards social conservative place people like to think. The PCs were the very definition of a big tent middle of the road party. They were all encompassing which is why no one could threaten them. They drew from the right and the left equally. Alberta has always been a pretty progressive place, we just like our money out here and we like our governments to be responsible with it. The total disregard that Redford and co. showed for the tax payers was the straw that broke the camels back. Running deficits while being as entitled as that is a sure fire way to get the voters against you. Then having the new guy tell Albertans to look in the mirror is the push they need to stop voting for you. 

You think there will be no scandals and crooks if the NDP win? That's just a fact of forming government. There is always back room deals and money going places it shouldn't. It's a nice dream to have that government will be responsible but it never happens. I quite frankly don't trust the NDP. They have too many silly ideas about what to do with money. got a deficit? Just raise taxes. No thought to cutting the fat and lessening the tax burnden on people, just tax and spend, tax and spend. That's a sure fire way to stagnate a country. 

Yea I'm done talking to you. If you want to have a civil discussion on politics, you should be a little less hostile to people that hold different views than you.

LOL. I just don't like the NDP, and see them as the worst option possible. I also see a lot of people use excuses like "stagnation" as to why they should take over power, and I don't get why we need to needlessly waste billions of dollars on absolutely no positive value, just so that we aren't "stagnant" in some peoples' minds.

Yea I'm done talking to you. If you want to have a civil discussion on politics, you should be a little less hostile to people that hold different views than you.

LOL. I just don't like the NDP, and see them as the worst option possible. I also see a lot of people use excuses like "stagnation" as to why they should take over power, and I don't get why we need to needlessly waste billions of dollars on absolutely no positive value, just so that we aren't "stagnant" in some peoples' minds.

The tax and spend philosophy of the NDP is a surefire way to stagnate the country, at leas the Conservatives and Liberals agree that you need to entice businesses to actually operate in the country. The NDP views corporations as their own private money stash for half baked social programs. 

The tax and spend philosophy of the NDP is a surefire way to stagnate the country, at leas the Conservatives and Liberals agree that you need to entice businesses to actually operate in the country. The NDP views corporations as their own private money stash for half baked social programs. 

There's really no evidence to support that position. The NDP actually have the best fiscal record of the major parties at the provincial level. This is straight up cold war style ideology and it hurts political discourse in this country.

The country is already stagnant, the NDP literally couldn't do any worse.

There's really no evidence to support that position. The NDP actually have the best fiscal record of the major parties at the provincial level. This is straight up cold war style ideology and it hurts political discourse in this country.

Just because Tommy says it doesn't make it true. Look at the NDP in Ontario from 1990-1995, terrible fiscal record, In B.C. 72-75, terrible, B.C. 91-2001, terrible, Manitoba 1999-2014, terrible, Nova Scotia 2009-2013, terrible. I'll give you Rommanov in Saskatchewan. The rest? Higher taxes and fees, government waste and scandal, huge increases in debt.

Just because Tommy says it doesn't make it true. Look at the NDP in Ontario from 1990-1995, terrible fiscal record, In B.C. 72-75, terrible, B.C. 91-2001, terrible, Manitoba 1999-2014, terrible, Nova Scotia 2009-2013, terrible. I'll give you Rommanov in Saskatchewan. The rest? Higher taxes and fees, government waste and scandal, huge increases in debt.

No, it's true because it's true

[The NDP actually have the best fiscal record of the major parties at the provincial level..

This is pure horse-****. We suffered through two long terms of horrible NDP economic stewardship in BC, including bending over for the BCTF and giving the lunatic union carte blanche on deciding class size and composition. Yes you heard that right. The NDP gave the union the power to decide how many teachers should be hired. How dumb is that. Just mind-boggling how dumb. 17 years later the current government is still fighting in the courts to get that reversed. Bob Rae was a freaking disaster in Ontario and the NDP just got booted out of New Brunswick after only one horrible term. Now the new government is trying to cut costs, but finding it impossible because the idiot NDP gave all government employees life-time job security. Boneheads.

Whoever sold you this nonsensical bill of goods about the NDP having the best fiscal record is flat-out lying to you. If it was your university prof (more than likely) you should go get your money back.

No, it's true because it's true

LOL - same posting pattern of brain-washed leftists at other political sites I visit - state a complete untruth, then link to a union-funded garbage leftist blog as "proof" that the lie they are stating must be true, see a bunch of union-funded bozos say its true. It's pure garbage. What we have in BC right now sucks for a government, but it's still better than the NDP, who was wiped out 77-2 in 2001 here in BC. If they were so great, why did they almost get completely obliterated? Because they sucked. Alberta has to find that out now the hard way.

Raging ice. Your using anarticle that is over four years old, speaks about balanced budgets, not economics, and is authored by a union hack. None of that inspires this vote to go left. I want business people, problem solvers, running this country. Not union hacks and idealists with no sense of work ethic, and out of touch with real productive people.

Raging ice. Your using anarticle that is over four years old, speaks about balanced budgets, not economics, and is authored by a union hack. None of that inspires this vote to go left. I want business people, problem solvers, running this country. Not union hacks and idealists with no sense of work ethic, and out of touch with real productive people.

I would bet that guy is counting the 1996 BC budget as a "balanced" budget for the NDP, when in fact it was proven after the election that the NDP fudged it and then lied about it to get re-elected. Oh the pain we could have avoided if the NDP had lost that 1996 election.

The numbers are pulled from Stats Canada and are referenced directly in the article. Discounting his argument based on his political leanings is intellectually dishonest. The age of the article is irrelevant because pretty much every province in the country has been running deficits the past 4 years (so unlikely to change comparative rankings).

What metric do you use to measure "economics". Unless you back up your claim, it holds far less weight than the article I posted.

Raging ice. Do you have an idea why it's refered to as a balanced budget? Do you realize when you tax people, like Paul Martin did, your going to keep raking in the money. A balanced budget is not economic activity.

Referring to intellectual honesty, do you know what that means? in fact you are the phrase in an incorrect context. The author and your interpretation is dishonest.

The guys a hack. He has an axe to grind. He works for a union. Get it?

Actually, you are the one using the term economics and confused it with budgets.

I know I'm doing better under the current federal government. That is the weight that I measure. And that is what matters to this citizen.

No leftie gets my vote. And I'm proud of that.

Raging ice. Do you have an idea why it's refered to as a balanced budget? Do you realize when you tax people, like Paul Martin did, your going to keep raking in the money. A balanced budget is not economic activity.

Referring to intellectual honesty, do you know what that means? in fact you are the phrase in an incorrect context. The author and your interpretation is dishonest.

Actually, you are the one using the term economics and confused it with budgets.

I know I'm doing better under the current federal government. That is the weight that I measure. And that is what matters to this citizen.

One thing that bugs me about the NDP more than most things, and that is that they don't allow free thought or dissidents in their party. You MUST agree with the ideological mantras, and you cannot question the lies they spin. Thus you end up with people like RagingIce, who can't see the proof of how bad the NDP is, no matter what is shown.

One thing that bugs me about the NDP more than most things, and that is that they don't allow free thought or dissidents in their party. You MUST agree with the ideological mantras, and you cannot question the lies they spin. Thus you end up with people like RagingIce, who can't see the proof of how bad the NDP is, no matter what is shown.

Frankly there isn't a political party that really inspires my vote but to suggest that harper encourages or tolerates dissent or free thought within his party seems silly at best. Seems like quite the control freak.

Being patronizing isn't conducive to a civil discussion. I never claimed a balanced budget was "economic activity", I claimed that NDP know how to balance a budget better than the CPC or Liberals (one sign of being a sound fiscal manager).

By intellectual dishonesty I was pointing out that you're engaging in an ad hominem argument to discredit the source. This is not a sound argument unless you can show that his background is tainting his argument.

I did not confuse "economics" with "budgets" as you so say. I did not conflate them anywhere in my post.

Until you provide a shred of evidence to support your view, you're far more of a "hack" than he is. If you think the Conservatives are better fiscal managers, prove it. Spouting ideology like "No leftie gets my vote" is essentially giving up on your argument and resorting to talking points.